Dark Souls 2 or Elder Scrolls Online?

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
Well, at the minute, I've played about 40 hours of Skyrim, and nearly 4 times that in Dark Souls, so... I'd say personally, Dark Souls 2 by far.

The first game is probably the best game I've played in years, and I hope the second one is at least just as good.

gaztaseven

Oct 6, 2010
Doomsdaylee said:
ESO all day.
Dark Souls one was a disappointing romp in easy gameplay with the occasional cheap death.
Elder Scrolls has never disappointed me, and I trust Zenimax online.
No brainer.

Not to mention it's leagues above Dark Souls 2 in content in sheer volume.
I find your opinion hard to take seriously. Name any TES game, it's like baby's first rpg compared to Dark Souls. And as for 'sheer volume of content', the same dungeon copied and pasted repeatedly with small differences (this time, let's make the second corner turn LEFT!) does not qualify as content, IMO.

In case it isn't obvious, Dark Souls 2 for me :)

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Dark Souls 2, easily. The first game is one of my favorite games of all time and while I enjoy TES series after playing Dark Souls going back to Skyrim felt bland and mediocre for a while. Besides that I've never been interested in MMO's so ESO really doesn't appeal to me that much. If it was between Dark Souls 2 and the next proper ES sequel (whatever that will be called) then it would be a bit closer as the two series appeal to me in different ways, but Dark Souls 2 would still win handily for me.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Doomsdaylee said:
ESO all day.
Dark Souls one was a disappointing romp in easy gameplay with the occasional cheap death.
Elder Scrolls has never disappointed me, and I trust Zenimax online.
No brainer.

Not to mention it's leagues above Dark Souls 2 in content in sheer volume.
It also cost a lot more than Dark Souls 2 for that extra content. I really don't understand that particular argument.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'd go for ESO mainly because I'm just not a fan for what DS has to offer, along with disliking it's sadistic punishment difficulty.

That and I know ES lore and next to nothing about DS so I'm not bothering with DS II.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I would choose dark souls 2, because i have no interest in MMO'S and elder scrolls online seems like a terrible idea to me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Pitting two games that I'm both interested in and asked to choose which one? That's a really hard choice. :D

I plan on getting Dark Souls II at launch and playing the hell out of that for while, or until I get tired of dying a shit load. Then wait until ESO gets smoothed out a bit then go play that since I'm not bothered by it.

So basically both because I can. :D

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Dark Souls 2.

Zenimax Online has stated that they are disregarding the lore of the past 5 Elder Scrolls games so there's nothing there for Elder Scrolls fans. Also ESO being an MMO means that the exploration that people play TES games for will be streamlined heavily. You won't be able to do a lot of thing in a single player TES game that you would be able to by default:

No fast travel immediately.
No pickpocketing every NPC.
No lockpicking and robbing every house.
No enemies that scale with you.
No breaking the game with a single skill maxed.(looking at you sneak...)

There's nothing in ESO for Elder Scrolls fans to enjoy other than a loose adaptation of the series done with an MMO focus.

The subscription pricing also hurts the game for a lot of people. Not because of WoW, but because Guild Wars 2 has done very well with a buy it once and play it all you like system. If more MMOs took the Guild Wars 2 approach to pricing we would see so many of them go F2P.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Throwing in my two cents. It's Dark Souls 2 for me simply because I'm not going to have to pay monthly to keep playing it.

I absolutely love the Elder Scrolls games, and the fact that they provide tons of hours of content is great. But if Skyrim suddenly required me to $15 to keep playing, I wouldn't be cool with that.

The biggest fault of ESO is that it's a MMO. The only reason I'd consider playing is because it's an Elder Scrolls game, and I'll try my hardest to play it like a single-player game.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Hmm, choosing a singleplayer RPG over an MMO one.

Although I had my fair share of gripes with Dark Souls in the past, the PC port disappointing me aside, it actually won me over and I pushed through the game and finished it after almost 100 hours of gameplay. Since PC will be the lead platform according to them, I want to give them another chance to see if they manage to pull through so I will most likely grab that game for my PC.

ESO on the other hand, from the footage I've seen from Quakecon, I can honestly say that I was majorly underwhelmed. The animations both in 3rd person and first person were more jenky than Skyrim's one. Add that the fact that they decided to go subscription based alongside buying the box is kinda crazy in my eyes. Way too much to pay so I can have a WoW like quest system and more people in my game. I'd rather go play Skyrim more instead.

So it's kinda up to you OP. If you enjoyed Dark Souls you should go for that.

If you like the Elder Scrolls universe you might want to check that out at least for the initial 30days free time when you purchase the game. It should be more than enough to max out your character and decide then at the end of the month if it has any endgame if you should continue subscribing.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Nnghgggnnnghhh. I must... keep up...my MMO cred...agh.

But...self flogging via Darksouls...

all of this is painful.

I'm going to coward my way out of this one and just say I don't know. I might give ESO one week to prove itself not that bad. Otherwise I'll wait for the Free to play fairy to arrive and Dark Souls 2 will earn a spot on my steam list.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Dark souls appeals only to a certain type of sadomasochistic player (me being one of them) while the elder scrolls series are becoming more user friendly with each game. On that basis alone, ESO would have been more generally popular on release if it didn't have that 'online' thing going on. But as a fan of the one player rpg, ESO is just a huge, double kick to the balls for me. If i wanted to socialize with annoying kids and sweaty old men, i'd go out my front door for once.

Dark souls 2 it probably is then.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
Dark Souls 2 for me, I loved loved loved the first one, and while I do adore Elder Scrolls games, I already pay for WoW so I'm not going to even touch ESO unless it becomes F2P in the future.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
RatherDull said:
ESO looks pretty awful but Dark Souls 2 offends me.

They called it customizing your HERO!

And they want to make Dark Souls the next Skyrim!

That completely misses the point of the original games. NOTHING you do in the original games is heroic. Hell, you even get laughed at for the idea of being a hero.

The world already ended basically. The best it can be considered is a mercy killing.
They made a few dumb comments shortly after they announced it, but since then, a few more interviews and promotional videos have been released, and I'm far more optimistic than I was few months ago. Like you, I was setting myself up for disappointment, but it looks like Dark Souls 2 will be just as bleak, unforgiving and generally awesome as the first game. So don't discount it quite yet!