Dark Souls II Dev May Reconsider "No DLC" Policy

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
alj said:
I think what he means by no DLC is, we are shipping a game with all of the content in nothing held back and then when its out there is potential to start working on DLC.

Take note EA this is how you do DLC don't hold back part of the main game to sell later.
To do something like that you would first need to make the DLC as bad as possible otherwise with EA its always going to be content that is held back to be DLC, of course then its EA just trying to milk the "fans" with bad content.

purplemonkey555

Aug 23, 2013
dmonkoff said:
Well, if the future DLC will be like Artorias of the Abyss I'm in.
Absolutely. Artorias added a ton of content and story/lore details to make it really feel like it was worth the cash. That's how you do DLC: More pie, not the rest of your pie.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Honesetly, DLC isn't a problem by itself. If it's the same level of quality as the one for Dark Souls, then by all means, bring it on.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am biased seeing as I bought the Prepare to Die edition of Dark Souls that already included the DLC (for cheaper than the game on it's own would have cost upon release I should add), but if the DLC is of the same kind of quality as Artorias of the Abyss then I won't complain.

I also hope that it won't be anything that feels "required" to play in order to fully enjoy the story. In my opinion decent DLC supplements the main game, it doesn't add things that you "need". Bioware with their DLC adding main story elements is the wrong way to go and I hope they don't do it like that.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Given that the game is set to release in the next month or so, doesn't that mean that they're already completing it as a full game, except now they're getting ideas of "oh, wait, why didn't we include this"? Doesn't sound like anything wrong, if that's the case.

Seabear

May 22, 2011
I think this is more a case of "Let's actually make a full game, then if there's demand, we'll give you extra", rather than just withholding areas and gear for an Online Pass/Unlock code on Disc DLC. Dark Souls 1 was fairly complete as a standalone, AotA just expanded on lore and had a good standalone element to it. Well worth the pennies.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
teebeeohh said:
Steven Bogos said:
Dark Souls II release on March 11 for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.
isn't the PC version moved to may(which i hated until i decided to like titanfall)?
i am ok with DLC if it is like the Artorias dlc. which had one of the coolest interactions with the main game ever by changing the cutscene with sif. i literally refused to fight him after that.
allegedly it is no longer may, just 'some time after'. i believe the time frame was "weeks after, not months". but AFAIK, no official date as of yet... fuckin sucks.

and games like this i happily buy the DLC for, because it is substantial, not forced, and enjoyable. not only that, but the DLC is only a dot in the horizon when the game is actually being released, not something the game is made around

Seabear

May 22, 2011
Hell, the way they accommodated unused elements from the game into the Painted World of Ariamis, thereby taking random, unlinked elements AND GIVING THEM IN INGAME LORE RELATED REASON TO EXIST was pretty inspired.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
I remember when someone told me that the whole dusk thing going back in time was a DLC, I was like, dude, I spent like 8 hours in there, no way that was dlc. If that's what they produce again, I'm in.

Aug 1, 2010
I really don't have a problem with DLC at a fundamental level like some people do.

As long as the DLC is content that truly could not has been in the vanilla game and production began after the primary game was finished, I'm cool with it.

Artorias of the Abyss was excellent, so if they can come up with something even close to that, I say go for it.

raichu845

Apr 15, 2009
As long as they don't go overboard with the DLCs such as games like Borderlands and Call of Duty where you have to pay countless of dollars to get the maximum amount of levels, if they release a season pass with just content updates and spare us the useless costume packs and other novelties one usually gets from micro-transactions it shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that good content DLCs are the equivalent of expansion packs we had in the 90's such as the Lord of Destruction expansion for Diablo II

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm still worried about the PC release. It's still a ghost on Steam. Usually the game would at least have a page by now.

crispskittlez

Jan 14, 2010
As long as there isn't such an upheaval in the game's balance like with the introduction of dark sorcery in AotA, then by all means a bit of DLC a year down the road would be welcome.

vipLink

May 28, 2011
Bke said:
Well I'm mistaken it seems. However I distinctly recall the download was tiny, like in the kilobyte kinda size. Mayhaps it was in one of the other updates
Your not completely wrong. The Original Game didn't have the DLC on Disk.
But a Patch was released 1.06 that had all the necessary Content.
So yes once you bought it all you had to do was download a small fraction.
The DLC had a lot of content that was pvp oriented so players entering your world were supposed to be able to use their new items...
If you hadn't received that content in an update, the playerbase would have been separated in DLC and non DLC Players, which obviously isn't great.

OT: I have no problem with this. This is how DLC should work. I'm guessing he originally just wanted to say that they aren't planning to release cut content as payed DLC, and now he's just backpedalling from the previous statement to make sure nobody throws a fuss when they deliver on new content.

To be honest I'm glad they went back on this, the Dark Souls DLC fixed some problems that weren't obvious during development and I'm pretty sure that Dark Souls II isn't going to be perfect from the get go. Letting them have the Option of making certain elements more enjoyable, but also giving them the option to get paid for the improvements is a win-win in my book.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
While I was proud before that this will be a full game (god forbid we're not allowed to have those these days), I'm really excited to hear actual expansions be considered for Dark Souls 2 to increase its replay ability 10 fold.

I trust From will make something similar to the AotA content, only a thousand times better when you consider the vast improvements already made to the vanilla game, even prior to it's release.

I say this with much gusto and full trust to you FromSoftware...

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
As said already, if FromSoftware take the same approach to DLC that they did for Artorias of the Abyss, I have nothing to say but "I'm on board". From are one of the few developers out there who still makes games to make games, not dollar signs.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Clive Howlitzer said:
Don't taunt me that it releases on PC on March 11th. I am fairly certain that version is delayed.
Yeah, 11-4 is titanfall.

(Captcha: Describe the following brands: Domninos. Me: Nom. Capcha: Hmmkay.)

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Considering they are bringing up DLC when the main game has almost gone gold, I'm totally cool with this. Most likely it means they didn't hold back parts of the game for dlc purposes. Personally, I hope any DLC is content cut due to time restrictions that gets restored, much like how AotA was ideas that they had designs for but didn't get a chance to put in the base game.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I bought the PC edition which had the DLC bundled with so I don't actually know how good the dark souls DLC was. If they're capable of makig worthwhile DLC then I'd prefer they have the opportunity to do so.