Dark Souls 2 Q&A

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
Kopikatsu said:
BraveSirRobin said:

Awesome thanks.

Are there any Black Knight weapons in this game, those were by far my favourite in Dark Souls.
I found the Black Knight Halberd and the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword. The Black Knight Halberd is in the area passing the scorpion guy, there's a a small jump you need to make to reach it, but it's easy to get to. The Black Knight Ultra Greatsword is in Brightstone Cave, passing the bridge with the spikes you get to a room with 3 doors and a shitton of spiders, one of these doors is locked and can only can only be opened by the Brightstone Key, there will be a spider ambush waiting but if you managed to pass you get to a chest with the weapon.

I bet there's more but I couldn't find them...

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Diablo2000 said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Kopikatsu said:
BraveSirRobin said:

Awesome thanks.

Are there any Black Knight weapons in this game, those were by far my favourite in Dark Souls.
I found the Black Knight Halberd and the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword. The Black Knight Halberd is in the area passing the scorpion guy, there's a a small jump you need to make to reach it, but it's easy to get to. The Black Knight Ultra Greatsword is in Brightstone Cave, passing the bridge with the spikes you get to a room with 3 doors and a shitton of spiders, one of these doors is locked and can only can only be opened by the Brightstone Key, there will be a spider ambush waiting but if you managed to pass you get to a chest with the weapon.

I bet there's more but I couldn't find them...
Ah excellent. The halberd was my favourite of the bunch.

Thanks.

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:

Thanks.
The greataxe is also in the game in the iron keep. It's somewhere past the smelter demon bonfire but if I remember correctly it requires 10 faith and 10 int to use.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
BraveSirRobin said:
ShinyCharizard said:

Thanks.
The greataxe is also in the game in the iron keep. It's somewhere past the smelter demon bonfire but if I remember correctly it requires 10 faith and 10 int to use.
The Greatsword is also in Iron Keep, behind a fake wall on the ledge shortly after returning to Iron Keep from Belfry Sol.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
BraveSirRobin said:
ShinyCharizard said:

Thanks.
I'll have to get past the Smelter Demon first though lol. That bastard is giving me a lot of trouble.

Kopikatsu said:
The Greatsword is also in Iron Keep, behind a fake wall on the ledge shortly after returning to Iron Keep from Belfry Sol.
Ah fantastic. That is pretty much exactly where I am at the moment.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
BraveSirRobin said:
ShinyCharizard said:

Thanks.
I'll have to get past the Smelter Demon first though lol. That bastard is giving me a lot of trouble.

Kopikatsu said:
You think Smelter Demon is bad now, try fighting him as a Pyromancer. </3

I have a spell, Chaos Flame, that killed Old Dragonslayer with a single cast. Barely even scuffs Smelter's armor.

He seems resistant to magic and fire both, considering my melee character did plenty of damage with just a greatsword.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
ShinyCharizard said:
BraveSirRobin said:
ShinyCharizard said:

Thanks.

Kopikatsu said:
You think Smelter Demon is bad now, try fighting him as a Pyromancer. </3

I have a spell, Chaos Flame, that killed Old Dragonslayer with a single cast. Barely even scuffs Smelter's armor.

He seems resistant to magic and fire both, considering my melee character did plenty of damage with just a greatsword.
Haha I can imagine how well that would go.

My problem is that I cant damage him enough (using the Heide Knight Sword +7), and his flame attacks at half health fuck me up completely.

I'll need to find a shield with good phys and fire resistance.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:

My problem is that I cant damage him enough (using the Heide Knight Sword +7), and his flame attacks at half health fuck me up completely.

Grym Greatshield has 100% phys and fire resist. They're pretty common drops from Grym soldiers, who're in Door of Pharros, most heavily populating the route between Door and Brightstone.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
ShinyCharizard said:

Grym Greatshield has 100% phys and fire resist. They're pretty common drops from Grym soldiers, who're in Door of Pharros, most heavily populating the route between Door and Brightstone.
Awesome thank you.

With that shield and a decent weapon I should actually stand a chance.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've got a couple of questions, but they're not about gameplay.

1) Does it carry a narrative thread from Dark Souls, or is it as disconnected from that game as Dark Souls was from Demon's Souls?

