Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I predict that there will be an official news post about this by, oh, I don't know, but I could not help myself. I figure that my first topic had might as well be about something I am actually excited about. Because boy, am I unreasonably hyped. Mostly because the new content and graphical updates are apparently free.

So, what do you think?

Do you think the new graphics will be up to par with the original alpha graphics? Are you excited about there being new lore? The apparent balance changes (hoping for a Soul Memory rework myself)? Will you be too busy with Bloodborne to care? Did I jump the shark when I created this topic?

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Shouldn't they be fixing this game instead of making another DLC? It's still broken, and I read that with every patch it's worse, mainly balance-wise.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
ninja666 said:
Shouldn't they be fixing this game instead of making another DLC? It's still broken, and I read that with every patch it's worse, mainly balance-wise.
Depends on what you think needs fixing, I guess. Balance has always been pretty wonky in these games. I do imagine they'll be fixing some things though; matchmaking, for one.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Mahorfeus said:
ninja666 said:
Depends on what you think needs fixing, I guess. Balance has always been pretty wonky in these games. I do imagine they'll be fixing some things though; matchmaking, for one.
I'm talking solely about PvE stuff. Hitboxes, for example - they are still dodgy as hell.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I. Am. Sold!

I love Dark Souls II. Just love it. Yes, it could be better, but it's still a blast for me to play and I love the lore. I was afraid that with the last Crown DLC, they were done with the game. Glad to see that's not the case. So, I wonder if we will finally find out what the King stole from the Giants.

Also, that looked like Nito. It can't be, of course, but I wonder what it was.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm honestly not interested at all. I rank 3'd all the covenants and got all the achievements, a remix of some stuff with shiner graphics isn't going to bring me back. When it was all said and done Dark Souls 2 was messy. Matchmaking is one of the worst in recent memory (I'd argue it's just as bad as GFWL was for DS1), SM is garbage, and pretty much the same 3 weapon groups have been dominant from the start with no changes. And this is just a bitter reminder that Bloodborne is around the corner and I can't play it considering I'm a PC gamer.
I also don't feel like buying the same game again just because they are essentially releasing what they should have released in the first place.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Scholar of the First Sin... I wonder if we finally gonna get a Velka (Or whatever the entity of Sin is calling itself in DkS2) themed DLC. That would be awesome.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
The way they make this addition sound it sounds like they're actually finishing the game... no I'm completely serious.

Just look at the information and details that have come out: Enemy placements look far different, possibly thought out this time (Drake on Heides, roaming exploding enemies in the Gutter), a new NPC to make the crown DLC flow more fluidly with the vanilla game and actually serve a purpose, a rebranding of item descriptions (cause lets face it, the lore in Dks2 was terrible in that it NEVER left much to the imagination/was just plain barebones), "improved multiplayer" and "balance" which is safe to assume this is all essentially one GIANT patch to hopefully fix the dreaded hitboxes in this game, the insane amount of latency that makes Dks1 look next gen, and the clearly broken weapons (150 counter damage katanas and ice rapiers anyone?). And last but not least, the possible, and hopeful, removal of Soul Memory in exchange for Dks1's superior Soul Level matchmaking.
All of this sounds like it can be done by April, a long with whatever got cut because lol time constraints again.

rant: Oh yeah, and a new invasion slot... which they promised BACK WHEN THE BETA WAS A THING. /rant

Personally i'm cautiously optimistic for this update, but since I have all the DLCs and am getting this update for free (oh, and uh... Bloodborne...), interested in the possible changes coming is all I'll be...
pls bring the E3 lighting back...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
JagermanXcell said:
Personally i'm cautiously optimistic for this update, but since I have all the DLCs and am getting this update for free (oh, and uh... Bloodborne...), interested in the possible changes coming is all I'll be...
pls bring the E3 lighting back...
It's not all actually free, parts of it is free, the rest purchased (as far as we know) through....well basically repurchasing the game.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
ninja666 said:
Mahorfeus said:
ninja666 said:
I'm talking solely about PvE stuff. Hitboxes, for example - they are still dodgy as hell.
The hitbox problem gets blown out of proportion. They are fine for the most part. The real problem is the lack of i-frames at low adp levels. Especially when you are used to rolling through attacks from the earlier games. Combined with the absurd levels of endurance of some enemies.

