Dark Souls 2 is sadistic.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
We
BreakfastMan said:
Kopikatsu said:
BreakfastMan said:
God damn, the Skeleton Lords were so damn easy. That fight is just unfair. For them. XD Also, Harvest Valley looks like the new Blightown, so I am not going to be doing that area anytime soon... Going to try the first boss in Lost Bastille, I think. Anyone have any tips for it?

Also, it appears you can rank up the Blue Sentinels covenant without playing online somehow. Not sure how that works, however. Was in Majula, and decided to randomly talk to the Blue Covenant guy, and found I had ranked up. 'Tis weird.

And that map in the mansion; not sure what is going on there or what use it might serve later down the line. Still, it is pretty cool little thing, regardless. :p
Skeleton Lords and the Congregation are both really easy and are the same 'type' of boss. Royal Rat Vanguard is another in that line, but he's not actually all that easy. _>

Harvest Valley isn't bad when you know where to go. No, the new Blighttown is The Gutters/Black Gulch. It's the worst.
Is there any easier way to get to the ruin sentinels? Because just running past the billions of enemies on the way to them appears to be a no-go...
Which bonfire are you coming from? If it's the last one on the list (the one you get to from Forest of Fallen Giants), then it's super easy. You just have to kill two guards and a handful of Royal Swordsmen.

Buuuuut if that's not for you... when you get to the room with the Swordsmen, run past them to the middle floor, go down the little hallway to the ladder, then go up and head to the right at the top. The boss gate is right there, and the NPC Phantom summon is right next to it inside one of the cells.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
BreakfastMan said:
Kopikatsu said:
BreakfastMan said:
God damn, the Skeleton Lords were so damn easy. That fight is just unfair. For them. XD Also, Harvest Valley looks like the new Blightown, so I am not going to be doing that area anytime soon... Going to try the first boss in Lost Bastille, I think. Anyone have any tips for it?

Also, it appears you can rank up the Blue Sentinels covenant without playing online somehow. Not sure how that works, however. Was in Majula, and decided to randomly talk to the Blue Covenant guy, and found I had ranked up. 'Tis weird.

And that map in the mansion; not sure what is going on there or what use it might serve later down the line. Still, it is pretty cool little thing, regardless. :p
Skeleton Lords and the Congregation are both really easy and are the same 'type' of boss. Royal Rat Vanguard is another in that line, but he's not actually all that easy. _>

Harvest Valley isn't bad when you know where to go. No, the new Blighttown is The Gutters/Black Gulch. It's the worst.
Is there any easier way to get to the ruin sentinels? Because just running past the billions of enemies on the way to them appears to be a no-go...
Just murder everything in the level ~10 times so it'll stop respawning.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Anyone find Memory of Dragon? Supposedly it's in Duke's Dear Freya's boss room, but the only thing I found there was a weird red light that, when examined, said 'GREAT SOUL EMBRACED' and turned blue.

Freya confuses me on top of that. It seems implied that it used to be the pet of the Hollow you find in the next room, but it's title as the Duke's pet, presence of some crystals in the area, the fact that Memory of Dragon is (supposedly) there, and that it drops the Paledrake Soul implies that it belonged to Seath.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Woo, double post. I beat the game and went into NG+. Very first area of the game where there were originally no enemies; five enemies of two new enemy types ambush you (Falconers, who have falcons that can attack independently), and two Black Phantoms attacked immediately after that. This is before even talking to the Fire Keepers at the VERY BEGINNING of the game.

NG+ is where the real Dark Souls 2 experience starts, I guess.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
Woo, double post. I beat the game and went into NG+. Very first area of the game where there were originally no enemies; five enemies of two new enemy types ambush you (Falconers, who have falcons that can attack independently), and two Black Phantoms attacked immediately after that. This is before even talking to the Fire Keepers at the VERY BEGINNING of the game.

Before switching over to NG+ did you slaughter all the friendly NPC's to gather there goods?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
PrimitiveJudge said:
Kopikatsu said:

Before switching over to NG+ did you slaughter all the friendly NPC's to gather there goods?
SURE DID. Ironically McDuff gives you good crafting gear when he dies. Ironic because he's the smith, lol.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Finished, the final boss was somewhat easy except for that one asshole attack she does, limiting considerable my movement options. Those two bosses before her gave me far more trouble, I thought i'd never this but they made me miss Skinny and Fatty.
And before heading out to NG+ I want to finish any remaing storylines, I already got the Mapbro armor, the headless dude armor and the captain Drummond armor. I want to see if Lucatiel will hollow if I go there and tell her that I murdered her brother, mostly because I want her hat...

