Dark Souls 3 Launch Trailer Hits Japan

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Dark Souls 3 Launch Trailer Hits Japan

The Japanese launch trailer for Dark Souls 3 has arrived!

If you're like the rest of us, you're looking forward to the launch of Dark Souls 3 on April 12. But if you're in Japan, your wait is much shorter, as the launch date there is tomorrow, March 24. To show off the new game, From Software has rolled out the Japanese launch trailer.

Luckily, the trailer is voiced in English with Japanese subtitles, so if you want to check out what's coming your way in April, you can enjoy it in the embed above. Of course, that also means that you'll fully understand the implications of this quote from the trailer:

"You'll face death and it won't be pretty, enough death to leave you broken, time after time."

Yeah, that sounds like Dark Souls, all right.

Granted, there's not much in the way of clear info, but that's the nature of the beast with this series. Still, since series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki says this is the game that will wrap up the Souls series, you can expect that all will become clear soon, assuming you don't die along the way.

[gallery=6059]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am so jelly of Japan right now. I booked two days off work for this game XD

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Fappy said:
don't think that will be enough, at least i hope not.

In the trailer around 2:10, was that Lord Gwen on the dragons back?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jeroenr said:
Fappy said:

I am pretty sure this takes place after DS1 (Link the Fire ending, specifically), so I doubt it is him. In any case, that boss stood out over all the rest in that trailer. I am so hyped!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Jeroenr said:
Fappy said:

It sure looked like him. And since the old Lords are coming back to life, I wouldn't be surprised if he's around. He is the first Lord after all.

Japan, you suck. Why do you get this game before the rest of us? "Jealous" doesn't begin to cover it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Fappy said:
God damn I'm torn. I bought the Collector's set. On the one hand, totally worth it. On the other, I'm going to have to wait over a week after release to actually play it >:eek:

I haven't been this excited for a release since the third installment of the franchise-that-shall-not-be-named.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fox12 said:
Fappy said:
God damn I'm torn. I bought the Collector's set. On the one hand, totally worth it. On the other, I'm going to have to wait over a week after release to actually play it >:eek:

I haven't been this excited for a release since the third installment of the franchise-that-shall-not-be-named.
I envy your patience. There's no way I could do that to myself >.<

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Was there any connection story-wise between DS1 and DS2? I know that Dark Souls is one of those games where you really have to work to get all the various lore that's going on, but I couldn't detect any real connection between the two games. Or am I missing something?

d3s4nN

Feb 2, 2011
uhm... anyone else thinking that the guy on the dragon at 2:10ish looks A LOT like gwyn?

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
Was there any connection story-wise between DS1 and DS2? I know that Dark Souls is one of those games where you really have to work to get all the various lore that's going on, but I couldn't detect any real connection between the two games. Or am I missing something?
Yea there's a BIG connection between 1 and 2, just takes some digging around to find it.

At the end of Dark Souls 1 we had the choice of linking the fire to replenish the first flame incinerating our own soul in the process, or walking away and letting it fade to embers and embrace the coming Dark. In Dark Souls 2, if you look around enough, you can find that Drangleic, is actually built upon the ruins of hundreds of older kingdoms, and there are always repeated patterns appearing. A kingdom rises from the ashes of an old one, built upon four great souls only to eventually fall into darkness as the flames fade and the undead curse appears once again.

At the end of Dark Souls 2, we find that the Throne of Want, is actually a Kiln in which the First Flame resides and we are once again given the choice to reignite the flames, or let them fade. This time however, there is a third option (with the SOTFS update): walk away from it all entirely and break the cycle, for that is what was truly going on. When Gwyn linked the flame to humanity at the end of the original age of fire (getting into some speculation here as the lore is cryptic) humanity was robbed of something integral to the entire species, and their entire being revolved around the existance of the first flame, and humans were encouraged to offer humanity to keep the flame going. However, inevitably the flames faded and with them humanity itself reducing humans to undead and hollows.

That is until one undead is strong enough to face the challenges in their way as they are inevitably drawn to find a cure (in DS2) or to simply survive and learn the truth of the world (DS1) and make it to the first flame and reignite it starting the cycle over again. Should the flames be ignored, an age of dark comes but inevitably is overthrown by some new undead strong enough to overthrow the darkness and set the flames alight once more.

That's what the story of DS2 reveals, and that Drangleic is actually built upon countless ruins of kingdoms built in the same spot as Lordran.

Look up Vaati Vidya on youtube, he has a lot of videos explaining the lore of DS1 and 2, and they're quite entertaining and explain everything better than I can.

DS2 ending explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hwCGxhFOlM

DS2 Story explained (watch the ending video first) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNo9Ow6XG10

EDIT: The first sin Explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdk_fvXG5xA
EDIT AGAIN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su_0PnMRfiU
So yea, that's the big thing. Also those 3 videos linked at the end explains it all in much more detail.

EDIT: Another video added... so 4 now.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
I do hope that DS3 story will be on par with DS1.
DS1 gave just enough to add to the mystery, in DS2 they gave just a tiny bit less and things felt disconnected from time to time.