Dark Souls HELP ME! Cheats,tips,hints Anything!

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Exius Xavarus said:
While Lautrec may drop a Firekeeper Soul, you need to use that soul to bring Anastacia back to life so you can use the Firekeep Shrine bonfire. On your first run, I recommend pushing Lautrec off the cliff and reloading, right off the bat. Lautrec comes with two nasties when you eventually battle him and for the inexperienced, it's a very, very tough battle.
According to the wiki anyway it's Lautrec who kills Anastacia so if you kill him before the quest starts you won't need to bring her back to life. Of course longer term you might miss some of the benefits but in the early game it's helpful. I don't know if it's a good idea or not but I was recommended this to make the game a bit easier

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
erttheking said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Trade it in and buy Skyrim
You do know that that isn't helpful at all nor does it answer the OP's question right?
But it does, this way he can play a game that's good and enjoyable, instead of infuriating and lacking.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Rack said:
Exius Xavarus said:
While Lautrec may drop a Firekeeper Soul, you need to use that soul to bring Anastacia back to life so you can use the Firekeep Shrine bonfire. On your first run, I recommend pushing Lautrec off the cliff and reloading, right off the bat. Lautrec comes with two nasties when you eventually battle him and for the inexperienced, it's a very, very tough battle.
According to the wiki anyway it's Lautrec who kills Anastacia so if you kill him before the quest starts you won't need to bring her back to life. Of course longer term you might miss some of the benefits but in the early game it's helpful. I don't know if it's a good idea or not but I was recommended this to make the game a bit easier
I'm well aware. That's precisely why Lautrec drops what he does. The only long term benefit is a suit of armor that isn't very good, and it's ugly(as far as I'm concerned, at least). And you're out of a bonfire for a good while. There isn't really much benefit to letting Lautrec live.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
wait wait wait...are you saying you just barely got past the tutorial and are already accusing the game of cheating? oh boy, you have got a long road ahead of you. first of all, this game takes skill and patience. that isnt the same thing as cheating. i dont honestly know what area you are talking about though, because i dont know how you are fighting dragons that early in the game. you want to go up to the bridge where there are 4 zombies, one of which throws fire. thats the first level of the game, so to speak. i would suggest a strength build. ive beat the game with a dex build and a strength build and the strength build felt like easy mode. you will also want a bow and about 200 arrows asap, so you can get the drake sword (you dont need 200 but having extra arrows is a good thing)

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
SweetLiquidSnake said:
erttheking said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
You do know that that isn't helpful at all nor does it answer the OP's question right?
But it does, this way he can play a game that's good and enjoyable, instead of infuriating and lacking.
i personally thought skyrim kinda sucked but im not trying to debate personal opinion, thats pointless. im just curious what you think dark souls is lacking.

also, since the op said he uninstalled the game after he rage quit, im guessing hes playing on pc so trading it in for skyrim isnt really an option

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Exius Xavarus said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Trying to fight the bridge dragon at that stage in the game will probably result in a horrible burny death. You are supposed to go down the stairs and underneath it.

Of course there's no way of knowing that straight off but I figured it out without too much bother.

It's Dark Souls. Just accept that you are going to die, a lot.
Or you can quickly run to a safe spot on the other side of the railing on the staircase and shoot an arrow at the dragon. It'll hope down to come attack you and you can leg it all the way to the bonfire. Once there, run toward the Sunlight Warrior statue and you're completely safe from the dragon.

I never go underneath the bridge anymore. Besides, that's really the only way you can actually reach that bonfire, alternative to directly killing the dragon. :x
I usually go under the dragon at a later point of course and open the portcullis. Maybe do it earlier if I need the lightning spell.

