Dark Souls PC port to use GFWL

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Adam Jensen said:
GFWL somehow manages to delete or corrupt my save files in most games. It happened with Fallout 3, Gears of War and Arkham Asylum. Luckily I had no problems with Arkham City. Let's hope it doesn't happen with Dark Souls. I'd be pissed.

But it's fitting in a way. A punishing game uses a punishing system as GFWL. It is the ultimate final boss.
LOL! The biggest battle happens before you start playing... Getting GFWL to work properly!

By the way guys, why I came here again: I heard theres some xbox-->PC tools Microsoft give out to studios that use GFWL? If so, thats a little worrying. I really do not want a shoddy, 30 FPS, buggy half arsed port.
I think it's generally safe to assume if they're adding new bosses and content they'll probably take the time to do a proper port (graphics options, control mapping, etc.).

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
qeinar said:
Since i learned they decided to put this on gfwl i've just been baffled by the stupidity of that choice. I have tryed to use gfwl a couple times in the past, leaving me to just abandon it and rather pirate the game i already bought on gfwl because that shit is so horrible. I really hope namco comes to their senses. Would be funny if we could get the petition more votes than the other petition for getting it on the pc.

Forgot to mention that trying to get the game on launch will be close to impossible since gfwl servers are shit and probably only a lucky 3-4 people will manange to get it before everything crashes.
I'm kinda pissed its not coming to Steam. I mean, I dont really give a crap about the whole social side of things, and Steam as an application is far from perfect, but its the easiest way for me to purchase games digitally.

I hope one can get a physical copy somewhere. I dont want to have a game tied to GFWL and only GFWL in the way that games you purchase on Steam are binded to the service.
Even if you can get a physical copy it'll still require the use of GFWL which will always be a problem. Hell, if it came out on Steam it'd still require GFWL because its just that infectious.

Someone earlier was right. GFWL isn't a cancer, its syphilis.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
GFWL somehow manages to delete or corrupt my save files in most games. It happened with Fallout 3, Gears of War and Arkham Asylum. Luckily I had no problems with Arkham City. Let's hope it doesn't happen with Dark Souls. I'd be pissed.

But it's fitting in a way. A punishing game uses a punishing system as GFWL. It is the ultimate final boss.
I can't help but grin at all this rage.

Welcome to Dark Souls, it kicks you in the face before you even pick up a controller. Or mouse I suppose.

But on a more serious note, here's hoping they fix it and all that.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Even if you can get a physical copy it'll still require the use of GFWL which will always be a problem. Hell, if it came out on Steam it'd still require GFWL because its just that infectious.

Someone earlier was right. GFWL isn't a cancer, its syphilis.
I know you will still have to use GFWL.

What I mean is, I dont want to have a GFWL account with Dark Souls, and I can ONLY download the game through that service. If I can install it from a CD, thats a plus. But downloading it from GFWL every time I want to reinstall it? Absolute nightmare.

If push comes to shove and GFWL goes completely tits up, which is almost likely, I can always use that GFWL disabler and play without online. But I cant do that if GFWL is the only way to access the install files.

AC10 said:
Adam Jensen said:

LOL! The biggest battle happens before you start playing... Getting GFWL to work properly!

By the way guys, why I came here again: I heard theres some xbox-->PC tools Microsoft give out to studios that use GFWL? If so, thats a little worrying. I really do not want a shoddy, 30 FPS, buggy half arsed port.
I think it's generally safe to assume if they're adding new bosses and content they'll probably take the time to do a proper port (graphics options, control mapping, etc.).
The PC port of LA Noire had new content and it was terrible. (LOLOLOL LOCKED YOUR FRAMES AT 30 BECAUSE FUCK I DUNNO!) This new content is probably coming to xbox too, so they can just develop for that first and port it over.

Im not saying the port will definitely suck, im just saying I hope it wont.
Yeah, I really hope it's a good port too. I would honestly rather the game come out in December if it means it ensures it's a good port.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Ugh. I remember buying the PC version of GTA4 through Steam and being annoyed as hell that on top of running Steam I had to set up a GFWL account or I wouldn't be able to save games. And AFTER that I still couldn't do any multiplayer without signing up for a frickin "Social Club" account on top of my Steam account and my GFWL account.

