Dark Souls 2 Lore discussion and thoughs

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Snip snip

I still think 'Duke' refers to the Hollow in the Lord's Private Chambers.
Personally, I think that the 'Duke' they are referring to is Seath.

The surrounding areas are littered with horrific monsters, not demons, monsters. Manscorpion Tark literally says that he was made by Seath long ago along with all the beasts around him, and he is the only one who retained his sanity. This may be me looking into it too much, but the fact that Brighstone cove is littered with bookshelves is another reason I think they are referring to Seath.

After his death at the hands of the Chosen Undead, maybe his channelers took his research far away to try and carry on with it, and Freya was simply Seath's most cherished experiment. The number of Basilisks and other enemies that inflict curses also makes me think Seath, as curses was his thing. Hell, maybe he even made the curse of undeath to begin with while searching for immortality..

But that is speculation on a totally different level. For now, I think the Duke is Seath the Scaleless.

EDIT: On that note, could it be possible that Seath had a backup plan in case he was indeed killed? Could it be that his lordsoul contained his consciousness as well, and he was basically using the Duke Vengrath to carry on his work? That could possibly explain the big-ass dragon skeleton chilling out in his domain.
There are a lot of holes in this theory, but hey

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Tuxedoman said:
Kopikatsu said:
Snip snip

The surrounding areas are littered with horrific monsters, not demons, monsters. Manscorpion Tark literally says that he was made by Seath long ago along with all the beasts around him, and he is the only one who retained his sanity. This may be me looking into it too much, but the fact that Brighstone cove is littered with bookshelves is another reason I think they are referring to Seath.

After his death at the hands of the Chosen Undead, maybe his channelers took his research far away to try and carry on with it, and Freya was simply Seath's most cherished experiment. The number of Basilisks and other enemies that inflict curses also makes me think Seath, as curses was his thing. Hell, maybe he even made the curse of undeath to begin with while searching for immortality..

But that is speculation on a totally different level. For now, I think the Duke is Seath the Scaleless.

EDIT: On that note, could it be possible that Seath had a backup plan in case he was indeed killed? Could it be that his lordsoul contained his consciousness as well, and he was basically using the Duke Vengrath to carry on his work? That could possibly explain the big-ass dragon skeleton chilling out in his domain.
When who is the guy hanging out in Lord's Private Chambers? Like, literally his only purpose is to be like 'This guy here is the Duke'. See his fancy robes, nice ring, and cozy place underneath Tesdora?

Also, the dragon skeleton isn't Seath. You can use the Ashen Mist Heart to 'dive' into the memory of the one whose bones they belong to.

The bones are back from when the world was gray and ruled by Dragons.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The Spider Sword seems to imply the Duke was Human, but morphed into whatever later. Seath was always a (crappy) dragon. The Duke could be the Pygmy/Manus though? Or its some lead in for DLC.

The Hollow could just be a looter. I mean, Vengarth's body was down in there too, so its apparently accessible to those not impaired by game mechanics (or they got in before Freya camped out across the entrance).

Speaking of which, did I miss meeting the Ashen Knight before summoning him for that fight? I think I found all the other phantoms first, but don't recall him.

Other tangents, is there any backstory behind why the Belfry's are being defended? Ringing the bells seems rather insignificant to be bothered. Pharrod's Gates too. The Grave of the Saints at least sounds like something important, in theory. Compared to DS1 where the Forest was defending Artorias Grave, and the other defender covenant was if you killed the Goddess.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Seth Carter said:
The Spider Sword seems to imply the Duke was Human, but morphed into whatever later. Seath was always a (crappy) dragon. The Duke could be the Pygmy/Manus though? Or its some lead in for DLC.

The Hollow could just be a looter. I mean, Vengarth's body was down in there too, so its apparently accessible to those not impaired by game mechanics (or they got in before Freya camped out across the entrance).

Speaking of which, did I miss meeting the Ashen Knight before summoning him for that fight? I think I found all the other phantoms first, but don't recall him.

