Dark Souls' madafakin' Capra Demon

Caedus

Aug 29, 2010
So I've finished Blighttown, couldn't beat the Hydra in the Ash Lake so went back up to Sen's Fortress and got my ass kicked too many times to count. I read a bit online about my backstabbing/counter class and came up with the conclusion that I was playing a hard game with a hard class. Yep, that's right. You want Hardcore mode on Dark Souls? Play a thief!

I decided to reroll a tank. After 3 hours of gameplay, I killed the Gaping Dragon (damn, who comes up with those monster design? This thing is horribly ugly!). So yeah, thief sucks.

Sombra Negra

Nov 4, 2008
thief is good if you want to take one of the other starting gifts along with the master key (which is the best one, imo). the class you pick at the start is essentially irrelevant, a knight can dodge as well as a thief if you strip down his armour and weapons a bit. what i suggest you do is pick a weapon you really like and build solely around that - level your strength up enough to one hand wield it then ignore all of your other stats barring endurance and vitality, since points in anything else are essentially worthless if you only use one or two weapons of a similar class. SL120 is generally the 'cutoff' point for levelling (i think, unless the meta has changed) for pvp, and frankly it shouldn't be necessary after that point anyway. as peeps have said, equipment > level, and skill > all. there are naked sl1 playthroughs on youtube, if i am not mistaken, so with enough leet skillz you can overcome anything.

and if you have a shield, dear god walk everywhere with it raised. drop it in combat between hits that you take or rolls though, as this lets your stamina regenerate far, far faster than if you kept it up all the time. once you get a feel for enemies' natural rhythms, you know roughly when it's safe to drop the shield and catch your breath. and don't try to parry anything twice as long as you are, it probably won't work.

i most recently beat him as thief with an estoc you can find very close to firelink shrine, just poking him from behind a shield. took me 2 or 3 goes i think. first playthrough i was hyper over-levelled so i killed him really quickly with a zweihander.

upgrayedd

Sep 2, 2012
His freaking Dogs killed me more then him. Once you eliminate dogs its just running up and off stairs and hitting him at every oppotunity, He's not that tough

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
A tanky character will have more luck with Capra Demon than any other will.

The main thing that needs to be done straight away, is kill those dogs. If you don't they'll stunlock you, poison you, and then Capra will come and one shot you. A good idea would be to go and grab the Elite Knight armor from Darkroot Garden and Havel's Ring from underneath the tower you went up to find the Taurus Demon. With these items you can take a few hits from dogs without getting stunned and you can still move fairly quickly.

Just plough into the dogs and attack them as quickly as possible. Use a 100% physical block shield too, like the Knight's Shield or whatever, and just attack when you know you can kill the dogs in one or two hits. Once the dogs are dead you can run up the staircase if you need to heal.

Capra Demon only has a few attacks - a standard swiping 3 hit combo, a leaping attack, and a two-handed swing. You can block the swipes and the leap is easy to dodge, but if you see him building up for a two-handed swing you should back off. If you block it it'll pound you into the dirt and deal a lot of damage and if you don't, it'll probably kill you.

Just be careful, wait for him to make an attack before you counter, and use that staircase to heal when you're low.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Yeah of course at first I tended to die there a lot (stupid dogs!), but with my later builds I rarly did, because the demon itself is rather easy if you manage to kill of his puppies and stay calm. I remember that I once forgot about him and visited him quite late in the game. It was really refreshing not to get one-shooted by him, but to one-shot him instead ^^ (I think it was with the Man-Serpent-Sword +15, one of the best weapons in the whole game imo).

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
Caedus said:
So I've finished Blighttown, couldn't beat the Hydra in the Ash Lake so went back up to Sen's Fortress and got my ass kicked too many times to count. I read a bit online about my backstabbing/counter class and came up with the conclusion that I was playing a hard game with a hard class. Yep, that's right. You want Hardcore mode on Dark Souls? Play a thief!

I decided to reroll a tank. After 3 hours of gameplay, I killed the Gaping Dragon (damn, who comes up with those monster design? This thing is horribly ugly!). So yeah, thief sucks.
I'm playing a thief with the winged spear and astora's straight sword. Just because you start with a tiny little shield and a dagger doesn't mean you gotta use it. The thief's faith and dex are both pretty high - Join up with the Warriors of the Sun, do some jolly co-operation, and throw some magic fire sun lightning spears at people.

