Dark Knight won't be able to top Avengers

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Just read this interesting article on yahoo.

Essentially Dark Knight won't be able to top Avengers because Nolan hates the 3D format. Since 3D tickets are more expensive, DKR will be hard pressed to try and top the ticket sales with a strictly cheaper price. It'll be harder still because the Avengers "saturday morning cartoon" style endeared it to younger audiences, with the action and dialogue being good enough to entertain the older audiences. Meanwhile, Dark Knight's darker tone and de-emphasis on the fighting make it less fun for the younger kids.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me how much less money Dark Knight makes. I like what Nolan is doing to eliminate some of the staler tropes of the comic movie genre. I'm not saying Avengers isn't a good movie, I just respect the people who do something different more, and I share Nolan's hatred of the 3d format.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
I didnt realise that there was a big issue between the DKR trying to top the avengers in terms of box office.

For me the bigger, more interesting issue is whether the DKR will be as good as the dark knight. Heaths ledgers potrayal of the joker made that film, it will be difficult for the DKR to at least match the intensity of the dark knight.
Could not care less whether its better than the avengers or not

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
It doesn't matter considering that the Avengers also had the extra help of having at least six films to gather fans for it. The Dark Knight has only had three.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
prophecy2514 said:
I didnt realise that there was a big issue between the DKR trying to top the avengers in terms of box office.

For me the bigger, more interesting issue is whether the DKR will be as good as the dark knight. Heaths ledgers potrayal of the joker made that film, it will be difficult for the DKR to at least match the intensity of the dark knight.
Could not care less whether its better than the avengers or not
I agree with this really. Couldn't care less if it sells more, only if its a good film really. I dont think it will be better than Dark Knight but I still reckon its going to be a pretty decent film.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Why are you comparing box office performances? Does it have something to do with quality or something? Or are you one of the shareholders?

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Speaking as someone who works at the third busiest multiplex in North America, I'm not so sure. We prepared for the Avengers sure, we were expecting to get hit hard, but we've been preparing for the Dark Knight Rises since the Dark Knight came out. I started working there 14 months ago and people were still talking about how DKR was going to be a month straight of hell. For a little comparison, we sold about 1200 tickets for the midnight shows of the Avengers, a mark we hit 3 days ago for the Dark Knight Rises. We've sold more than 2200 tickets for opening day already, not including more than 1700 for the midnight shows.

dogstile said:
It doesn't matter considering that the Avengers also had the extra help of having at least six films to gather fans for it. The Dark Knight has only had three.
Not sure that's an apt comparison. By the same token, Ice Age 4 should do better than the latest batman by virtue of being a fourth installment. Well, maybe that's a poor comparison. Better example; another Land Before Time movie should do much, much better than Ice Age 4 due to beign an x-billionth installment.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
bafrali said:
Why are you comparing box office performances? Does it have something to do with quality or something? Or are you one of the shareholders?
Because the films that do well in the box office are the ones that set the trends for future films to follow.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Axolotl said:
bafrali said:
Because the films that do well in the box office are the ones that set the trends for future films to follow.
So we can look forward to more crossovers that is a product of four different film series? Doesn't seem likely to me

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Abandon4093 said:
I am sure they will attempt at a crossover but not likely a long term one since till they get around to Avengers scale, gimmick will wear off

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
irishda said:
Essentially Dark Knight won't be able to top Avengers because Nolan hates the 3D format.
However, Dark Knight Rises is coming out on Imax, which costs more than your average lung. So that will help it to a degree. I know Avengers came out on Imax as well, but The Dark Knight had several sections in filmed specifically with Imax film (and it was AWESOME!), so I expect this one to have the same.

Here's hoping anyway.

Also, I really liked the first two Nolanman's, I hope this one's good. I loved Avengers too, it's sort of the anti-Nolan movie, flinging itself at comic book tropes with gleeful abandon rather than trying to subvert or take them overly seriously. I hope there's plenty of space in blockbuster land for both!

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
That's basically the only reason I was planning on watching DKR, not because it might once again be one of the greatest superhero movies ever (Dark Knight completely destroys Avengers and is only rivaled by V for Vendetta in my opinion). Canceling my tickets now, damn it.

Have fun watching your possibly excellent movie that isn't going to top avenger sales, LOL.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
...Who cares about the money made? I don't. I'm just interested in which turns out to be the better film. (Will probably be DKR, deal with it)
This really. Box office figures are irrelevant. I'm glad Chris Nolan hates 3D too, I personally can't stand it.

Even if Dark Knight Rises were to be a flop, Nolan will still be a great director. He's not given to making shallow blockbusters.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Dark Knight Rises still looks like it's going to be one heck of a show.

Regardless of how much money it makes, I'd be thrilled if it ended up being better than The Avengers in quality (which it most likely will), because I loved The Avengers and having another helping of spectacular cinema will make my day.

Which will probably lead to my dissapointment when the inevitable necessary reboot is nowhere near as good.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
MoNKeyYy said:
Speaking as someone who works at the third busiest multiplex in North America, I'm not so sure. We prepared for the Avengers sure, we were expecting to get hit hard, but we've been preparing for the Dark Knight Rises since the Dark Knight came out. I started working there 14 months ago and people were still talking about how DKR was going to be a month straight of hell. For a little comparison, we sold about 1200 tickets for the midnight shows of the Avengers, a mark we hit 3 days ago for the Dark Knight Rises. We've sold more than 2200 tickets for opening day already, not including more than 1700 for the midnight shows.

dogstile said:
Not sure that's an apt comparison. By the same token, Ice Age 4 should do better than the latest batman by virtue of being a fourth installment. Well, maybe that's a poor comparison. Better example; another Land Before Time movie should do much, much better than Ice Age 4 due to beign an x-billionth installment.
I'm thinking more along the lines that all of the films leading up to it are quite different and appeal to different people, but the avengers brings everyone together for the one film. I certainly remember going to see hulk and it basically being deserted, but iron man was always filled and avengers was so hard to get a ticket for that I actually saw it in 3D (no, it didn't suck people, it didn't make it better, but it didn't suck)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
irishda said:
I just respect the people who do something different more
I'm not sure I agree with this part of OP. I think a multi-movie project, that's tonally faithful to the comics keeping bright costumes and over the top concepts is just as innovate and refreshing as another grim serious Batman movie. But don't get me wrong, I love both.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
croc3629 said:
Regardless of how much money it makes, I'd be thrilled if it ended up being better than The Avengers in quality (which it most likely will), because I loved The Avengers and having another helping of spectacular cinema will make my day.
I have to express my agreement with this. Having more good films to watch is always a good thing, and there is nothing wrong with a movie being more excellent than an excellent film.

I'm probably going to the midnight showing of this. I am so freaking excited.