Dark Souls 3 hype thread!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
llsaidknockyouout said:
I expect it to be more of the same like Dark Souls 2.

Great for diehard fans. But it won't win new people over.
Interesting, I always felt it was the opposite. People who loved DS1 were upset with the changes made in DSII (I was one of them) while those less invested in the franchise saw it as a more refined experience.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
JUMBO PALACE said:
llsaidknockyouout said:

Interesting, I always felt it was the opposite. People who loved DS1 were upset with the changes made in DSII (I was one of them) while those less invested in the franchise saw it as a more refined experience.
I started with Dark Souls 2. And I never could play the first game as the perfomance issues just angered me. As such I never had a problem with Dark Souls 2, it was the game that got me into the series in the first place. Bloodborne only solidified my enjoyment of the games and having DS3 be a somewhat combination of both series...well, the excitement is bloody festering!

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Gonna wait for a week before I buy it.

For starters, I want to play Dark Souls 1 some more, because I only just discovered how good this game was over the past week.

I also remember the disastrous PC launch for Dark Souls 2. I'm going to wait and make sure the game isn't broken before I buy it.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
CritialGaming said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
llsaidknockyouout said:

I started with Dark Souls 2. And I never could play the first game as the perfomance issues just angered me. As such I never had a problem with Dark Souls 2, it was the game that got me into the series in the first place. Bloodborne only solidified my enjoyment of the games and having DS3 be a somewhat combination of both series...well, the excitement is bloody festering!
Yeah I can understand that frustration. I think which game you played first had a lot to do with which game you thought was superior.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
SlumlordThanatos said:

For starters, I want to play Dark Souls 1 some more, because I only just discovered how good this game was over the past week.

I also remember the disastrous PC launch for Dark Souls 2. I'm going to wait and make sure the game isn't broken before I buy it.
I think disastrous is pushing it a bit but yeah, that was not the smoothest launch. I remember holding off for a number of weeks because of all the assorted issues. I had to fix the controller deadzone myself with a popular mod and From didn't even address the durability FPS bug until Scholar (which I didn't bother with since DSII wasn't for me). By all accounts though the PC port is looking good for DS3. PC gamer at least had good performance and Durante (the guy behind DSFix and GeoDosato gave it a thumbs up as well).

Sharia

Nov 30, 2015
JUMBO PALACE said:
llsaidknockyouout said:

DS III reminds me so much more of 1 than it does 2, especially in its level design and difficulty. People will understand better when they play it, but this game really is a bit of a love letter to Dark Souls 1. It is already at a disadvantage because the formula no longer feels fresh, but it does have all the magic of the original and certainly doesn't feel like a rushed sequel.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
JUMBO PALACE said:
llsaidknockyouout said:

I really felt it was too derivative. They fixed a lot of my gripes about the play experience of DS1, but every other monster was an homage to the first. Nito was cool, the Rotten was just Nito's younger brother. And they added all or nothing attacks plus the adaptability stat that infuriated me.

Still though... 6 pm EDT is 4 pm for me, so since I downloaded it yesterday, I guess I'm playing right away.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Picking the steelbook edition up tomorrow. The music is always stellar in these games, so it's great to get the soundtrack as well. Let's hope it won't have many technical problems at launch. I'd rather not have it be like Bloodborne where the loading times were initially unbearable.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:

[HEADING=2]I'M SO FREAKEN READY RIGHT NOW YOU WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW.[/HEADING]​
Oh my God, the jealousy is real. I can't wait for my copy of the steal book to arrive. I'll probably be rocking out to the soundtrack in my car. The wait is unbearable. I liked Bloodborne, but coming back to Dark Soul's is like putting on a well worn glove. It fits perfectly.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:

Oh, yeah, I would honestly finish the first one before starting three. From what I've seen this looks like a direct sequel to the first game. I won't get into detail, but it would be a real shame if certain parts were spoiled by jumping into the sequel. Honestly the ending left me in awe.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
bartholen said:
Picking the steelbook edition up tomorrow. The music is always stellar in these games, so it's great to get the soundtrack as well. Let's hope it won't have many technical problems at launch. I'd rather not have it be like Bloodborne where the loading times were initially unbearable.
Is the complete soundtrack out already? I guess I'll just pick it up on iTunes then (I am sure it will be good).

