Dark Knight Director Doesn't Like 3D

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
And this is why I like this guy. Well that, and the fact he resurrected the Batman franchise after Schumacher murdered it.

Gamegirl22

Oct 29, 2009
Bravo. I'm glad someone in an movie industry speaks out against it. I'm getting tired of seeing every hyped upcoming movie trailer stating 'now in 3D'.
I mean, I don't really HATE 3D all that much and if it helps the atmosphere of the movie (How To Train Your Dragon for example) then I don't care. But now it seems every movie needs to be made in 3D even (or especially) when it's not required.
I recently saw the new Disney 'Tangled' trailer and when it ended saying 'In 3D', I just wanted reach out on my monitor and shake it, screaming "WHY!? WHAT'S THE POINT!"

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"[O]ne of the reasons why I'm a little reluctant about 3D at the moment [is] because I find it, as a viewer, impossible to forget that I'm watching a film. I think until they can find a way around that, it's going to be problematic."
I have never seen a better case of "qft" in my life. I've watched a total of 3 movies in 3D:

Beowulf: It was interesting, but just felt gimmicky.
Coraline: It worked well for this movie, I'll admit.
Avatar: Barely even noticed it, meanwhile it was hard to watch the movie itself, thankfully I had already seen it in 2D before this, so it didn't hurt the movie for me.

In all three cases I felt that I was too distracted looking for 3D effects to just watch the movie. After-all, I paid an extra $3 for this, so I might as well see the difference. The only problem though is that what I gained in nifty 3D effects I lost in not being able just sit and watch. Perhaps there's something to be said about animated films though, as I will admit that Coraline worked fairly well in the format.

It's interesting to see an industry expert talking about it though. I could tell you on any day of the week that I don't like 3D movies over-all (or at least, that it's a gamble at best), but it's interesting to see some of the technical details behind it too. I never would have guessed, for example, that a 3D movie is actually lower quality than the 2D version.