Depends what I'm doing with my character sometimes I don't bother.

epidemia

Nov 24, 2012
teebeeohh said:
always have a bow and several hundred wooden arrow with you, a lot of times the ability to pull enemies to you helps a lot. and there are a couple of bosses that are really easy with a bow(looking at you spider-witch)
You can only shoot off its tail from beneath the bridge, which is something noobs do to get an overpowered but ultimately gimped sword. You can actually kill it on top of the bridge if you lure it down there but its not something Id recommend to low level characters.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SweetLiquidSnake said:
erttheking said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
That is your opinion, an opinion that he may not share. Besides, he decided that he wanted to give Dark Souls another chance, saying that he shouldn't be playing it is just infuriating and unhelpful.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
After the Crow carries you to the Firelink Shrine you want to go to the right, up a staircase built into a hill. Basically just keep going that way for as long as you can and take your time. Sometimes you really need all the help you can get so maybe the first thing you should do is look up where all the bonfires are.

You've got a long way to go but the sense of achievement that comes from kicking this game's ass is second to none!

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
SweetLiquidSnake said:
erttheking said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Skyrim has a crap combat system and isn't challenging at all. Dark Souls is incredibly satisfying and a much more rewarding experience.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Yokillernick said:
So I played Dark Souls for a bit two months ago. Got past the prison and into the first area where I spent the rest of the game as I kept getting raped from all sides as soon as I left the fireplace. The enemy was not hard to defeat 1 on 1. Even 2 on 1 was manageable but when the fucking dragon swooped down I got killed. I respawned and to my horror so did all the enemies I spent half an hour trying to get passed. I repeated the process 5 times before I said fuck this shit and uninstalled the game. But now I want to play it again and this time I want to beat it. However I am pretty sure that the game is cheating and I would like some help to fight back. Anything really. Hints, tips, god weapons, unbeatable classes and builds . Whatever you have. I would really appreciate beating this cheating pile of crap. Thanks.

EDIT: So the area goes like this. I have just defeated the first boss. That's the one in the prison level, the one that you start above him and can attack him while in middair. After that I walk up a hill and a cutrscene plays with a giant eagle. Then I get taken to the area. There are two paths. One leads to some sort of graveyard with 6 skeletons while the other leads to the walls where there are dragons and such. I got past the first bit of that wall and made it to the bonfire. Then I made my way a little further where I got raped by the dragon. I hope this clears it out as to whereabouts I ragequit.
The trick for the dragon is two-fold:

First: With as low of an equipment rating as possible and with as much fire resistance as possible, run past the fire-breathing dragon into the middle of the bridge, and down the stairs right there, where you'll be safe from the flames.

After that, go through the hall and kick the ladder down. This will let you skip ALL of those previous enemies from that bonfire and just climb up the latter.

Then, travel under the bridge and continue on your way. If you wish to fight the dragon or open your way to an optional bonfire, just come back later when you have better armor/weapons/stats/training.

As far as tips and tricks go, don't be afraid to spend some time buying better weapons or buying a bow/arrows for pulling enemies from a distance for 1-on-1 combat. Make sure to make full use of dodging, target-locking and guarding, and your kick ability to make enemies off-guard. Learn to parry, riposte, and back-stab by watching your enemies' movements and learning from them.

Let me reiterate: Learn your enemy's movements and when there is an opening for attack. Treat it just like a 3D Legend of Zelda game, nearly identical in gameplay style but with added difficulty.

Otherwise, don't be afraid to use the three different Dark Souls wikis to help. Also, make sure to use Durante's DSFix for better resolution and handling on the PC version.

Edit:

