Dark and Gritty VS Cartoony. Diablo 3's aesthetic. Thoughts?

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Summarized opinion at the end if you want to skip wall of text that arguments opinion.

One of Diablo 3's major criticisms was it's aesthetic shift from dark and gritty to WoW-ish cartoony graphics. I understand where this comes from, Diablo is set in a dark, brutal world and the visual style is what most reflects that, but I've always found it kinda funny how much rage the physical phenomenon of light diffracting in atmospheric water has caused in this game.

Personally I wasn't much pleased about their choice, but It was never really an issue since I love Diablo's gameplay and not it's graphics, but the more I think about it, the more I understand Blizzard's choice for this shift.

Take a look at Team Fortress 2, It's cartoony graphics have allowed the developers to create all the characters with very unique and easily identifiable silhouettes and this in the end greatly affects gameplay itself. You can see at a moment's glance who and what you're fighting, you can see at a moment's glance if the moving thing in the distance is an ally of enemy (bright Red/Blue team colors that don't look horrible because of the cartoony graphics) and you can focus on taking appropriate action, not wondering who that is.

Blizzard too have realized that cartoony graphics have this advantage (same design philosophy has gone into the WoW races. They have very different silhouettes so that in PvP you know exactly what you're fighting. Oh, and the very similar looking gear that everyone is complaining about serves the same role. At a moment's glance you know it's a Troll Warrior you're fighting because of the character's shape and gear)

Cartoony graphics have also allowed WoW to have low-spec graphics (that more people can enjoy since you don't need a high-end rig to play) that don't look horrible. Any MMO that has tried to look realistic has failed because they either had to tone down the graphics, encountering an Uncanny Valley like effect or ramp up the hardware requirements, alienating potential players.

My last comparative example is League of Legends. Fast paced PvP competitive game, where being aware of what is happening is VITAL to the ability to play well. They used the same design idea for their characters, all unrealistically proportioned, ridiculously geared BUT very, very distinctive. No two characters really look the same. So far the same story as above. But their rich cartoony color palette has allowed them greater visual diversity between spells and effects too, so that you can both easily identify who you're fighting as well as what your opponent is doing. Try designing umpteen different looking spells in a game like Gears of War where you have your pick of brown, dark brown and all the gray you want.

So coming back to Diablo 3 I understand why developers have chosen this aesthetic. It allowed them to improve the core gameplay (and after all, isn't that what games are all about?) and I'd much rather have proper gameplay than a game that looks the part, but it's aesthetic choice cripples it's gameplay.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that, after considering the above, I prefer the cartoony graphics over the dark/gritty/realistic option. Yes, cartoony subtracts something from the feel and atmosphere, but what it adds to the gameplay itself far outweighs that.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
The Cool Kid said:
The cartoon look is shit. Diablo has never been light hearted, or comical. The fact that the gold grabbing pigs etc have been dropped due to this reinforces the notion that they are just using WoW designers for a game that should be entirely different in aesthetics to WoW.
Arguing specs is nonsense - Diablo 2 has low specs and doesn't have a cartoony look to it.
That is really not what I've said. I've argued specs in the case of WoW, not Diablo, and that was just one advantage their cartoony graphics gave them, by allowing them to keep it low spec but not look like utter shit. The comparison to Diablo 2 is irrelevant since that was a 2d game that wasn't THAT low spec for the year it launched anyway. Again, it's not the case for Diablo3.

Also the point of mentioning WoW's low spec graphics was that it's aesthetic choice is grounded in logic and serves a clear purpose not because they just like it that way, or had no better ideas.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Dark and gritty sucks.

I suggest they make the next Diablo an anime, just like Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.

Yay.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
What, Diablo 3's shift to cartoony?

That ship already sailed, my man, let me introduce you to D2...

Also, the possessive form is "its" -- no apostrophe.

Anyway, let me quote myself from the news article about pets:
evilneko said:
You know, I already wasn't going to get Diablo 3 because of the online requirement, but even setting that aside, the screenshots have convinced me not to. It just doesn't look like it'll have the atmosphere I'm looking for: that dark, gritty, horrific atmosphere from the first game. I loved it, and I despised D2 for killing it and turning everything into silly cartoon world.
Oh, I also forgot to mention, removing all challenge. Boring clickfest, D2 was.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I like the new D3 look a whole lot.

It's stylized, but no less dark, the violence and horror is still there.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
I don't get the outrage here. I played a hell of a lot of D2, grew up playing it with my brother even. It just becomes a bit of a joke if everything is grim. Many Warhammer 40k writers make this mistake. It needs to be broken up with a sunny day or a day or two of relaxation for the character. In a world of only darkness who cares about it being dark?

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Layz92 said:
I don't get the outrage here. I played a hell of a lot of D2, grew up playing it with my brother even. It just becomes a bit of a joke if everything is grim. Many Warhammer 40k writers make this mistake. It needs to be broken up with a sunny day or a day or two of relaxation for the character. In a world of only darkness who cares about it being dark?
How do we really know how dark something is without contrast?

Its worse to kill something that is cute, then it is to kill something that is ugly.

Sad truth.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
I want colour. I want nice, easy to look at, uplifting scenery. If I wanted a screen full of black I would turn the fucking thing off. So hey, they wanna make it more colourful and give me something interesting to look at, sweet as.

LilithSlave said:
I suggest they make the next Diablo an anime, just like Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.
Just looked that up. Damn that game looks pretty. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
It's not even nearly as stylized as Warcraft was. All they did was decide to add color to the game world and everyone got all up in arms for some reason.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
I think most 40K is pretty far into the realm of self-parody by now, its, sorry, it's like a running gag now how much more darkly grim they can get each story.

Now the ones who take it super cerealy, their, oops, they're even funnier.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
The Cool Kid said:
VladG said:
The Cool Kid said:
The cartoon look is shit. Diablo has never been light hearted, or comical. The fact that the gold grabbing pigs etc have been dropped due to this reinforces the notion that they are just using WoW designers for a game that should be entirely different in aesthetics to WoW.
Arguing specs is nonsense - Diablo 2 has low specs and doesn't have a cartoony look to it.
That is really not what I've said. I've argued specs in the case of WoW, not Diablo, and that was just one advantage their cartoony graphics gave them, by allowing them to keep it low spec but not look like utter shit. The comparison to Diablo 2 is irrelevant since that was a 2d game that wasn't THAT low spec for the year it launched anyway. Again, it's not the case for Diablo3.

Also the point of mentioning WoW's low spec graphics was that it's aesthetic choice is grounded in logic and serves a clear purpose not because they just like it that way, or had no better ideas.
Cartoony graphics don't give you an advantage in terms of performance. As I said, Diablo 2 is low specs yet not cartoony. WoW was done as it was because it was probably seen to be more appealing to a wider player base.
Dear lord, do you even bother to read? Of course cartoony graphics don't give a boost in performance, they do however make games that use low-res textures and low poly models not look horrible as opposed to the same low quality graphics made to look realistic. Wait, your Diablo 2 argument just confirms that you don't bother to read.
Diablo 2 is irrelevant to the argument. Let me say that again. Diablo . 2 . Irrelevant . To . Argument. It's 2d. No low poly count.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Somonah said:
I have the beta, and i don't see the cartoony aspect you people are talking about. show me an example of cartoony.

colour =/= cartoony.
Agreed, but everybody seems hell-bent to dislike the graphics, and calling them cartoony makes them feel more justified. So I went along with it.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, nothing will be more gritty and serious than Diablo 2 Moo Moo Farm cow level.