Dark Souls 2, PVP

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
JagermanXcell said:
THE BLUE SENTINELS PEOPLE, the answer to all your problems. If you're alone and being invaded, they're there for you, they've got your back, they can't be harmed by enemies, and their soul purpose on being there is to kill off your invader so you can advance unscathed, and if your fellow blue is having trouble DO NO BE AFRAID TO GANK THE INVADER.

There is no honor code like people who are strict PVP says there are, you have every right to 2/3v1 an invade if you want to advance in the PVE. I as an invader needs to deal with that, and thats fine causeI love the idea of getting ganked! From balanced the game so that we all can have a fair PVE/PVP experience that everyone can be satisfied conquering. Thi
This is a much better system then the "SUMMONING FAILED" and "FAILED TO INVADE" Dks1 had anyways.
This, especially the second paragraph.

I can guarantee that for every invader who fully upgraded their stuff to prey on lower levels, they'll be a Blue Sentinel that does exactly the same thing. Because of how populated the servers will be in the opening few months, someone focusing on PVE could easily summon many phantoms to guard them - few invaders will be able to handle a 3 v 1. When someone invades you and is actively trying to impede your progress in PvP, all morality and honor should be cast aside as it was there choice to try and fuck you over. Use any means necessary.

As OP said, online PvP and PvE are crucial to the game experience, and whilst there will definitely be a few times that you'll get super mad at some invader blocking your progress, you'll have an equal number of satisfying times beating the invader into the dirt with the help of two other people.

Also, the Blue Phantom clan looks to be an epic addition to the game. My only worry is that initially most people will go Blue, leaving few actual invaders, but if this is the case, it'll balance out over the initial weeks/months.

Lokoloshe

Nov 8, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
I mostly played Dark Souls Hollowed, if only because I utterly loathed invasions. Hell, even at level 70 when I had decent armor and a decent weapon (Chaos witch robes and Quelaag's fury sword) it still felt like I could barely even scratch the PvP players, to the point where I just gave up trying to to fight them and would DC everytime they attempted to invade.

What can I say, I like the idea of PvP, but I'd rather not face someone who could oneshot me or has such powerful armor that backstabs could barely even scratch the surface of their health.
Pretty much this. I utterly enjoy the game but at least with PvP it just never felt like you had much of a chance when you got invaded. If the balance is better and you actually have a chance to fend off the invader then I'm all for it. Fair PvP would at the very least make for a nice change of pace while progressing through the game.

Winning or losing on your own skill should be the goal of PvP, not who can exploit the game's systems to gain a massive advantage over the other person.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
JagermanXcell said:
Now enough of these petty complaint threads! My hype for this game can only take so much!!!!!
Amen to that. I agree with everything you've said, plus have something to add:

Not all invaders want to kill you. Sure, a lot of times... the invader wants to kill you. Sometimes to even instant kill you and troll for whom knows why rather then a fair PvP match. However, I have met several invaders whom just hung out with me and talked on the mic. Some even invade just to trade items with you, no funny business.

I remember mostly Forest Covenant members invading me, but then helping me fight off red phantoms (ohhhh the irony now that Dark Souls 2 is coming out and blue phantoms = helping hosts.) As stated before, hosts have a far bigger advantage. Sun Bros, white phantoms, and Blue phantoms are there to help you... while red phantoms have nothing much going apart from flasks and maybe another red phantom helping out.

... Did I forget to mention, that if you attack their shield and if the shield is shot up- you can do a blow that works like a parry? Yeah, making people flail with their shield allows you to perform a special parry that works like the regular parry in Dark Souls, and is even better then the backstab itself. PvP will be in favor of everyone this time. Heavy builds to fast builds.
I can attest to that. Those of the darkwraith covenant, myself included, have taken PVP/invasions in general a lot less serious. If I see someone with a Drake Sword, I give them a better weapon. I see forest gankers (the campers of Dark Souls), I dive right in instead of black crystal for the added intensity fun and challenge.