--
I finally ran into a boss that my endurance-focused Zweihander meatman can't handle, and that's Dark Sun Gwyndolin. GET BACK HERE YOU. Even with the best magic defense shield in the game I can't seem to beat him :(

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
The first few seconds are chaos where you can die no matter how good you are but yeah, like everyone says, dogs first then demon.

It's kind of funny how there's a section later on with a whole bunch of Capra demons that are just normal enemies.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Caedus said:
So in the end I managed to kill him with the help of a fellow player I summoned. Felt great to look at this fucker disappear into thin air.

I'm still fairly new to the Dark Souls universe so I didn't know leveling wasn't as important as upgrading gear. I'll look into it asap.
Make sure to always be human and I will come and give you hugs with my Darkwraith :3

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Third try on my first game, its actually one of my favorite fights in the early game once you know what to do. The only real problem is that you don't get a look into the arena before fighting him, so you have to react fast to stand a chance on your first try. Basic strategy for me (and I think for other people in this thread) is to kill the dogs and make it up the stairs, if you go up there and along the arch he has trouble reaching you giving you a place to heal, and perform plunging attacks if you want. From there its not that difficult to duel him on foot, his attacks are well telegraphed and if you have a good shield you can probably block most of them.

Edit: for the record my first game was with a claymore, a heater shield, and the wander armor set, none of which was upgraded.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Suave Charlie said:
Just want to jump in; how much of a time sink is this game?
Been really looking into it because it looks brilliant to be honest, but I'm curious about how much bang I'll get for my buck?

And also is it the sort of game that's best in marathon stretches or little and often?
As a time sink, I have 80 or so hours put in to my two playthroughs. I am working on a third now, but they get faster the more you know. As far as bang for your buck, at this point the game is so cheap you will get an amazing bang for your buck as you put it. Few games managed to entertain me as much as this one did, as far as new releases anyway.

As for your final question. I find it is best to do the puzzle areas and bosses in marathon stretches, but you can do the rest of the game in bite size chunks if you prefer. I also recommend that if you get stuck on a boss for more than 5 tries, log off the game and come back to it in a day or so. I don't know if it is mental fatigue or if it is related to the fact that you build neural pathways in your sleep, but it tends to help me win on the extra hard bosses.

The most important thing if you are looking for a game that will entertain you for hours on end is, do not read any guides on your first playthrough. I would even suggest second playthrough, as I found out that I missed quite a bit on my first playthrough. Once you have gained the knowledge on how to do something, the thrill of discovery or accomplishment is gone forever.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Caedus said:

Now im wondering how you were fighting the hydra :p Best thing to do is get into its melee range and stay there until he attacks, then just chop off heads. You can keep him melee attacking by standing at the edge of the water drop.

A big bit of advice here though, classes really dont matter. All it does it set you up a semi-tailored class for early levels to help you out. I dont think I ever pick anything but pyromancer anymore because he starts at lvl 1.

Also, if you want to do a dex build, the big items to look at are the Iaito and washing poll. Oh, and also, get the heater shield from the male undead merchant in the undead Parish. Its the lightest 100% physical shield to get. Just... please dont go online with those and a bunch of stamina regen, because there are to many dime a dozen blitzkrieg bleeders in online.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
lRookiel said:
Caedus said:
So in the end I managed to kill him with the help of a fellow player I summoned. Felt great to look at this fucker disappear into thin air.

I'm still fairly new to the Dark Souls universe so I didn't know leveling wasn't as important as upgrading gear. I'll look into it asap.
Make sure to always be human and I will come and give you hugs with my Darkwraith :3
Bad Rookie! You put that red eye orb down! Noooo.... Dont you use it!

Did you just flash me your dark hand? OH HELL NO.

...I still need to make my low level dark wraith archer idea.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i dont mean to make you feel bad but i beat him on the first try. i didnt realize he was a boss that people considered particularly challenging. with the drake sword, the dogs die in a hit or two and then its just a matter of baiting him to attack and then sneaking in a few swings.

really the only hard boss for me was ornstein and smough. by far the hardest part of the game for me was the archers in anor londo. i know the trick to get past them, but it doesnt always work. ive heard people say 4 kings were tough, but they take absolutely no strategy. put on your heaviest armor, trudge over to them, and just mash the attack button until theyre all dead. lord gwyn was also easy if you have a halfway decent endurance. you can block all his attacks and even if you have low endurance, his attacks can be parried.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I sat here being all '..Which one is the Capra demon....'