Moonlight Butterfly said:
I usually go under the dragon at a later point of course and open the portcullis. Maybe do it earlier if I need the lightning spell.
[Emphasis added]. I just learned a new word today, thank you for that. I always just called it a "gate." Obviously the US never really had these fortress-entrances like the UK has/had, having never had castles from many centuries ago, which is probably why I was never taught the term.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Yokillernick said:
Thank you for your contribution. If you've played the game, you'd know that you are perfectly justified to search for cheats after wasting 2 hours of your life on one area.
Quazimofo said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Learn to use magic. That probably would have helped me, but I gave up on that game long ago. Pity too, I understand I got a good ways into it.
do you remember what area? and why did you give up? just got bored? probably very justified ragequit?
Yeah, pretty much justified ragequit. So the area goes like this. I have just defeated the first boss. That's the one in the prison level, the one that you start above him and can attack him while in middair. After that I walk up a hill and a cutrscene plays with a giant eagle. Then I get taken to the area. There are two paths. One leads to some sort of graveyard with 6 skeletons while the other leads to the walls where there are dragons and such. I got past the first bit of that wall and made it to the bonfire. Then I made my way a little further where I got raped by the dragon. I hope this clears it out as to whereabouts I ragequit.
the dragon on the bridge really pisses a lot of people off, and i understand that too (i couldn't kill it until i got a +5 lightning uchikatana, otherwise it did its 1 hit ko fire breath attack). We (dark souls veterans) really must do a better job of spreading the word that you just need to sprint across the bridge naked to get to the staircase on the right side, then go on the door on the left to get the shortcut to that bonfire that all newbies will be VERY familiar with.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Basically, the first thing you have to realize is that actually fighting all the enemies is a stupid idea. You fight enemies when you really need some Souls, but other than that, running by just about everyone is almost always the best option. That and be a pyromancer because they're broken as fuck.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
SweetLiquidSnake said:
erttheking said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Really? I find that Skyrim is boring and far too easy. Its combat is only designed for brute force and attrition rather than skill, and most of the content just seems like filler.

Honestly, Skyrim is far more lacking to me than Dark Souls. Someone described how it seems to me once, and I'll try to repeat it as best as possible:

Skyrim is a living, thriving world that you want to be a part of...but feel as if you're being excluded from it, making you feel like a boring hero with little purpose. Dark Souls TELLS you that you're worthless and insignificant, that its world goes on with or without you, with gameplay designed around this idea. Skyrim, on the other hand, has its gameplay design and world design clashing.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Rack said:
Exius Xavarus said:
If I recall she drops a set of armour that while being not very good for defence has the highest curse defence of any armour in the game. Although unless you are playing a super light weight character they probably won't be useful.

By the time he does it that bonfire isn't terribly useful any way.

You can also summon him for two boss fights although on one you really don't need to and the other one you can have Solaire so again you don't need to.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Nomanslander said:
You want cheap? Just wait until you get to this part.
Now, I don't find the game cheap at all really, but this part was just... something else.

lol

0.o
Fuck. That part.

Although that strategy is pretty nice, a bit risky though because it requires precise footwork. I found another method of when he pulls out his sword, if you have the stamina for it to just let him bump himself off the edge. His swings won't do much, but if you stay in that corner he was in right next to the knight, when he does his shield bump to break your guard, he bumps himself off the edge.

Haven't thoroughly tested this or anything, but that's how I got past it.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
You can run under the dragon if you time it right. After his first burst of flame, take cover in the middle section of the bridge and hide there for a bit, making sure to keep the dragon visibile. The moment he leaps from his perch to look for you, run out and and you can run right between his legs. Beware, though, the dragon may turn around and fry you in the room at the end, so you'll want to run out the right exit of that room as soon as you make it there. Only activate the bonfire when the dragon's fire is gone.

Another cool thing, though this is more difficult: when you run under him, two-hand your weapon and slash at the dragon's tail. If you do enough damage to the tail, it drops a really powerful sword. That sword is awesome for the early part of the game.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Exius Xavarus said:
Rack said:
Exius Xavarus said:
I'm well aware. That's precisely why Lautrec drops what he does. The only long term benefit is a suit of armor that isn't very good, and it's ugly(as far as I'm concerned, at least). And you're out of a bonfire for a good while. There isn't really much benefit to letting Lautrec live.
Unless you're interested in talking to the Firekeeper, which is a nice tidbit if you want to experience more of the world and its inhabitants. But yeah, not having the bonfire for a while is kind of a pain.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Anthraxus said:
Yokillernick said:
. I repeated the process 5 times before I said fuck this shit and uninstalled the game. .
5 times and you're ready to give up ?

And now you're looking for cheats ?

LOL. The modern gamer in a nutshell.
I'm not one for the poo-pooing of modern gamer's, but dying ONLY five times?

That's like...not...a lot of dying for Dark Souls.