Dark Souls Originally Named With Juvenile, Racist Slang

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Dark ring means anus, i've never heard that before. Were did this information come from? Just call it Dark Race and shove the controversy up the dark ring of anyone who complains.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Never heard of Dark Ring meaning anus to be honest, but in the areas that it is slang for it, the conversations would of been hilarious. Immature, but hilarious.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
in England "dark ring" is also slang for "anus,"
uhh....no it's not. Honest. I've been here all my life. "Brown Eye" possibly. "Juvenile, Racist Slang" is going a bit far as well.
You know, I looked it up too and couldn't find it! I took the translation's word for it. Maybe From was given bad information, or they came up with the association themselves?
The word "Ring" often is used, as a derivation of "ringpiece" (The Anus), but it's used as a quite neutral tone.
Ringhole also works but that's more common in Australia... along with 'date', 'clacker', 'freckle' and the list goes on. This is part of the reason some people think Aussies are so friendly... we've repurposed so many common words to have secondary rude meanings that we're trying not to piss ourselves laughing when a tourist says the simplest things.

If you use it in racial context though, it's usually something that could be a ring - and Dark is hardly ever used in racial language. It'd be far more likely to be "Black (ring-shaped)"
I suppose if they want to sound old, quaint and racist they could go with 'Darkie'.

demalo

Aug 16, 2011
So the subsequent 'sequels' should be Death Souls and/or Dead Souls. From should start working on their anti hero 'sequel' instead of the world being dead and having to survive the character should be evil and trying to corrupt the game world - destroying the good guys.