Other tangents, is there any backstory behind why the Belfry's are being defended? Ringing the bells seems rather insignificant to be bothered. Pharrod's Gates too. The Grave of the Saints at least sounds like something important, in theory. Compared to DS1 where the Forest was defending Artorias Grave, and the other defender covenant was if you killed the Goddess.
Ashen Knight Boyd, Felicia the Brave, and Jester Thomas (Did I miss any?) just seem to be random Phantoms that don't appear in the game world.

Dan Wright

Mar 20, 2014
Mahorfeus said:
JaxxtheII said:
I have a theory about the boss The Lost Sinner. Could it be possible that he is actually Artorias? He wields a greatsword, he does crazy acrobatics, I could be wrong (as I never got to play the abyss dlc in dark souls 1) but Artorias did succumb to insanity in the abyss did he not? Maybe he escaped and was imprisoned on the Sinner's Rise? The bug crawling into his eye doesn't make any sense but I think it's a possibility.
Averted by the fact that the Lost Sinner is a woman.
He could have hopped into the sec-change coffin. Even gender is questionable now. But no, I don't think it is Artorias.

Dan Wright

Mar 20, 2014
I think the Lost Sinner is referring to the bug inhabiting the person. I think it is the Bed of chaos critter that is atoning for her sin of trying to relight the first flame and cause demons to be born. I believe that the gender of the actual person with the sword is not being referred to.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
It does say the Lost Sinner imprisoned herself though. The bug (while I also got the impression from the cutscene that was the real boss, and the corpse was an aside) doesn't seem particularly imprisoned.

Given the parallel worlds, she could just be the 'Chosen Undead' of one of the others, who didn't succeed, but did get as far as gaining the soul piece she has.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Lukirre said:
Drangleic is built on the same lands that Lordran was built on. Lordran fell after the inevitable age of Dark (since even if you link the fire, it will eventually extinguish -- See: Straid's dialogue, Gwyn failing to link the flame permanently), and multiple kingdoms have risen and fallen in the time since (See: every character in Dark Souls 2 [including Straid] that references "Many kingdoms have risen and fallen on this very spot..." [Chloanne, I think, also says something to this effect]).

You also find far too many artifacts from Lordran for it to be a coincidence. You can find all of Havel's gear, you can find Black Knight weapons, you can find Ricard's Rapier, the Knight/Elite Knight sets are identical to Lordran's versions of them. There's no reason for these artifacts to be in a different place, unless something happened that I missed.
Well, Straid is from Olaphis (Which stood where Drangleic does at one point) and Drangleic was also called Vinheim in the past. I forget where Navlaan is from, but I assume that it's also implied to be what was once Drangleic because he was presumed to have been killed, but in reality he simply imprisoned himself in Aldia's Keep.

The Knight set can't be from Lordran because the description says that it was made using special steel and techniques that were developed by Drangleic. Since Drangleic didn't exist when Lordran was around... I don't think that point in particular means much, considering you can find relics from halfway across the game world too. All it really says is that there are a ton of people drawn in by the curse (This time being controlled by Nashandra in hopes of finding a successor, but more on that later).

It's heavily implied that Vendrick stole either the Great Lord Souls or the First Flame itself (To be honest, I forget who says this. Maybe it was Chancellor Wellager after you beat the Giant Lord? Meh). Considering that the Great Lord Souls actually do make an appearance, I think it's a fairly reasonable to guess that those are what were taken. It's probable that Nashandra manipulated Vendrick into taking them in the first place so that she could distribute the Souls in hopes of finding a worthy successor to the Throne of Want (Which is her motivation for most of what she did). Nashandra herself says that the King was never worthy of the throne and never sat in it, which is why he's sealed away in the Undead Crypt (probably by Nashandra herself). It should be noted that the Throne of Want is directly tied to rekindling the flame according to the description for Vendrick's Soul.

As for the Giants themselves. They conquered Drangleic in retaliation for the King's sins, and either suffered extreme losses (unlikely) or simply returned to their homeland once Drangleic was in ruins (more likely, considering just how ridiculously more powerful the Giants are compared to Drangleic's forces as seen in the Memory segments). The Last Giant is possibly the Giant Lord himself judging by the description of the Last Giant's soul.

