Dark Souls II Ships Over One Million Units on PS3 and Xbox 360

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Dark Souls II Ships Over One Million Units on PS3 and Xbox 360

Namco Bandai has revealed its financials report for the fiscal year and sales are up 4.2%, with Dark Souls II moving over one million units just on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Publisher Namco Bandai has revealed its financial earnings report for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, where the publisher declared a profit of 25 billion yen profit (approximately $245 million). Most notable and the biggest moneymaker for the company was From Software's Dark Souls II, which the publisher has revealed has now shipped 1.2 million units to date in North America and Europe -- and this is just counting the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

As for Namco's other games, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z has shipped 620,000 units, PS Vita title God Eater 2 has moved 700,000 copies in Japan, PS3 fighting game Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle shifted 550,000 in Japan, and 3DS title Disney Magic Castle My Happy Life shipped 500,000 units, again in Japan. Overall Namco Bandai generated 507 billion yen, with the aforementioned 2.9 billion yen profit. Sales were up 4.2% compared to the previous year, but profit was down at 22.6%

If you've yet to play the action-RPG,different ways you can die in the game, which is oddly enough, one of the game's selling points. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11097-Dark-Souls-II-Review-Dark-Souls-Refined.2]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-08-dark-souls-2-shifts-over-1m]

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
This is good news. In a world where most big name games ship 5 or 6 million and are a failure, DS2 shipping a million and being a huge profit for the devs and publisher is a sign of how to make a game.

Whether you like DS2 or not, it's good to see a title so fundamentally different from everything else succeeding.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Just finished it last week, 6 weeks and 80 hours for my first game. Finally cracked and looked at a wiki after to see how much I missed. Not to bad considering.

Great game although I'm not sure I'm up for NG+ yet.

I always seem to get invaded just as I broke a weapon or used my last Estus :(

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Didn't Dark souls 1 sell two million? Or was that 2 years after release? Still seems surprisingly low considering how popular the game seems to be, but that's probably because the above user said about AAA games being called failures at 5 million.

Still, if Namco are calling this a success then that's great news, I might have had my fair share of problems with Dark souls 2 but I sure as hell didn't want the game to fail. Looking forward to DLC.
Also good to see DBZ selling a decent amount, now, if they started putting in some god damn effort into the game I might start buying the series again.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I'm glad it's doing pretty well, despite it's flaws it's still a really great game.
It'll be interesting to know how well it's doing on PC. It's still in the top ten on Steam.

Burchy22 said:
Didn't Dark souls 1 sell two million? Or was that 2 years after release?
Yeah, I think it was about 2 years after, the Artorias edition was counted within that along with PC.
About 1.67 million were sold of the original release at the time of the announcement so DS2 has caught up pretty fast already.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I think I'm living in a crazy world when people start saying 1 million sold is better than any number higher than 1 million, truly crazy times we live in.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I think I'm living in a crazy world when people start saying 1 million sold is better than any number higher than 1 million, truly crazy times we live in.
... Zuh?

This is all contextual: Namco/From didn't spend that much on development, so it's a profit. I'm confused here.

OT:
Good to hear it's doing well, although I'm curious what it means in the case of expectations with the recent acquisition of From.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Glad to see that Dark Souls is still having realistic expectations. It really is mind blowing to see how they've sold one million units and that it's causing the overall profit margins to go up, while Destiny is gonna need fifteen million to break even.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I had fun with the game. Got the Platinum and everything about a week and a half ago. Summoning works so much better in this version, and I love being able to heal my phantom with my own flask.

So, now we need some sort of DLC. There has to be some DLC being thought about, or maybe even being worked on, if only for that fact that the credits list a character who isn't even in the game. Perhaps restored content further down the road, yes?

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
Whats that? Smart budgeting and not spending insane amounts of money of your game and expecting it to sell ridiculous amounts has proven an effective strategy again?! What sort of crazy world do we live in eh?

In all seriousness well done to FROM and Namco and I hope the PC version sells just as many.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
I had fun with the game. Got the Platinum and everything about a week and a half ago. Summoning works so much better in this version, and I love being able to heal my phantom with my own flask.

So, now we need some sort of DLC. There has to be some DLC being thought about, or maybe even being worked on, if only for that fact that the credits list a character who isn't even in the game. Perhaps restored content further down the road, yes?
I'm sure that there will be DLC somewhere down the line. At least, I hope so.

Is the character you're referring to Shanalotte (child)?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I'm sure that there will be DLC somewhere down the line. At least, I hope so.

Is the character you're referring to Shanalotte (child)?
Sure is. Seems a waste to have a whole character cut from the game completely. I mean, Priscilla had her role majorly cut in the first game, but she wasn't completely removed.