Due to the fact you beat him to gain access to the depths? I dont remember specifically. All I remember is that I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever gone back to quelag via the depths. I always go via the dragon pathway through the backdoor in my new games.

because fuck that village of wooden houses on stilts. Forever.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
I beat him on the first try, although I did know he was coming, as I'd watched Geop's blind LP of Dark Souls up to Blight Town (at that point I bought the game and didn't watch more until I'd finished). The Bell Gargoyles were my only massive stumbling block in Dark Souls - but what an obstacle they were. I died to them 40-50 times (never did lose my soul bounty, though).

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Caedus said:
So fellow Escapee, how long were you stuck on this overgrown goat?

I've been trying to kill him for 2 hours and can't seem to get him. I'm playing a SL 27 thief and he owns me everytime.

I think it's bound to be the worst and cheapest boss in gaming history due to the two chihuahuas, the small arena and the dumb camera angles.

After how many tries did you manage to down him?
Do you have a bow?
Just head up the stairs, jump on the ledge to the right at the end and go as far on the ledge to the right as you can.
Neither the dogs nor the demon can hit you there.
Then just unleash arrow after arrow.

Rocketmagnet

Apr 22, 2013
I think Greyah sums up a key factor in what's great about DS... non linearity. Part of the reason i'm still playing new character builds today.

Capra demon is a tough fight on your first few tries, especially if you've no idea what's coming and everyone above has listed the usual strategies for killing it.

I personally think the Ornstein & Smough is the most organic fight and hence fun. Killing Ornstein first is the easiest approach as super Ornstein is much tougher due to a couple of nasty attacks. I never call anyone to help or NPCs as its cheating imo ;P, but if your truly stuck then fair enough.

Boss mob that took me the longest with many many deaths was the Stray Asylum Demon especially at low SL as the fall nearly kills you.

Four kings is pretty easy with high DPS so best option is Stamina gear for melee (Child Mask, Grass Shield, Clothrany Ring and the consumable green herb buff.. they stack). And no you cant take off the Abyss Walker ring once you enter.. I tried, worth doing just to see what happens :).

Anor Londo archers are easy risk free kills from very long range with a bow and poison arrows, Aim high and fire 3 arrows in succession to ensure you land the poison.. then dive out of the way of the incoming :p the go make a coffee while they die to the poison.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Alright OP, I'll give you the perfect rundown on how to kill this ************. The first 12 or so seconds of the fight will determine how well you do.

1. Wait for the Capra Demon to make his first attack, and dodge it. Remember that dodging too early will only lead to his attack following and killing you. Wait for it to be in the middle of his attack and then dodge.

2. Whatever you do make it to the stairs. Once there, wait for the dogs to rush you. As the demon moves slowly, usually the dogs will reach you first.

3. KILL THE DOGS. Even killing just one will vastly improve your chances.

4. As the demon comes up the stairs, run off the ledge to the corner with the tree below you. Don't stay here, as if the any dog is still alive they will gangbang in in the corner and pee on your corpse.

5. Keep playing this ringaround with the stairs until all the dogs are dead and then it is a simple matter of dealing one on one with Mr. Demon himself.

6. The attack where he puts both blades in his hands cannot be blocked, same with his jump attack. Focus on dodging these moves.

7. He's weak to fire! Get some fireballs from laurentius or fire resin from the fremale undead merchant in tunnel.

Thank you and this has been a Hannibal942 Guide to Slaying that Motherfucking Capra Demon.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i killed almost all of them in one try. very easy to kill for the most part. the only ones that i found really hard to kill was the one's in Sen's Fortress because there are so many of them and you can barely move on the tar. That area was just plain out cheap. I actually got lucky and killed the first 2 with no problem and some how couldn't kill the other two in the other room. Not until i got towards the end of the game did i come back and finish those guys off.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Four times I think. First time was "Ok, here I go!" Ax to the face like most people. Second was getting the layout of the room. Third was getting rid of the dogs and learning his attack patterns, fourth was using that information and beating him.

The worst was Ornstein and Smough. Sixteen tries.