Both Seath and Nito are referenced by characters in the game, while Manus is..yeah. Seath by Manscorpion Tark and Nito by Grave Warden Agadayne, both referring to the creation of their respective 'races'. But the Four Lords once essentially ruled the world. So for their servants to be scattered around the world isn't too outlandish.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
JaxxtheII said:
I have a theory about the boss The Lost Sinner. Could it be possible that he is actually Artorias? He wields a greatsword, he does crazy acrobatics, I could be wrong (as I never got to play the abyss dlc in dark souls 1) but Artorias did succumb to insanity in the abyss did he not? Maybe he escaped and was imprisoned on the Sinner's Rise? The bug crawling into his eye doesn't make any sense but I think it's a possibility.
The lost sinner is a remnant of the witch of izalith, notice the tiny bug that burrows into her eye at the start of the fight? It,s the same one from the bed of chaos' core. She also drops the old witch's soul when defeated in ng+.

Lukirre

Feb 24, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Well, Straid is from Olaphis (Which stood where Drangleic does at one point) and Drangleic was also called Vinheim in the past. I forget where Navlaan is from, but I assume that it's also implied to be what was once Drangleic because he was presumed to have been killed, but in reality he simply imprisoned himself in Aldia's Keep.

The Knight set can't be from Lordran because the description says that it was made using special steel and techniques that were developed by Drangleic. Since Drangleic didn't exist when Lordran was around... I don't think that point in particular means much, considering you can find relics from halfway across the game world too. All it really says is that there are a ton of people drawn in by the curse (This time being controlled by Nashandra in hopes of finding a successor, but more on that later).

It's heavily implied that Vendrick stole either the Great Lord Souls or the First Flame itself (To be honest, I forget who says this. Maybe it was Chancellor Wellager after you beat the Giant Lord? Meh). Considering that the Great Lord Souls actually do make an appearance, I think it's a fairly reasonable to guess that those are what were taken. It's probable that Nashandra manipulated Vendrick into taking them in the first place so that she could distribute the Souls in hopes of finding a worthy successor to the Throne of Want (Which is her motivation for most of what she did). Nashandra herself says that the King was never worthy of the throne and never sat in it, which is why he's sealed away in the Undead Crypt (probably by Nashandra herself). It should be noted that the Throne of Want is directly tied to rekindling the flame according to the description for Vendrick's Soul.

As for the Giants themselves. They conquered Drangleic in retaliation for the King's sins, and either suffered extreme losses (unlikely) or simply returned to their homeland once Drangleic was in ruins (more likely, considering just how ridiculously more powerful the Giants are compared to Drangleic's forces as seen in the Memory segments). The Last Giant is possibly the Giant Lord himself judging by the description of the Last Giant's soul.

Both Seath and Nito are referenced by characters in the game, while Manus is..yeah. Seath by Manscorpion Tark and Nito by Grave Warden Agadayne, both referring to the creation of their respective 'races'. But the Four Lords once essentially ruled the world. So for their servants to be scattered around the world isn't too outlandish.
Good points. Could very easily be right. However, that shan't stop the wall of text...

I didn't catch anything about the area being Vinheim in the past, unless you're referencing the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring, which only says that it was "used in the land where Drangleic is now", not that it was "made" in the land where Drangleic is now.

And you're right, it's not too outlandish that their servants would be scattered over the world. I just don't really think it was, because I just went and had a chitchat with Tark and he said things like...

- "You've defeated my master." // implying that it couldn't have been Seathe
- "But our master will never die, only change forms."

He uses the phrase "seethe eternally", probably because he wants the player to draw the connection between Seethe and whatever created him (possibly Aldia, possibly the Duke). Note: I don't know which boss I killed that prompted him to say these things/give me the Second Dragon Ring. I'd killed every boss except the Darklurker when I spoke to him, and I hadn't spoken to him since before Najka. So it is possible that he was referring to Najka as a sort of "She was my master because my life revolved around combat with her" type thing, but I can't be certain, and I don't know if he would reward you twice for the same boss kill.

