Dark Souls 2 is sadistic.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
(lol to the fix)

Yeah, I get you. I'm weird though, I abhor fast travel, even in Skyrim. As for the Griffin, I feel kinds cheated cause I fully annihilated it at second encounter, thus disabling that whole quest. Poor thing didn't stand a chance... :(

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
I've discovered the method of beating almost every boss in the game near effortlessly. 'Strafe right'. For whatever reason, most bosses have attack patterns that focus on the left side or the right is simply a blind spot. Duke's Dear Freya is a good example. I struggled with this boss for ages...until I realized that it's laser only went from left to right. By strafing right at mid-range, it would continuously use the laser but have no hope of connecting with it, so it was always left open for a counter attack.

Same deal with The Rotten...and Executioner's Chariot...and basically everyone else.
you've already beaten the game then? or close to?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
cojo965 said:
To me it seems a bit more artificially difficult than Dark Souls one, because healing items are much harder to come by and Estus Flasks can only be gotten one at a time on top of already being hard.
You find Estus Shards you give to the Level up woman to upgrade your flask with more charges. You get up to Dark Souls 5/uses pretty quick by exploring Majula.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
weirdo8977 said:
Kopikatsu said:
I've discovered the method of beating almost every boss in the game near effortlessly. 'Strafe right'. For whatever reason, most bosses have attack patterns that focus on the left side or the right is simply a blind spot. Duke's Dear Freya is a good example. I struggled with this boss for ages...until I realized that it's laser only went from left to right. By strafing right at mid-range, it would continuously use the laser but have no hope of connecting with it, so it was always left open for a counter attack.

Same deal with The Rotten...and Executioner's Chariot...and basically everyone else.
I'm in Drangleic Castle right now. I should have specified, 'it works on almost everyone thus far'. I can't imagine why the pattern would change though.

Edit: Wow. They nerfed Iron Flesh hard in the sequel. Can barely move at the slowest of crawls and it barely helps. It actually got me killed as opposed to helping me stay alive...

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:
To me it seems a bit more artificially difficult than Dark Souls one, because healing items are much harder to come by and Estus Flasks can only be gotten one at a time on top of already being hard.
You find Estus Shards you give to the Level up woman to upgrade your flask with more charges. You get up to Dark Souls 5/uses pretty quick by exploring Majula.
I'm aware, but I've only found two so far giving me 3 flasks. So I don't know what I'm missing if you are right.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:
I'm aware, but I've only found two so far giving me 3 flasks. So I don't know what I'm missing if you are right.

There were a bunch in the Huntsman's Copse-branch of areas. I'm at +5 with 7 uses at the moment, although some areas I didn't explore very thoroughly for one reason or another (COUGHBRIGHTSTONEISBULLSHITCOUGH)

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

There were a bunch in the Huntsman's Copse-branch of areas. I'm at +5 with 7 uses at the moment, although some areas I didn't explore very thoroughly for one reason or another (COUGHBRIGHTSTONEISBULLSHITCOUGH)
Huh? Never heard of either. Must be down that well 'cause the only other way I could see was blocked by a petrified human.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

Huh? Never heard of either. Must be down that well 'cause the only other way I could see was blocked by a petrified human.
It's past the petrified woman. You need a Branch of Yore. The easiest ways to get one for you would be...either kill Lost Sinner or go to Harvest Valley. Harvest has toooons.

Anyone find a point to the boss weapons? The shields are good, the spells are fine, but the weapons themselves... low bases, terrible or no scaling, require Twinkling Titanite to upgrade...

I don't get the use. They look cool, sure, but...

Edit: Also, what's between No Man's Wharf and Hiede's Tower of Flame? It comes up as '???' for me and can't be selected.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

It's past the petrified woman. You need a Branch of Yore. The easiest ways to get one for you would be...either kill Lost Sinner or go to Harvest Valley. Harvest has toooons.
Again, what? I won't be able to continue playing until Sunday but it is clear to me that I'm lost.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

Again, what? I won't be able to continue playing until Sunday but it is clear to me that I'm lost.
Alright. What was the last major thing that you did in-game? Rather, what bosses have you killed so far?

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

Alright. What was the last major thing that you did in-game? Rather, what bosses have you killed so far?
Had a lovely reunion with an old friend from DS1.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

I take it that you've killed Dragonrider then? Considering he's the easier of the two.

