Dark Souls 3 Preview - The Lord of Cinder Returns

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
"Lord of cinder" is a title given to beings who linked the fire. Remember people that Dark souls is all about cycles of light and dark.

The title is not Gwyns, he only received it after he linked the fire.

Dave control who was in an interview with Myazaki actually confirmed this.

So everyone who decides to link the fire is considered a "lord of cinder"

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
...That Lord of Cider...
On shit, are we getting dwarves in this game? That'd be pretty sweet.

OT: I am really hoping we finally get to see beyond the cycle. I want to see what the world looks like without light or dark, just something completely different, with a different end goal as well. That's why I was so pumped about Bloodborne. More souls games without it just being more of the original.

timenchange11

Sep 27, 2010
Karadalis said:
"Lord of cinder" is a title given to beings who linked the fire. Remember people that Dark souls is all about cycles of light and dark.

The title is not Gwyns, he only received it after he linked the fire.

Dave control who was in an interview with Myazaki actually confirmed this.

So everyone who decides to link the fire is considered a "lord of cinder"
No. Nonono. NO NO NO NO! Darks Souls 2 never happened! There are no cycles! The light goes out, the light goes out.

Damn you, Tanimura...

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
timenchange11 said:
No. Nonono. NO NO NO NO! Darks Souls 2 never happened! There are no cycles! The light goes out, the light goes out.

Damn you, Tanimura...
The idea of cycles was heavily implied in DS1 - read between the lines, and the undead curse only seems to show up when the flame is beginning to fade. If you choose to link the fire in DS1's ending, then it's a temporary solution at best, since the flame will fade again sooner or later.

So even if you ignore DS2, there's been at least 2 cycles: The flame fading until Gwyn linked the fire, followed by the flame fading again up to and during DS1.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Also to the people that disliked DS2 for its level design:

Myazaki claimed to be responsible for that... yeah... so having a shipyard under the sea level and stuff like that is because of him.

But hey! Fire breathing dragon on a castle amiright?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
WolvDragon said:
Is DS2 really as bad as the fans claim it is?
Compared to the first game the level and boss design is pretty weak. Gameplay is much, much better though.

DS2 just has the unfortunate fate if being compared to DS1 all the time.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
WolvDragon said:
Is DS2 really as bad as the fans claim it is?
Depends, if you loved DS1 as much as someone (like me) did, DSII is a slap in the face.

If you thought DS1 was alright, then you should think DSII is alright.

Also keep in mind, a lot of the reason DSII is hated is because it failed to deliver on its promises.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Karadalis said:
Also to the people that disliked DS2 for its level design:

Myazaki claimed to be responsible for that... yeah... so having a shipyard under the sea level and stuff like that is because of him.
I just don't believe that, my friend. DS2 is such a departure in level design from Demon and Dark Souls as well as Bloodbourne. It didn't feel like an interconnected world and many of the transitions were suspension-of-disbelief shattering.

I've heard (most recently in a Fail Forward episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Td0aesimw) that the production of DS2 was troubled and cut short. Perhaps it's possible that Miyazaki indeed laid out the world, but development problems prevented his vision from being realized.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
WolvDragon said:
I guess if I ever played DS2 I would prob think it wouldn't be as bad, what about the DLCS?
the DLCs have some good in them, but they also reinforce the bad by showcasing the worst aspects of DS2, particularly the bosses.