But when he says that "our master will never die, only change forms", I think that lines up quite well with my theory that the Lord Souls are what drive the development of life in each Kingdom that rises and falls, since Seathe's soul would attach itself to some figure and influence him/her, much like he did with the Duke (or possibly Aldia). And it would still hold true that Seathe was his creator, just creating him in a different form than the Paledrake we all know and love (to kill).

Also, did Straid imprison himself? I know he has dialogue that discusses how the undead were shuttled away to (what I presume is) the Bastille (or did he mean Drangleic?) and that "they even petrified the great Straid" or something like that.

I don't mean that the Knight set is literally from Lordran, but I just think the fact that it looks exactly the same implies that Drangleic blacksmiths were crafting armour from Lordran, which would make it true that it was being developed with steel/techniques that were unique to Drangleic. Maybe it was just a fan-service thing, but without assumptions I have nothing to go off of.

I'm a bit of a derp and probably missed the info about the Giants invading Drangleic in retaliation to the King, but I was going off of the Giant Lord's Soul (since that's probably pretty accurate) when it said that they "conquered Drangleic [...] to claim an invaluable prize". I think the word choice is important here. It doesn't say anything about them retaliating, or taking what was stolen from them, or anything of the sort. It says the conquered Drangleic to claim a prize. The wording makes it sound like they invaded for new power, not to regain power. I personally think that Nashandra went to the King, told him to steal something from the Giants, then went and told the Giants about some immense power in Drangleic, prompting them to attack. I think she wanted the kingdom to crumble and fall for her own personal gain (the abyss, Age of Dark). This would make it so that everyone logically assumed that it was Vendrick's actions that brought down Drangleic, not Nashandra's. When she says that he's not fit for the Throne, maybe he started resisting her?

On his Ultra Greatsword, there's a likeness of the Queen on the back (sword is completely hideous by the way), and it says that "Only the king knows whether the depiction of the Queen is a resentful mockery, or an affectionate exaltation.". So maybe he started to realize his own manipulation and pulled away from her, prompting her to kill him and lock him away, knowing that he would never be useful. Quite rude, in my opinion.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Most of the "lore" in Dark Souls 1 and 2 is only implied by item descriptions and dialogue, so a lot of this will be pure speculation.

It is directly stated by Straid that Drangleic was not always known by that name, and many people have taken that as a hint that the game takes place in a future Lordran, but Straid himself is from Olaphis so the in-game setting may very well be the former kingdom of Olaphis. There is the possibility that Olaphis was the name of the kingdom that existed chronologically between Lordran and Drangleic--if there was one--but that can neither be confirmed or refuted.

Straid does hint heavily that the Lost Bastille is in fact the Undead Asylum, but both "Undead Asylum" and "Lost Bastille" are very vague names that don't reference any sort of region or geography that could definitively link the two. If the Lost Bastille is the Undead Asylum, then the sudden presence of water could be explained by the same flood that submerged Heide's Tower of Flame.

More information comes from the description of the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring:

"A ring used long, long ago in a land that existed where Drangleic is now. Extends the length of spell effects.
Presumably, this ring was used by a high sorcerer, but no proof of such remains"

The keyword is "used." If the description said that it had been "created" in the place where Drangleic is now, then it'd be confirmed that Drangleic is in fact the remains of Vinheim, but instead that includes any place where the ring may have been taken over the course of however much time has passed between the ring's creation and its appearance in DS2. This doesn't rule out the possibility that Lordran is Drangleic, but neither does it confirm it.

Just on a final note, Rosabeth's description on the origins of pyromancy seem to match the origin of pyromancy in DS1, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that we can rule out the possibility of Drangleic being an "alternate universe/timeline."

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm not quite on board with the idea of Drangleic being Lordran.

I think it's important to note that there were many undead asylums, and that not all of them were within Lordran. If I recall correctly, even the one in the first game was not actually in Lordran. It is clear that the Lost Bastille was one of them, though.