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
bartholen said:
I pre-ordered for the sountrack as well. Does that unlock on release as well or did Steam download the files in the background and send them somewhere I wasn't paying attention?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
B-Cell said:
Never seen the apeal of franchise. its horribly optimize on PC with showing xbox putton prompts instead of keyboard and mouse.
Only the first one. The second one was properly optimized.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Sheria said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
llsaidknockyouout said:

DS III reminds me so much more of 1 than it does 2, especially in its level design and difficulty. People will understand better when they play it, but this game really is a bit of a love letter to Dark Souls 1. It is already at a disadvantage because the formula no longer feels fresh, but it does have all the magic of the original and certainly doesn't feel like a rushed sequel.
A DS1 with polish/a DS2 with soul?

Yiss

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I am so excited! I'll probably pick it up thursday after my dissertation's in although I probably won't be able to play it until after the 27th. Fucking games, coming out at the end of term.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Meet Faith, who is probably the only character I made to have continuity. What I mean is, I made her in the first Dark Souls and she entered the 2nd cycle (aka Dark Souls 2) and completed that game. I'm going to bring her into Dark Souls III ... think of it as when you played Shepard in all the Mass Effect games. That is what i'm doing with Faith who's conquering the cycles in the Dark Souls universe.
I have the Pickles Dynasty.

Pickles I, Pickles II and the soon to exist Pickles III.

There was a falling out in the line of Cucumber, that left everyone a little sour so these souls left to conquer undeath itself.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
Fox12 said:
Oh my God, the jealousy is real. I can't wait for my copy of the steal book to arrive. I'll probably be rocking out to the soundtrack in my car. The wait is unbearable. I liked Bloodborne, but coming back to Dark Soul's is like putting on a well worn glove. It fits perfectly.
Heh, I feel you man. I got so excited about Dark Souls III being out soon that I ended up making a special character for the occasion.

Faith in Dark Souls

Faith in Dark Souls 2​

Meet Faith, who is probably the only character I made to have continuity. What I mean is, I made her in the first Dark Souls and she entered the 2nd cycle (aka Dark Souls 2) and completed that game. I'm going to bring her into Dark Souls III ... think of it as when you played Shepard in all the Mass Effect games. That is what i'm doing with Faith who's conquering the cycles in the Dark Souls universe.
Oh, I like that. That's interesting. It would be funny to have a family of characters that take place in every game. I like to make little meta narratives like that.

I'm playing around with the idea of having multi-player specific characters. Maybe a sun bro with a comically large chin, named captain justice, or a pvp character named Got Gud.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Fox12 said:
Heh, I feel you man. I got so excited about Dark Souls III being out soon that I ended up making a special character for the occasion.

Faith in Dark Souls

Faith in Dark Souls 2​

Wow, you just gave me an awesome idea. In Oblivion, I ha my own dynasty/lineage of magic-focused characters called Hypermauge I,II, etc.

In the Souls games, straight swords were always my primary choice, specifically the Longsword, Claymore, and Zweihander. Perhaps I shall try it this time, and name them after a certain Servant in a certain anime that uses a giant sword. Hmmmm....

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
SantoUno said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Fox12 said:

Faith in Dark Souls

Faith in Dark Souls 2​

Wow, you just gave me an awesome idea. In Oblivion, I ha my own dynasty/lineage of magic-focused characters called Hypermauge I,II, etc.

In the Souls games, straight swords were always my primary choice, specifically the Longsword, Claymore, and Zweihander. Perhaps I shall try it this time, and name them after a certain Servant in a certain anime that uses a giant sword. Hmmmm....
You can actually get a nearly spot on perfect rendition of Claire from claymore, relying on the silver knight armor and a... Claymore.

I noticed that one of the chest pieces looked suspiciously similar to Guts's armor. Maybe I can FINALLY do the Guts play through I've always dreamed about.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I got it a day early. I just this very moment finished installing the update.