Dark Souls 2 - FS new patch is burning witches

MikeTheMugger

May 6, 2010
I was all set for starting a new sorcerer character today, as part of my skit for the RFC "mike the mugger" channel on youtube. I noticed that a new patch was on the news bulletin on the load screen but didnt think much of it at the time. But an hour into my session i hit a small setback, From Software patched Dark Souls 2 today in the middle of my play-through. Apparently the sorcerer class is on the receiving end of a heavy-handed nerf. Ballocks! What was supposed to be a fun juant through Drangleic instead turned into a slog. I find my spells are now almost useless against bosses! I'm willing to bet this is because of PvP'ers whining that magic is OP. Fuck off with your meta-game shit, From Software, this is why multi-player should never be mandatory in a game. Keep that shit seperate!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If you don't care about multiplayer at all you're free to play offline, in which case you don't have to put up with patches if you don't want them.

MikeTheMugger

May 6, 2010
I don't mind the co-op. But I don't PvP hardly ever. There should be different servers for co-op and PvP. A lot of these patches are "balancing" for PvP, but these patches affect every aspect of the game. Im not sure that playing offline would revert my game. Even a fresh install may come pre-patched. Im screwed either way.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
MikeTheMugger said:
I don't mind the co-op. But I don't PvP hardly ever. There should be different servers for co-op and PvP. A lot of these patches are "balancing" for PvP, but these patches affect every aspect of the game. Im not sure that playing offline would revert my game. Even a fresh install may come pre-patched. Im screwed either way.
What are you playing on, PC, PS3, Xbox?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
MikeTheMugger said:
PC, I got it on steam.
Since you're on the PC you may be in luck. You can probably system restore to before the patch, then go into steam and tell the game not to auto update, and then play in offline mode so that it doesn't update when you start the game.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Edit: Accidental double post.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
MikeTheMugger said:
I may try that out. I'll have to go online with it eventually though. I need co-op footage for streaming.
If you go online you'll automatically re-update the game. For some reason steam thinks that "don't automatically update" means "don't automatically update when steam starts, but update the moment I want to actually play the game."

So if the restore point works and you manage to restore the game to a repatch state you should set up another restore point before going online again, just so that you can restore to a more recent point later if you want to play offline without the patch again. What a pain in the ass.

I can't believe that steam doesn't allow you to manually remove patches but the xbox 360 does. It's baffling to me, especially considering a patch is way more likely to mess something up for PC players than for console players since consoles are standardized.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
MikeTheMugger said:
I'm willing to bet this is because of PvP'ers whining that magic is OP.
Probably not, because magic is the weakest school of spellcasting in pvp by far. I can't even remember the last time a sorc hit me with a projectile spell, way too easy to roll straight through. Seriously, every time a sorc casts a spell at you, you can just roll-slash them for free.

JustCallMeJonny

Oct 26, 2013
Benpasko said:
MikeTheMugger said:
I'm willing to bet this is because of PvP'ers whining that magic is OP.
Probably not, because magic is the weakest school of spellcasting in pvp by far. I can't even remember the last time a sorc hit me with a projectile spell, way too easy to roll straight through. Seriously, every time a sorc casts a spell at you, you can just roll-slash them for free.
Sorceries were real popular around launch (PS3 specifically I noticed this) but lost it's popularity real fast in favor of pyromancies.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
The real problem is the huge nerf to the number of casts for offensive miracles. My faith-strength build is now completely gimped with Lightning Spear uses down from 11 to 3 (and Emit Force from 8 to 4), and the Defender Greatsword got nerfed as well for some reason.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
I can't believe that steam doesn't allow you to manually remove patches but the xbox 360 does. It's baffling to me, especially considering a patch is way more likely to mess something up for PC players than for console players since consoles are standardized.
Really? That is seriously screwed up.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
This is a joke right? Sorcery is the least powerful spell school in PvP by miles as someone mentioned above. Pyromancies and hexes are what it's all about, and actually hexes are stronger than sorceries for a pretty long time in PvE too.

So if you're going to blame it on somebody, blame it on a straight-up weird decision on From's part.

As for "PvP should be separate", no. There are plenty of games that allow you to choose between PvE and PvP. There should be some for those predatory people who like to expose others to PvP at random and without invitation. Dark Souls is ours. Don't like it, play it offline.

MikeTheMugger

May 6, 2010
Candidus I see where you're coming from but a lot of players like Dark Souls and dislike the random shoehorned PVP. Co-op should not be the price one pays to deal with reds and blues. And burning human effigies takes away white signs. Anyways, my real problem is with these patches, which are released to balance PVP issues, but wind up messing with single-player even in offline.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
MikeTheMugger said:
Candidus I see where you're coming from but a lot of players like Dark Souls and dislike the random shoehorned PVP. Co-op should not be the price one pays to deal with reds and blues. And burning human effigies takes away white signs. Anyways, my real problem is with these patches, which are released to balance PVP issues, but wind up messing with single-player even in offline.
Just do what I and the rest of the fanbase is doing: Blame the B team and or enjoy the DLC that's better than the vanilla game/go back to Dks1 and Demons.

But in all seriousness... just blame the f***in B team. You need to give credit to Miyazaki's team, it took them awhile but at least their patches took into mind that both PVE and PVP needed balance and fine tuning with every complaint heard. Just look at the last Dks2 patch for PVE... it was 1.03 and it made the game EVEN EASIER. Now it's just PVP patches where (minus the DLC) MAKES THE GAME A GIANT CAKE WALK or an unbalanced mess, whatever you prefer to stab at.

... why is Soul Memory still a thing..............

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Good. I have no idea why, but I get hit by one magic...thing and 90% of my health is gone. Also they nerfed my poor Drangleic sword +5. I just beat Velstadt with it in NG+, but I can't use any other sword. Its moveset is the best, the perfect combo between agility and power.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
not sure if you know this but late game spells become really stupidly powerful

crystal soul spear can easily do 1k on you, put that with fast cast speed, fast travel speed and the fact that its quite easy to spam (if you farm, you can easily get around 15 casts or more)

my problem with magic in general is that while some spells are clearly better than others, you have those few spells which are so insane powerful that they just wreck pvp

example being

WoTGs, near instant cast, 1k+ damage

crystal, already mentioned

affinity, unlike homing mass, affinity takes a little bit more stats but a pure caster can easily get over 1k with tracking balls of death (and they can sometimes circle around and catch you off guard or open you up for a crystal spear in the face)

greater lightning spear (end tier), 1k+ easy damage, getting this hit is hard but it has some tracking to it so if you roll toward them when they prepare it, you can kiss your ass goodbye)

there's a few more like climax but i can't remember anymore (or used them)

MikeTheMugger

May 6, 2010
EHKOS said:
Good. I have no idea why, but I get hit by one magic...thing and 90% of my health is gone. Also they nerfed my poor Drangleic sword +5. I just beat Velstadt with it in NG+, but I can't use any other sword. Its moveset is the best, the perfect combo between agility and power.
I hear you man, I run fighters too and really they need to just stop nerfing everything. You get into a good groove and then they fuk it up...

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
If you go online you'll automatically re-update the game. For some reason steam thinks that "don't automatically update" means "don't automatically update when steam starts, but update the moment I want to actually play the game."
That isn't weird at all. If you are going to play the game, which starts in online mode, then you need to be updated to the supported version of the game used by everyone else.

OT: Why would they need to nerf spells? They are only a threat to fat roll characters or when you run out of stamina. And they weren't that strong for PvE either, lightning has always done more.