That said, I can't get myself to pick up the game again. And every time I look at bloodborne I need to yawn. I think I may finally be soul'd out.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
Hmm, just so I understand things right:

Existing Dark Souls 2 game owners get minor updates to item descriptions and parameters as well as improved matchmaking with the promise of new NPCs.

The new Scholar of the First Sin version of the game goes on sale which for existing platforms includes the released DLC and the above.

The new PS4 and XB1 versions (and what looks like PCs on DirectX 11) in addition receive graphical and sound updates, and 6 player multiplayer.

Source:
http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/103526088996/were-very-excited-to-announce-dark-souls-ii

I guess my interest would depend on the NPCs, I won't be buying a new version of the game. I agree that some things felt 'missing' from Dark Souls 2 particulary in the manor. I always felt that something should have been going on there, or below it of more interest.

Personally, to the contrary of some opinions, I hope they don't replace soul memory with the soul level of Dark Souls 1 but adjust level ranges, or hybridise it with soul level so that that replaces it once you hit a certain amount. I remember in the first Dark Souls getting griefed in Undead Burg as a new player vs guys with end-of-game equipment built for PVP and it certainly was not fun. I understand people are having problems with soul memory but I think a flat replacement using soul level will equally cause problems seeing as how you cannot avoid invasions in Dark Souls 2, unlike the hollow form in Dark Souls 1.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
joest01 said:
ninja666 said:
Mahorfeus said:
ninja666 said:
The hitbox problem gets blown out of proportion. They are fine for the most part.
I don't know. With my pyro character I find great combustion next to useless on bosses because it never seems to connect. And don't even get me started on my vanquisher's seal fisticuffs character. Trying to take large enemeies on with bare fists? Not happening.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I have the game on PC, but I barely played it. Maybe this will reinvigorate my interest in it. It's the only game that makes me want to like it so much. It looks like something I should enjoy immensely. It has all the pieces that make a game great. It's killing me that I don't enjoy it.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I don't consider this a dlc as much as a massive patchchange, kind of like when they debunked the whole healing in arena garbage or toning down the armor and damage of certain game-breaking items.

Still, 6 player slots in a world seems very interesting, hopefully all 5 of them can be invaders; would make for interesting 3v3 matches. Tag teaming in this game is so much fun after all.

raeior

Oct 18, 2013
I'm quite interested in this. I enjoyed both DS1 and 2 a lot. Although let's see first how much they want for the DX11 version.
As to the hitbox discussion: I didn't have many problems with this in DS2. Seemed a lot worse in DS1 to me, especially with Ceaseless Discharge.

Also I agree with Mimic on the soul memory issue. My DS1 online experience ended after several invasions of level 1 chars with a burning great scythe of instant destruction in Undead Burg. Played offline ever since and never regretted it. Had a far better online experience in DS2, where most invaders where more or less beatable because they weren't completely overequipped. So going back to soul level would be a step in the wrong direction.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
To all the delusional fanboys telling themselves, and other people, this game has no hitbox problems, I present, yet again, this [http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/264t6s/the_actual_truth_about_hitboxes] Reddit thread full of gifs and videos proving that this game is basically broken when it comes to hit detection and is in a desperate need of fixing, and just because they were lucky not to have it happen doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
ninja666 said:
To all the delusional fanboys telling themselves, and other people, this game has no hitbox problems, I present, yet again, this [http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/264t6s/the_actual_truth_about_hitboxes] Reddit thread full of gifs and videos proving that this game is basically broken when it comes to hit detection and is in a desperate need of fixing, and just because they were lucky not to have it happen doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I took the time to look at a bunch of those and frankly I don't see the problem in half of them. e.g. the smelter demons attack simply has incredible reach and you are not safe camping behind him like you do with Vendrick.

Also the fanboy line is inflammatory and uncalled for. Most folks I meet playing these games (which I currently don't btw) are very much on the level and sometimes even a little overly critical.

As for me, as soon as ADP reaches a decent level, you roll through most of those attacks. Problem solved.