If we're there to run around naked, to scratch our ass, and not kill...

...only Kaathe knows we shall not disappoint him...

Also we recently took to hacker/modder hunting as a sport. If anyone should be invaded to hell and back its those casuals.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Flippincrazy said:
JagermanXcell said:
THE BLUE SENTINELS PEOPLE, the answer to all your problems. If you're alone and being invaded, they're there for you, they've got your back, they can't be harmed by enemies, and their soul purpose on being there is to kill off your invader so you can advance unscathed, and if your fellow blue is having trouble DO NO BE AFRAID TO GANK THE INVADER.

There is no honor code like people who are strict PVP says there are, you have every right to 2/3v1 an invade if you want to advance in the PVE. I as an invader needs to deal with that, and thats fine causeI love the idea of getting ganked! From balanced the game so that we all can have a fair PVE/PVP experience that everyone can be satisfied conquering. Thi
This is a much better system then the "SUMMONING FAILED" and "FAILED TO INVADE" Dks1 had anyways.
This, especially the second paragraph.

I can guarantee that for every invader who fully upgraded their stuff to prey on lower levels, they'll be a Blue Sentinel that does exactly the same thing. Because of how populated the servers will be in the opening few months, someone focusing on PVE could easily summon many phantoms to guard them - few invaders will be able to handle a 3 v 1. When someone invades you and is actively trying to impede your progress in PvP, all morality and honor should be cast aside as it was there choice to try and fuck you over. Use any means necessary.

As OP said, online PvP and PvE are crucial to the game experience, and whilst there will definitely be a few times that you'll get super mad at some invader blocking your progress, you'll have an equal number of satisfying times beating the invader into the dirt with the help of two other people.

Also, the Blue Phantom clan looks to be an epic addition to the game. My only worry is that initially most people will go Blue, leaving few actual invaders, but if this is the case, it'll balance out over the initial weeks/months.
The balance between Blue/Red phantoms will be fine as far as I can tell. With the addition of a second invasion slot (2 possible invaders in a world), Reds can drink flasks now (very slowly though), a lot on how a Red survives will be based on not only a balanced 1v1/gank but MAINLY on skill, same applies to the host, the phantoms, and whatever Blue Sentinel is in the world. A balanced rivalry between the Sentinels and the Brotherhood of Blood is definitely going to form quickly and its going to be AWESOME.

Bloodbrothers OP, ya'll better believe you goona face our wrath...

And a good note to hosts. You can activate bonfires whilst being invaded or having summons now.
I'd play a drinking contest to how many time's I've proved PVE/PVP complaints wrong... but I really don't want to die of alcohol poisoning.

zegram33

Oct 24, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
zegram33 said:
you know what id like to see? actual, genuine consequences for invaders if they fail, I found there wasn't really any punishment for people just having a go at you.
I actually agree with this. While the permanent item loss is definitely too harsh, I think there should be more consequences for a failed invasion, especially if you choose to join an invasion focused covenant.

A few quick ideas:
- A timed HP reduction (or full on standard hollowing HP reduction) so that subsequent failed invasions became more and more difficult to win.
- Massive durability damage to a random item such that to lose would eventually become very expensive and could even result in broken items if the invader wasn't careful
- A black mark with the chosen covenant where too many losses would actually cause the invader to be hunted by their own faction until they gained back the leaders favour
yeh I, guess item loss is a bit much (id intended it as a kinda "you cant bring your best kit while invading unless you're properly confident, but your right) the idea of invader invading sounds amazingly karmic, id love it if that turned out to be how it was.

Alternatively, having a spell that just auto-banishes your current invader would be nice. Maybe make it an early-mid level faith spell (maybe have it purge EVERYONE so it gets rid of any white/gold souls with you as well, making it mainly useful for people ho just want to play singularly. maybe 3 shots per slot?