2) If I really liked Demon's Souls, is it worth getting Dark Souls or should I skip that and move to Dark Souls II?
1) Yes, there are hints to Lordran all over the place almost from the get-go. A certain area is even speculated to be Anor Londo. Or what is left of it after hundreds of years of near abandonment.

2) Well, to get the most out of all the little pieces and nods, you should probably get Dark Souls first. That being said, you could probably just dive right ind. But you would miss out on the best game released pre-Darks Souls 2.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
BraveSirRobin said:
ShinyCharizard said:

Thanks.
Right after the Smelter Demon, you have to go up and more up and more up.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Yeah I'm having trouble Fighting the boss battle Duke dear Freja (The giant spider) I spend too much time trying to dodge out the way of the little spiders before it wipes me out, any tips?

Also where is this smelter Demon? Pretty sure I haven't fought it yet people mention it like its an early to mid game boss.

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
Burchy22 said:
Yeah I'm having trouble Fighting the boss battle Duke dear Freja (The giant spider) I spend too much time trying to dodge out the way of the little spiders before it wipes me out, any tips?

Also where is this smelter Demon? Pretty sure I haven't fought it yet people mention it like its an early to mid game boss.
For Freja she has a rather large blindspot directly on her side between her body and her legs. You can hang out there pretty safely until you get an opening after you take out the smaller spiders. I'd recommend being able to 1 shot the smaller spiders to get them out quickly, that shouldn't take much more than a +6 weapon.

Smelter demon is in the Iron Keep along the Huntsman's Copse path. If you haven't found that path yet try exhausting the dialogue with the miracle girl in Heide's Tower of Flame.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Oh man I'm so happy that everyone is helping each other out I was just hoping to share some of my info I've collected but everyone else is contributing. I love our community guys. Since most of all questions so far have been answered I'll just throw some random info out there; Havel's armor and greatshield are in the game it's behind a forgotten door and you get the key from two giants in the Black Gulch. To find said giants you need to walk along the cliffside until you see a ledge to drop down to where a forgotten door is and another ledge even lower with the giants. You have to kill them for the key. Havel's set is behind a door in the Gutter. Hopefully that helps someone if anyone needs clarification I can try to be specific or some other kind soul will help

FlyAwayAutumn

May 19, 2009
Burchy22 said:

My strategy for any boss I have trouble with is more summons. Other than that just try to wipe out the little ones and stay near her in a strategy akin to fighting Quelaag

Smelter Demon is in Iron Keep. Beat Dragonrider talk to priestess at next bonfire after him make sure to exhaust dialogue from her and she'll move to Majula where that contraption you can't move is. Pay her to move it or if you're really strong kill her for the key and that path that is opened is Huntsman's Copse. Just progress regularly from there. The two bosses there are the chariot and skeleton lords. You can join the Brotherhood of Blood if you beat the chariot and Harvest Valley is past the Skeleton Lords and past that is Iron keep

FlyAwayAutumn

May 19, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
What is a good strength based weapon and where do I find it? I haven't had much luck finding decent equipment.
I dual wield Greatswords personally they're A scaling in strength and +10 they just destroy shit. The ultra-greatsword you get from Smelter Demon's soul is badass and has like a fire explosion R2

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
What is that big castle across the rickety bridge in Huntman's Copse? and at the bottom of the well, is that the area were it's all darkness like tomb of the giants?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
PrimitiveJudge said:
What is that big castle across the rickety bridge in Huntman's Copse? and at the bottom of the well, is that the area were it's all darkness like tomb of the giants?
The castle is probably Undead Purgatory.

The deepest part of the well leads to The Gutter.

FlyAwayAutumn

May 19, 2009
PrimitiveJudge said:
Probably the undead purgatory you're looking at

The gutter is down that well you need the ring from Shalquoir to be able to survive the jumps from plank to plank

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The Gutters are probably closer in form to Blightown then Tomb of the Giants. Though they aren't laggy, and the enemies are almost ludicrously simple (barring occasional surprise running-up explodey ones scattered about). Most of the threat in there (and in Black Gulch) is getting poison spammed by off-camera spitting statues.