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:
To me it seems a bit more artificially difficult than Dark Souls one, because healing items are much harder to come by and Estus Flasks can only be gotten one at a time on top of already being hard.
You find Estus Shards you give to the Level up woman to upgrade your flask with more charges. You get up to Dark Souls 5/uses pretty quick by exploring Majula.
I'm aware, but I've only found two so far giving me 3 flasks. So I don't know what I'm missing if you are right.

There were a bunch in the Huntsman's Copse-branch of areas. I'm at +5 with 7 uses at the moment, although some areas I didn't explore very thoroughly for one reason or another (COUGHBRIGHTSTONEISBULLSHITCOUGH)
Huh? Never heard of either. Must be down that well 'cause the only other way I could see was blocked by a petrified human.
It's past the petrified woman. You need a Branch of Yore. The easiest ways to get one for you would be...either kill Lost Sinner or go to Harvest Valley. Harvest has toooons.
Again, what? I won't be able to continue playing until Sunday but it is clear to me that I'm lost.
Alright. What was the last major thing that you did in-game? Rather, what bosses have you killed so far?
Had a lovely reunion with an old friend from DS1.
I take it that you've killed Dragonrider then? Considering he's the easier of the two.

If so, at the bonfire on top of Dragonrider's arena, there's a woman who sells miracles. Exhaust her dialogue and then head back to the place between Majula and Tower of Flame where there was that thing that said 'The contraption will not move'. She'll move it for you for 2000 souls. The path that opens leads to Huntsman's Copse. From there you can go towards the Undead Purgatory (And pick up a Sublime Bone Dust beside Executioner's Chariot's boss door) or Harvest Valley.
I was referring to Pikachu of the Pikachu and Snorlax team, but yes Dragonrider is dead.
I knew you meant Ornstein. That's why I said I'd assume you killed Dragonrider too, since Dragonslayer is a bit tougher.

Anyway, yeah. There are two petrified people that concern you right now. The first is the one blocking your way further into the Shaded Ruins. She's the Pyromancer trainer- and has a fun little miniquest where she wants you to give her clothes to wear. I happened to unstone her a bit later than usual, so I was able to set her up with the Desert Sorceress set (Since you don't know what that is...very skimpy. Desert Sorceress' are basically courtesans.)

The other is in a cell in the top of Lost Bastille blocking the way to a bonfire. He's a merchant that gives you a great set of armor for freeing him, sells magic, and will trade lower-class boss souls for boss weapons/shields/spells. Lost Bastille can be reached two ways, through No Man's Wharf (The harder route), or through Forest of Fallen Giants (By killing Pursuer, which leads to the easier route)

PrimitiveJudge said:
Yeah I am fighting him too, He hits a lot harder now too. oh and I hate that small room he's in

EDIT: Is fighting the skeleton grim reapers with the bonewheels the only option I have on getting through Huntsmans area because that fight sucks as a mage.
Yeaaaah. It sucks as every class. (Aside from Pyromancer, I guess. Firestorm OP)

You could try summoning a Phantom to help you out.

Edit: If you're a Mage, are you using the Magic Mace? That thing ruins Skeletons like nobody's business.
So I'm now in Huntsman's Whateveritwas but I don't know where to go for the Branches of Yore.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
So I'm now in Huntsman's Whateveritwas but I don't know where to go for the Branches of Yore.
Copse. Kill the Skeleton Lords to get into Harvest Valley. There are like three Branches of Yore just scattered around the area.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Got a Branch of Yore and un-pretrifyed the pyromancy merchant. And wandering around that forest beyond the gate, I found a foggy area filled with invisible enemies. It is just the worst thing ever. D: Not sure where to go next, honestly. Don't want to fight the pursuer by myself, so doing the first boss in Lost Bastille is pretty much out. Suppose I could do Harvest Valley so more, or fight that guy from the pirate ship again, but I really don't want to... D:

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Got a Branch of Yore and un-pretrifyed the pyromancy merchant. And wandering around that forest beyond the gate, I found a foggy area filled with invisible enemies. It is just the worst thing ever. D: Not sure where to go next, honestly. Don't want to fight the pursuer by myself, so doing the first boss in Lost Bastille is pretty much out. Suppose I could do Harvest Valley so more, or fight that guy from the pirate ship again, but I really don't want to... D:
Flexible Sentry is easy if you have a mage on your party. See if you can't summon one for the fight. You should get used to him though, because he shows up as a normal enemy guarding the Shrine of Winter later.