Also, was it ever stated exactly what the prize that Vendrick stole was? I get the impression that it might have been the Lordvessel, seeing as the Lord Souls were already offered to it.

Rascal0302

Mar 22, 2014
Alright, so a few posts have gotten it pretty well on the mark, but here is reiteration of a few points.

Drangelic is NOT Lordran. This is not speculation. Completely ignoring the dragon crest ring, it's proven by what Vendrick stole. We even see it. When you get the four lord souls(Witch of Izailith, Seethe, Nito and Gywn) you can open the door in that small chamber leading to the castle. What do we see in there? The Kiln of the first flame(and by extension, the lord vessel), where we offered the lord souls to access the The First Flame in DS1. It's very clear that this is the prize Vendrick stole under Nashandras influence. It explains how these souls got there to begin with. The Giants were clearly apart of Lordran, as the architecture supported giant beings, not to mention the Tomb of the Giants. These are the giants of Lordran, just in the future.

The only real questions left are how do these lord souls keep surviving? Were Gwyn, Nito and the Witch so powerful that these souls will continue to survive? If so, why? Nashandra(Manus) seems to be the only original primeval creature to actually have a goal. Sure, the Witch may willingly torture herself for what she did to the world, Gywn may have been so corrupted by demons that his will is lost, Seethe just seems to keep experimenting, and Nito remains a recluse, but why? Clearly they're pawns to Manus, but what is Manus' end game? He's at a fraction of his former power and the Abyss is broken. What would inducing the age of darkness do this point? The abyss has halted, there is only one firekeeper left and humanity already seems to be the most prominent player now that Lordran has fallen. So much more to discover :D

On a side note, I really want Demon's Souls to be in the same universe. The Emerald Herald behaves almost exactly like the Black Maiden, who incidentally is the only one who keeps the flame lit in Demons Souls. Purely speculation, but the Old One is visually reminiscent of an Ancient Dragon, so perhaps Manus tries to bond with an Ancient Dragon or the abyss overtakes one and creates the most powerful demon. The encroaching fog could clearly be a symbol for the Abyss. I don't believe any of that is true, but I love this series so hey! I can dream.

Furb

Mar 22, 2014
It is very possible that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are connected. The Archstone to the land of Giants was the only broken one after all. Maybe it takes place long, long after the events of Dark Souls. The Old One, being made up of sticks and branches made me think of the Bed of Chaos as well, and if I recall correctly, the Old One was also pumping out demons. And then of course Patches.

At any rate, I haven't beaten DSII yet, so I'm just speculating, but is it possible that the Tower of Flame is a submerged Anor Londo? If so, given that Anor Londo was the highest point in the game, would make all of Dark Souls submerged by now. Perhaps the water is an analogy or visual representation for the Abyss. Your character does throw himself into a giant watery vortex in the opening cutscene after all, and Majula being a costal location, with craggy cliffs and constant crashing waves gives the sense that the peaceful location is slowly being eroded away. Maybe it's all symbolic? But I'm just grasping here. Obviously there's not much to back this idea.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just going to throw my wild theories into the mix about whether or not Drangelic is Lordran:

When you talk with the Queen in Drangelic Castle she talks about King Vendrick, who was the previous King of Drangelic, and when describing him she uses the phrase "He found the strength to rule his people, and when the Undead were born, cursed...He found more strength to face them."

This seems to imply that there were no Undead in Drangelic before King Vendrick's rule. Now if Drangelic is Lordran then that sentence would be patently untrue since the undead have been in Lordran for hundreds (maybe even thousands) of years, and it wouldn't make sense for the undead to disappear and then reappear in the same land again just because the name of the kingdom changed. This leaves two possibilities, either Drangelic is a kingdom very far away from Lordran (across the sea as others have speculated) and the undead curse had not spread there until recently (possibly because of what King Vendrick stole from the giants), or King Vendrick is extremely old, and was alive even before the events of Dark Souls 1, and witnessed the beginning of the Undead Curse (but that would still mean that Drangelic is not Lordran since Gwyn would have been King of Lordran at that time, not Vendrick).

So as far as I can tell, Drangelic is not Lordran. Thoughts?

