Dark Souls and GWFL: A story of >:( and ;_;

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
TakeshiLive said:
Don't you need to be signed in and online to save?
You need to have an account I believe, but you don't have to register. You only have to register in order to play online. At least I remember that being the case. It's been a long time since I did the sign up bullshit, and as you may imagine, I haven't touched it since, so I may be a bit off. It was something like that in any case.
Huh, I managed to launch GWFL Marketplace program and logged in with my gamertag email I use for the xbox but DS still doesn't register that GWFL is working now. Solutions?

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
TakeshiLive said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I've managed to put up with it by not registering. When I load the game up, GFWL asks me to login but I simply tell it to fuck off and it goes to sulk in the corner and that's it. Of course, this means I can only play offline, but that doesn't really bother me at all.

Hopefully when the useless piece of shit finally dies, From Software will make the game more playable through Steam or whatever.
Don't you need to be signed in and online to save?
From my experience, yeah. I invested a LOT of time in Fallout 3, then one day I run it in offline mode and find all my saves are gone. Game is completely cleared out. So I suck it up, start again and build up another character, get invested again. Pour hours and hours into it again. Then one day I load it up again and bam, my old saves are back. Problem is that all of the other save games I made when the first ones were lost.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
I have yet to actually play Dark Souls 1 for any length of time, owing to GFWL. I bought it during a sale, figuring i may as well play it. Well i download it, install it, so far so good. Turns out though that the game refuses to start. It starts up and then immediately gives me an "Dark Souls has encountered an error and must be closed", citing xlive.dll as the culprit, which is in the directory its supposed to be in (given i google'd for solutions). The only option is to remove a certain file, which while letting me start the game kills GFWL entirely, not allowing me to even safe the game.

In short the problem is that GFWL for some reason cant start properly and therefore terminates the game as well, attempts to install it manually from the MS Website always end with "sorry, we cant finish the installation because there was an error but we arent going to tell you what the error is". In short, i cant play it until such a time that GFWL is entirely removed from the goddamn game. Conversly i have gone through Dark Souls 2 thrice by now and never had any issues. So yeah, good riddance to GFWL once it dies.

Apr 8, 2010
TakeshiLive said:
Chromatic Aberration said:
That sucks, dude, being stomped by people with unfair gear :(

At least you got the game working right? So GFWL worked for you no problems?
Yep had zero problems with it. However, I do have a live-account and made one with GFWL back in the day so idk what I needed to do back then. One thing, however, to get the game to run was that I verified the game cache before I started...

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Worst experience I had with GFWL was for GTA4, since there was also the Rockstar club or whatever it's called to sign up for, on top of Steam, too. Three layers of annoying to play one game.

The biggest problem with GFWL in Dark Souls is the fact that, for some reason, GFWL refuses to log in the first time around. It always has to wait for the second try before logging in. Only got DS recently and I didn't see it needed GFWL, I wouldn't have bought it yet otherwise.

OP, one thing you could try is make an offline profile, as I heard it solves a lot of connection problems, and you can still save.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Dead Century said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Dead Century said:
If a game has GFWL, Uplay, or some other junky DRM on top of Steam, I simply won't buy it. Not worth the potential annoyance. On PC, it's either Steamworks, DRM free, or an account system like Minecraft for me.

Plus, I have a PS3 and 360, so I can get those games elsewhere without the hassle.
wasnt ubisoft trying to push uplay into consoles as well? be afraid
Yeah, they were. If you use the multiplayer for Assassin's Creed. You can also get bonus missions and such if you use a Uplay/Ubisoft account. It's optional though, and I can take my consoles offline to play, no problem.
I don't actually mind uplay on consoles, in fact I'd even go so far as to say it made my far cry 3 and black flag experiences marginally better. What with the extra missions and weapons (plus that swanky fucking pirate outfit for Edward). I do believe that DRM is inherently bad, but if you're gonna do it, some extra content really softens the blow. I like the idea of an achievement system that actually results in tangible rewards too, which uplay does. Basically yeah, drm sucks and it can only be worse on the PC because of the ubiquity of digital purchases. However I think that ubisoft actually tried to make uplay have some sort of value beyond being drm, so yeah.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Worst experience I had with GFWL was for GTA4, since there was also the Rockstar club or whatever it's called to sign up for, on top of Steam, too. Three layers of annoying to play one game.

The biggest problem with GFWL in Dark Souls is the fact that, for some reason, GFWL refuses to log in the first time around. It always has to wait for the second try before logging in. Only got DS recently and I didn't see it needed GFWL, I wouldn't have bought it yet otherwise.

OP, one thing you could try is make an offline profile, as I heard it solves a lot of connection problems, and you can still save.
Well thing is, I managed to get GWFL to launch and I can sign in with the email I use for xbox live (having recently come over from consoles) but when I start up DS, the games doesn't even try to connect to GFWL and I'm plonked down in offline mode with no way of saving.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Azure23 said:
What with the extra missions and weapons (plus that swanky fucking pirate outfit for Edward). I do believe that DRM is inherently bad, but if you're gonna do it, some extra content really softens the blow.
You had me at swanky pirate outfit.