Dark Souls 2 PC Version Won't Be Half-Assed

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I am officially so fucking excited. Seriously Namco, I'll just send you my bank information and you can send me alpha code, I'll send you all the QA information you want, in Japanese. I have so much respect for these guys. No on-disc/day one DLC, listening to the customers and improving based on it, admitting to mistakes without snarky dodges, and delivering exactly what the people want. This is how you make and maintain a dedicated fanbase.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
HontooNoNeko said:
OT: Personally I cannot wait for this games release I loved Dark souls even if I never played Demons Souls and by the looks of the game play and the news I'm hearing this should be even better. This is especially good considering that I was never really bothered by the PC port and was willing to overlook low frame rate and poor optimization in light of just how well the game was designed. I may actually buy a game on release day as apposed to waiting for the price to go down in a long time for this.
If you ever get the chance, do yourself a favor and play Demon's Souls.
I know it can be kinda complicated, since it is only on PS3, but hey, the PS3 is great and it doesn't cost like a kidney anymore...
I think I may be in the minority here, but I find Demon's Souls to be considerably better than Dark Souls.
Dark Souls do have more varied and interesting environments, and enemy design, I'll give it that.
Nonetheless, I didn't like the change to a open world for the game (it kept the pacing a little weird, in comparison to Demon's Souls), I found the game to be too long (I have almost 100 hours in and still haven't finished the main quest, let alone tackle the DLC and optional areas), most bosses aren't very compelling (again, in comparison to Demon's Souls, in which most boss fights were very different from one another and tanking was rarely an viable solution), and I find Demon's Souls harder.

Demon's Souls is friggin' perfect.
I loved the Mega Man like choose-your-level-boss approach, and without sacrificing exploration and branching paths.
It is hard and the areas are dark and dilapidated, which builds up the tension and the mood.
It really felt like a good old Castelvania game (like rondo of blood), or Chakan (a great old Mega Drive game which deserved much more attention than it got).
I played it three times and I wish I had the time to platinum it (so close, though).

Not that Dark Souls is bad by any means. It is GREAT! I love the series so much that it reminds me why I got into videogames in the first place. Not for quick time events, not for prerendered cutscenes, or for explosive setpieces. Not even for compelling characters and story (sometimes it helps). Demon's/Dark Souls are a GAME, where gameplay and skill are what matters, and beating is an acheivement.
I just nitpicked it against (IMO) the better of the lot!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Fayathon said:
Grabehn said:
If there's no GFWL I'll be playing this one, I wanted to play the first but the controls also didn't really got me.
Grab a controller, 360, Windows or PS3, though for the latter two you need montioninjoy or something similar unless things have changed since I needed a controller on my computer. Controls on M&K are odd as fuck for the game, but controller feels just right.
I've just never been comfortable with dual joysticks, it just cramps my hands for some reason, especially with their position on the PS3/PC ones, otherwise I would've tried it. Also PS3/360 controllers here go for 70-75 bucks so it's a double no for those, sadly.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Grabehn said:
Fayathon said:
Grabehn said:
If there's no GFWL I'll be playing this one, I wanted to play the first but the controls also didn't really got me.
Grab a controller, 360, Windows or PS3, though for the latter two you need montioninjoy or something similar unless things have changed since I needed a controller on my computer. Controls on M&K are odd as fuck for the game, but controller feels just right.
I've just never been comfortable with dual joysticks, it just cramps my hands for some reason, especially with their position on the PS3/PC ones, otherwise I would've tried it. Also PS3/360 controllers here go for 70-75 bucks so it's a double no for those, sadly.
That's unfortunate man, the game's one of my favorites.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Sure, whatever.

I guessing the plot or the navigation won't be half-arsed as well.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Thank you From, for being quite honest and open AND willing to work things out. We need more people like them in the industry. I play my games to feel a sense of achievement, not for plot or any of it. I just want to have fun, which is something that I can easily find in Dark Souls.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Grabehn said:
Fayathon said:
Grabehn said:
That sucks, hopefully the game gets some better keyboard and mouse support for the sequel :p I gotta say the most irritating thing on the PC version for me is the cursor in game pisses me off. But I have a wired 360 controller spercifically for PC games that are best played that way for me. (Anything but RTS or FPS for the most part)

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I really hope they would pull it off. I've been wanting to play these games for a while now, and almost preordered the Dark Souls PC version (glad I didn't). Since buying a 50 ? gamepad for one game wasn't very appealing I passed on it. I'll put my hopes on this one being actually playable on PC.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
If you're willing to admit you released an inferior product for pc, how about giving people their money back. I'm still kicking myself for supporting saints row 2 on pc. Even saints row 3 is laggy compared to proper ports like mass effect 3 or made for pc games like guild wars 2

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Oh, really? That's good. I got DS on the PC, and it was ran crappily even beyond what would be expected of my computer.

If they could just get the keyboard and mouse to work properly, I would be ecstatic.

mad825 said:
Sure, whatever.

I guessing the plot or the navigation won't be half-arsed as well.
If they could just make the plot the tiniest bit more overt, I would jump on the love bandwagon.

Also, I want them to let us aim crossbows.