Keith Tray

Mar 18, 2014
Tuxedoman said:
Kopikatsu said:
Snip snip

Seathe was a scaleless dragon.. Was never human, so that implication doesn't make sense

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Tuxedoman said:
Im fairly certain that the 'Paledrake' is who we think it is. In the Shaded Woods, there is a cool dude called Scorpion Taruk. He has some insights about the state of the region, and literally says that he is one of Seath's experiments, as are all the other creatures you see in the zone.
No, he doesn't actually say he is one of Seath's experiments. It's implied and it's implied very heavily, but at no point does he actually mention Seath by name.

I do think he was a creation of Seath--or some reincarnation of Seath--but I can't confirm that.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Just going to throw my wild theories into the mix about whether or not Drangelic is Lordran:

When you talk with the Queen in Drangelic Castle she talks about King Vendrick, who was the previous King of Drangelic, and when describing him she uses the phrase "He found the strength to rule his people, and when the Undead were born, cursed...He found more strength to face them."

This seems to imply that there were no Undead in Drangelic before King Vendrick's rule. Now if Drangelic is Lordran then that sentence would be patently untrue since the undead have been in Lordran for hundreds (maybe even thousands) of years, and it wouldn't make sense for the undead to disappear and then reappear in the same land again just because the name of the kingdom changed. This leaves two possibilities, either Drangelic is a kingdom very far away from Lordran (across the sea as others have speculated) and the undead curse had not spread there until recently (possibly because of what King Vendrick stole from the giants), or King Vendrick is extremely old, and was alive even before the events of Dark Souls 1, and witnessed the beginning of the Undead Curse (but that would still mean that Drangelic is not Lordran since Gwyn would have been King of Lordran at that time, not Vendrick).

There were no undead in Drangleic prior to the Giant's destruction of the Kingdom. During the Memory segments, the Drangleic soldiers are clearly human (and wear untarnished suits of armor- the same armor that the Hollows in the Forest of Fallen Giants wear).

Presumably people didn't start turning into undead until after Drangleic was conquered.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Kopikatsu said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

There were no undead in Drangleic prior to the Giant's destruction of the Kingdom. During the Memory segments, the Drangleic soldiers are clearly human (and wear untarnished suits of armor- the same armor that the Hollows in the Forest of Fallen Giants wear).

Presumably people didn't start turning into undead until after Drangleic was conquered.
During the memory segments you're only seeing the soldiers fighting the giants, but undead wouldn't have been allowed to be soldiers (probably). Remember, the living don't really trust the undead, which is why they keep getting shoved into asylums, so why would the Drangelic army allow the undead to retain their positions? They wouldn't. So that fact that you don't see any undead fighting the giants really shouldn't be too surprising.

I mean, I don't disagree with you, I just don't think that what you've offered counts as proof toward the fact that there were no undead in Drangleic at the time.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
What I know about the plot, is a lot less than I should.

I know the following at least. Vendrick met Nashandra somewhere, not unlike half the doomed males of Lovecraftian stories.

The undead curse came next, from her I assume. She told Vendrick of the giants, and their power. He set out and robbed them of their souls, or their mojo, or whatever.

They got pissed and crossed the sea to get revenge. Whether entering their memories actually changed history or not idk. Apparently I was the one that killed the giant lord.

Then with the kingdom barely functioning Vendrick bravely ran away and became a dirty hobo in the crypt. Nashandra ruled a nation of hollows. Then you show up, huzzah.

Nashandra is a piece of Manus/the Dark Soul whatever.

The powerful souls seemingly have little to do with the original lord souls, and the bosses that hold them are not really analogous either.

Most of this game has been a total let down to me. The story and characters in particular. The levels and bosses have good and bad, same with spells and weapons. I kind of liked Lucatiel and Shalquior and that is pretty much it.

Also Lord Aldia was suppsedly Vendricks older brother who helped make the kingdom before going off to be a Lovecraft villian himself. His keep is full of dragon worshippers and experiments and finally a caged dragon that may or may not be what became of Lord Aldia...