Dark Souls III PC Anti-Cheat Patch Rolled Back Due to Game Freeze Issues

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Dark Souls III PC Anti-Cheat Patch Rolled Back Due to Game Freeze Issues

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1322/1322018.jpgThe Dark Souls 3 PC patch that was intended to prevent players from exploiting anti-cheat measures has been removed, but will return soon.

From Software rolled out a patch to the PC version of Dark Souls 3 on Friday that was intended to address an exploit being used by some players in multiplayer. In short, exploiting players would join a user's game, leave a hacked item, and when the targeted player picked it up and saved, their account would be flagged as hacked. There was even a player livestreaming himself getting people banned.

Friday's patch may have fixed these issues, but it also created a new one: game freezes. As you can see in this thread on the Steam forums [http://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119105944783/], a number of users reported the issue over the weekend, and this morning, From Software responded by pulling the patch. In a statement added to the official post, a representative said,

"The patch has been removed temporarily to fix the freeze issues. We hope to reinstate the patch ASAP. If you fall victim to one of the bugs previously fixed, don't worry, you won't be penalized. We will keep you posted as soon as we have more info. Thank you for your understanding."

While it's not good that the patch went awry, it's nice to see From Software acknowledge that they're not going to resort to banning people who are victimized while the patch is being updated. Between these exploits and the crash issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167148-Dark-Souls-3-PC-Crash-Issues] it faced around its release, the PC version of Dark Souls 3 is having a rough go of it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Guess it's a good thing I am taking a break from the game. I'll give it another few weeks to iron out the wrinkles before I return to 100% the game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I guess its good that I want to play and beat Dark Souls 2 first and have been putting off getting too far in 3.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Oh, good! I was getting these mini-freezes as well, and a quick google search showed me it was from the latest patch. Nice to see From responding so quickly. That's definitely a step-up from their previous PC support.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
And this is why I'm waiting on a complete edition of the game due to all the kinks they didn't iron out when they should have. Like Poise being utterly useless for example.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Aiddon said:
And this is why I'm waiting on a complete edition of the game due to all the kinks they didn't iron out when they should have. Like Poise being utterly useless for example.
They have said that poise is working as intended. So don't expect them to fix it. It's basically like that weapon degradation in Dark Souls II running at 60 fps on the PS4. So yeah, afraid you're out of luck there.

So, to be clear, this guy was filming himself ruining other people's games because it was funny? Some people need to just be removed from humanity.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
This is why I never buy games on release day (or in case of Bandai PC games, on release year).

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Just to clarify, the cheat wasn't about "leaving hacked items" it was something that allowed them to alter a persons character by HITTING them in pvp.

One who invaded me (appropriately called "Godmaker") were also invisible and capable of teleporting (it seemed) as I was hit within moments of the "Dark Spirit Godmaker has invaded" message appeared and my health and shit doubled. I alt+f4'd out immediately and luckily it didn't save, but I probably got pretty lucky there...

Hopefully they fix this soon, cause having to hover my fingers over the alt+f4 buttons every time I get invaded isn't very fun (especially for someone who enjoys dark souls pvp...)

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Ah, so it might not have been my shitty PC causing the stutters? Good to hear. Those gave me a few heart attacks.

EDIT: Oh, there is no warning put back on my account. Fantastic. I just have to play solo.

RejjeN said:
Hopefully they fix this soon, cause having to hover my fingers over the alt+f4 buttons every time I get invaded isn't very fun (especially for someone who enjoys dark souls pvp...)
I wouldn't make a habit of it. Apparently there is a form of ban if you repeatedly drop out of multiplayer (due to unstable WiFi or frame rate, crashes, force-quitting, etc). Not permanent, but is only removed with a finite item (Way of White Circlet) that only spawns in once in a blue moon after use. When you're caught by it, you can't connect via co-op either.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And they still havent fixed the anticheat not to catch legitimate customers? ok then.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
It's actually frightening that this patch managed to make it through their QA process as the stuttering happened very frequently (every couple minutes) regardless of what you were doing in game and independent of the quality of your hardware. Now FROM, if you could instead focus your attention on the freezes and load screen hangs that were never completely resolved since the original release, that would be swell.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Raggedstar said:
Ah, so it might not have been my shitty PC causing the stutters? Good to hear. Those gave me a few heart attacks.

EDIT: Oh, there is no warning put back on my account. Fantastic. I just have to play solo.

RejjeN said:
I wouldn't make a habit of it. Apparently there is a form of ban if you repeatedly drop out of multiplayer (due to unstable WiFi or frame rate, crashes, force-quitting, etc). Not permanent, but is only removed with a finite item (Way of White Circlet) that only spawns in once in a blue moon after use. When you're caught by it, you can't connect via co-op either.
As opposed to being banned PERMANENTLY because someone else fucked up my character you mean? No thanks. (I don't alt+f4 every time I get invaded, I relish invasions. I just need to make sure it doesn't save my stats if I get hit by a "hacker").