Dark Souls 2 - The most important question i haven't seen discussed...

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
On the final few weeks of the long wait to my most anticipated game.. well.. ever.. and i haven't seen a thread asking THE single most important question about the game so far.

I haven't googled it because i don't want any official spoilers if they exist, however, i have been pondering for some time...

In Demon's Souls we had Sparkly...

In Dark Souls we had Snuggly...

Who will the crow in DS2 be?

If there is a confirmed answer.. please spoiler it :) Otherwise, speculate away!

I personally hope for Spongy the Crow....

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Heh, who cares about Snuggly anyway? He was only useful to get a couple of items easier by giving other useful items in return, so it was barely worth it...

But most important, now he can have beards. This game needs nothing elso really...

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
If the loss of subtlety from the first game to the second is any indication, the next crow will be a moon sized secret boss (that you of course cannot miss!) with lasers on its head.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The thing is though, the Crows never had any official names.
They're only called Sparkly and Snuggly cause that's what they ask for (spark-twinkly and warm-and-soft respectively).

Maybe the next crow will ask for something tasty and that will be his name, Tasty.

joest01 said:
If the loss of subtlety from the first game to the second is any indication, the next crow will be a moon sized secret boss (that you of course cannot miss!) with lasers on its head.
Or....Laser-y

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
WWmelb said:
If there is a confirmed answer.. please spoiler it :) Otherwise, speculate away!
It has been confirmed.

SILKY!!! SILKY!!! He's encountered early in game by some people.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Chaosritter said:
joest01 said:
To be fair, Snuggly was very easy to miss.

The entire exchange thing is a game of hit and miss, very time consuming without a guide. Seriously, who's supposed to figure out that you're supposed to drop valuable items onto the ground without any reaction, leave and return to find something else when you dropped the right thing? Not like you get any hints other than "give me warm, give me soft".
He reacts when you drop an item he doesn't like, so there's that.

OT: The crows don't actually have names, or rather, they're not named by the devs. I know Snuggly was named by some influental Dark Souls beta tester, I imagine it was something similar for Demon's Souls.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Chaosritter said:
joest01 said:

The entire exchange thing is a game of hit and miss, very time consuming without a guide. Seriously, who's supposed to figure out that you're supposed to drop valuable items onto the ground without any reaction, leave and return to find something else when you dropped the right thing? Not like you get any hints other than "give me warm, give me soft".
Yea?
I seem to remember a big ass crow carrying me off after the tutorial area, so the birdie itself was a little hard to miss :)

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
joest01 said:
Chaosritter said:
joest01 said:

Yea?
I seem to remember a big ass crow carrying me off after the tutorial area, so the birdie itself was a little hard to miss :)
The giant ass crow was not Snuggly, Snuggly itself never appear. Only a voice asking for "soft warm" shit...

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
joest01 said:
Oroboro's most recent video on his experience on the most recent closed test mentioned snuggly as appearing rather early on.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Chaosritter said:
joest01 said:
That's a different crow.

Btw, you can summon that crow to return to the asylum too. Order to do that you have stand on the elevator at the shrine in the starting area, jump off at a certain point and climb up some ruins that have no indication of being relevant in any way.

That game requires more than the average exploration drive...
Really, I had it carry me back and forth a good many times but never had a reason to think it wasn't the same bird.

Exploration drive? Demon's Souls had a great way of weaving its story into the lore. Dark pretty much reduces exploration to reading item descriptions. But that's for another topic entirely :)

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Chaosritter said:
joest01 said:
That's a different crow.

Btw, you can summon that crow to return to the asylum too. Order to do that you have stand on the elevator at the shrine in the starting area, jump off at a certain point and climb up some ruins that have no indication of being relevant in any way.

Couldn't agree more, you should also add one needs a key that's somewhere in Firelink shrine to progress again in the Asylum, so you'll have access to another boss and Dark Knights, but even more importantly, in the Asylum you get the doll so you can access another whole new world (The Painting), still, I also don't recall anything that indicates one should head back for asylum for those things...

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Milanezi said:
Chaosritter said:
joest01 said:
That's a different crow.

Couldn't agree more, you should also add one needs a key that's somewhere in Firelink shrine to progress again in the Asylum, so you'll have access to another boss and Dark Knights, but even more importantly, in the Asylum you get the doll so you can access another whole new world (The Painting), still, I also don't recall anything that indicates one should head back for asylum for those things...
I really need to let this thread get back on topic but the key actually says what its for and the boss is the exact same one you fight in the first 10min of the game.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Vaati said that, during the tutorial, you encounter a "familiar friend" with a "shrill voice," so yeah, I have reason to believe it's our old Crow friend.

[sub]Comes at 6:51[/sub]

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
joest01 said:
Milanezi said:
Chaosritter said:
joest01 said:
That's a different crow.

I really need to let this thread get back on topic but the key actually says what its for and the boss is the exact same one you fight in the first 10min of the game.
Yeah, but the key doesn't tell you HOW to get back to the asylum (granted, one can then go the internet and search a walkthrough to it). Now, i may be wrong, but it's not the same boss: when you first start the game you can see it through the bars, and that's the one you find when/if you return to the Asylum... There are three variants of it, one's the boss you fight during the tutorial, the other is this one we're discussing (optional boss), and last but not least, near the area full of lava and demons there's the third variant (which, as you know, is somewhat optional, if you're in the Chaos Covenant - lvl 2 or 3 dunno - you can use a shortcut and ignore the boss)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just want them to take out the "platforming" bits or what have you. The engine just wasn't made for jumping and those parts are janky as all hell.

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
I'm just hoping DS2 will have a more full-fledged trade/barter system than DS1. Dropping stuff on the ground and hoping you get something good and feeding stuff to a serpent for a few measly souls isn't very good.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Chaosritter said:

Yeah, I really hope that there's nothing quite that arbitrary in Dark Souls 2. Mechanics like that were just time consuming guesswork.