Pursuer, same deal. If you do the trick with the Ballista, it shaves of all his health at the start. Also, there are a LOT of Pursuers in this game. One in Iron Keep, the boss fight, the second one in Forest of Fallen Giants, two of them in Drangleic Castle...

The boss for Harvest Valley is actually in Earthen Peak, but he's really easy. A giant worm that just rolls around.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
After playing only the original Dark Souls, It seems to me you just learned the first rule of Dark Souls: Trust no one!

While I need to wait for the PC version of the game, I'm happy to hear it's sticking with it's themes. And I want to think you for these news.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
So hey. I'm making a new character with the intent of helping out people who are struggling in certain areas. If you're on the PS3, feel free to PM me on here and I'll see what I can do. Since I have a firm grasp of the mechanics now, I can create a bit of a twink. So hopefully if it comes to it, you can just hang back while I deal with all the hard parts.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Copse. Kill the Skeleton Lords to get into Harvest Valley. There are like three Branches of Yore just scattered around the area.
Well now I've seen the fog door behind the waterfall that I suspect houses the Skeleton Lords but have no Humanities (what it's called now is too hard to type) and dangerously low vitality due to hollowing. Any ideas where to get some?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Well now I've seen the fog door behind the waterfall that I suspect houses the Skeleton Lords but have no Humanities (what it's called now is too hard to type) and dangerously low vitality due to hollowing. Any ideas where to get some?
Did you get the Human Effigy on the second story of the Fire Keepers' hut? I didn't find it until I went back to look into using a Soul Vessel, heh.

Alternatively, outside of the Cathedral of Blue is the Ring of Binding, which limits your max health loss from hollowing (super useful if you're a Pyromancer, since it lets you mitigate the drawbacks of using the Dark Pyromancy Flame). If you don't know where that is, it's in the Tower of Flame. From the big room with the three Old Knights, hang left. Kill the Old Knight overlooking the rest of the level at the end of the path to reveal a lever. Pull the lever and the drawbridge'll come down, leading you to the Cathedral and the chest containing the ring.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
I finally went back and took down the Pursuer Knight. Still couldn't get the ballista thing to work, but as a melee build just circling around to the right dodges a lot of his attacks. Don't worry so much about getting away from him to heal, wait for him to do a combo that you've dodged and then heal. I had made it through most of Bastille and went back and killed him on the first try. He's still one of the harder bosses I've fought in the game.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Did you get the Human Effigy on the second story of the Fire Keepers' hut? I didn't find it until I went back to look into using a Soul Vessel, heh.

Alternatively, outside of the Cathedral of Blue is the Ring of Binding, which limits your max health loss from hollowing (super useful if you're a Pyromancer, since it lets you mitigate the drawbacks of using the Dark Pyromancy Flame). If you don't know where that is, it's in the Tower of Flame. From the big room with the three Old Knights, hang left. Kill the Old Knight overlooking the rest of the level at the end of the path to reveal a lever. Pull the lever and the drawbridge'll come down, leading you to the Cathedral and the chest containing the ring.
Yes to both, any other ideas?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:

You could kill the Fire Keepers for 12 Human Effigies, I suppose. Tho' that means you won't be able to respec until NG+. Although, throwing a Bonfire Ascetic into the bonfire might respawn them.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
cojo965 said:
If you equip the travelling merchant hat (I think thats it, the one Explorer comes with), and kill dogs, they seem to drop Effigy's fairly regularly.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:

You could kill the Fire Keepers for 12 Human Effigies, I suppose. Tho' that means you won't be able to respec until NG+. Although, throwing a Bonfire Ascetic into the bonfire might respawn them.
Seth Carter said:
If you equip the travelling merchant hat (I think thats it, the one Explorer comes with), and kill dogs, they seem to drop Effigy's fairly regularly.
Fan-fucking-tastic, I don't have that hat so murder seems to be the only option.