If so, at the bonfire on top of Dragonrider's arena, there's a woman who sells miracles. Exhaust her dialogue and then head back to the place between Majula and Tower of Flame where there was that thing that said 'The contraption will not move'. She'll move it for you for 2000 souls. The path that opens leads to Huntsman's Copse. From there you can go towards the Undead Purgatory (And pick up a Sublime Bone Dust beside Executioner's Chariot's boss door) or Harvest Valley.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

I take it that you've killed Dragonrider then? Considering he's the easier of the two.

If so, at the bonfire on top of Dragonrider's arena, there's a woman who sells miracles. Exhaust her dialogue and then head back to the place between Majula and Tower of Flame where there was that thing that said 'The contraption will not move'. She'll move it for you for 2000 souls. The path that opens leads to Huntsman's Copse. From there you can go towards the Undead Purgatory (And pick up a Sublime Bone Dust beside Executioner's Chariot's boss door) or Harvest Valley.
I was referring to Pikachu of the Pikachu and Snorlax team, but yes Dragonrider is dead.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Yeah I am fighting him too, He hits a lot harder now too. oh and I hate that small room he's in

EDIT: Is fighting the skeleton grim reapers with the bonewheels the only option I have on getting through Huntsmans area because that fight sucks as a mage.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Kopikatsu said:
cojo965 said:
Seth Carter said:
cojo965 said:

I was referring to Pikachu of the Pikachu and Snorlax team, but yes Dragonrider is dead.
I knew you meant Ornstein. That's why I said I'd assume you killed Dragonrider too, since Dragonslayer is a bit tougher.

Anyway, yeah. There are two petrified people that concern you right now. The first is the one blocking your way further into the Shaded Ruins. She's the Pyromancer trainer- and has a fun little miniquest where she wants you to give her clothes to wear. I happened to unstone her a bit later than usual, so I was able to set her up with the Desert Sorceress set (Since you don't know what that is...very skimpy. Desert Sorceress' are basically courtesans.)

The other is in a cell in the top of Lost Bastille blocking the way to a bonfire. He's a merchant that gives you a great set of armor for freeing him, sells magic, and will trade lower-class boss souls for boss weapons/shields/spells. Lost Bastille can be reached two ways, through No Man's Wharf (The harder route), or through Forest of Fallen Giants (By killing Pursuer, which leads to the easier route)

PrimitiveJudge said:
Yeah I am fighting him too, He hits a lot harder now too. oh and I hate that small room he's in

EDIT: Is fighting the skeleton grim reapers with the bonewheels the only option I have on getting through Huntsmans area because that fight sucks as a mage.
Yeaaaah. It sucks as every class. (Aside from Pyromancer, I guess. Firestorm OP)

You could try summoning a Phantom to help you out.

Edit: If you're a Mage, are you using the Magic Mace? That thing ruins Skeletons like nobody's business.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
weirdo8977 said:
Kopikatsu said:

I'm in Drangleic Castle right now. I should have specified, 'it works on almost everyone thus far'. I can't imagine why the pattern would change though.

Edit: Wow. They nerfed Iron Flesh hard in the sequel. Can barely move at the slowest of crawls and it barely helps. It actually got me killed as opposed to helping me stay alive...
is there a desert type area in DS2?? cause i know there wasn't in 1 or Demons. that really bummed me out since i thin it would have been awesome to have a desert type lvl.
Not surprised that they nerfed iron flesh. since i was kinda OP last game.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Nah I only have cast light, soul arrow, heavy/greater/greater heavy/greater homing soul arrow. That dude in the tower sells a magic weapon spell, but didn't have enough for it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
weirdo8977 said:
is there a desert type area in DS2?? cause i know there wasn't in 1 or Demons. that really bummed me out since i thin it would have been awesome to have a desert type lvl.
Not surprised that they nerfed iron flesh. since i was kinda OP last game.
The closest I've seen so far is probably Harvest Valley. But that isn't really desert, just... Savannah, I guess.

There are still a lot of places I haven't been to though. If the bonfire list is any indication, I'm only about halfway through the game.

PrimitiveJudge said:
Nah I only have cast light, soul arrow, heavy/greater/greater heavy/greater homing soul arrow. That dude in the tower sells a magic weapon spell, but didn't have enough for it.
Magic Mace isn't a spell, it's a weapon. It's in the caves with the skeletons right beside where the Skeleton Lords are.

Kill the Mage first and it should spawn the Bonewheels. Lure them into a corner and smash 'em all together. Then when they're dead, you should be free to fight and heal at your leisure.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
If it's anything like Dark Souls 1, the fall damage reduction doesn't actually allow you to jump down further than usual. It just reduces the fall damage to nothing as long as the fall would not have otherwise killed you.