Whatever happened to just installing a game and playing it?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
AC10 said:
Adam Jensen said:

They're using games for Windows live.... it's already a shoddy port...<.<

Ot: I've had enough problems with trying to play GTA4... ended up just abandoning the game... so looks like I'm not getting the game now... and having to download it and than crack it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... but it would have to be done if I get the game...

targren

May 13, 2009
XMark said:
Whatever happened to just installing a game and playing it?
Shut up. It doesn't matter that you actually bought the game. You are a filthy, no-good, software pirating scumbag and you will sit down, be quiet, and ask the publishers for permission every time you want to play the games you rented, like a good little serf, while they laugh at you and count your their money.

And the actual pirates are going to laugh at you, too, since they don't actually have to deal with that crap.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Steve the Pocket said:
Huh. I guess the rumors that GFWL was going to be shut down soon weren't true after all. Pity. I was kind of looking forward to watching publishers scramble to keep their games working.

SajuukKhar said:
Yes, but what would you rather have: buggy games or your computer being part of a botnet?
Well since I already use Steam, whic monitors all the shit I do while playing Steam games anyways.

i would want neither personally.
I don't think you understand. Origin doesn't just monitor stuff; it actually uses your CPU and connection to run spambots and shit. Somebody caught it making fake accounts in support of a pro-EA petition.

Also Steam doesn't monitor anything besides your gaming habits. Where did you get that idea?
Citation needed. Seriously needed. Who is somebody? What's the proof?

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Its an assumption. One with backing, though.

There was recently these petition supporting EA in their "fight" against that one group that wanted them to ditch the gay sex in Bioware games. EA, who could use a little PR, jumped on it, and immediately began spamming the petition with what appeared to be a botnet. Its rather obvious the signatures were generated (if you dont believe me just ask Mark from North Korea who stated his affection for alien dick in the exact same way Roland from Poland did), the question is, where did they get the zombie PCs from?

And thats where Origin comes into play. They actually covered this in the EULA (they reserve the right to delete or add files to your hard drive, use your PC, etc) so the assumption that EA used Origin to generate signatures is not a ridiculous one.

Of course theres no proof, and the whole "theory" could be a load of tosh, we will probably never know for sure. But it doesnt seem that far fetched to me, and I certainly wouldnt put it past EA to do something like this.
Well, it was just that you stated that somebody caught it doing it. That's quite different from assuming it. I'm well aware of the kerfluffle over that gay poll thing, but I'm honestly not even convinced it's EA doing the spamming. Considering how obvious it is, my money is on someone out to paint EA in a bad way. Several groups might be interested in that. In fact the only party who stands to win nothing by spamming the poll is EA.

Now, just to make things clear, I think EA in the recent year or two has been on an anti consumer rampage and it's getting way screwed up. But it's a far leap from that to claiming that they run a bot net to spam a pretty unimportant poll.

Either that or they are more incompetent than they have any right to be.

Enverex

Oct 6, 2010
Hazy992 said:
Why don't people like GFWL? I'm not trying to be a troll or anything, I'm just not a PC gamer so I have no experience with it. Why do people hate it so much?
I actually raged at GFWL yesterday, simply because GTA4 wouldn't let me save before creating an account and logging in. Multiplayer? Nope, just trying to play single player. If I was the developer, I would be asking them "Why would our players want to go through this needless hassle?". It's not even optional, you HAVE to do it to save.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Ha, that petition is a joke.

I couldn't help but notice that the petition was started by Big Mclargehuge, which I strongly suspect is a made up name.

I doesn't help the credibility of your cause when even the petition starter can't take it seriously enough not to use a joke name.

I'd laugh if the petition got enough signatures for Namco-Bandai to reconsider using GFWL but, despite their repeated attempts and best efforts to contact Mr Mclargehuge, they couldn't find any person on the planet matching that name, so with the release date looming they had to abandon the petition's suggestion and go with their original plan.

Seriously, if the very first signature on a petition is obviously false, then how do you expect anyone to believe that any of the other signatures belong to real people?

The entire point and credibility of the petition was undermined from the very beginning by it's creator, it doesn't matter how many (now meaningless) signatures this invalid petition gets.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Jamash said:
Ha, that petition is a joke.

I couldn't help but notice that the petition was started by Big Mclargehuge, which I strongly suspect is a made up name.

I doesn't help the credibility of your cause when even the petition starter can't take it seriously enough not to use a joke name.

I'd laugh if the petition got enough signatures for Namco-Bandai to reconsider using GFWL but, despite their repeated attempts and best efforts to contact Mr Mclargehuge, they couldn't find any person on the planet matching that name, so with the release date looming they had to abandon the petition's suggestion and go with their original plan.

Seriously, if the very first signature on a petition is obviously false, then how do you expect anyone to believe that any of the other signatures belong to real people?

The entire point and credibility of the petition was undermined from the very beginning by it's creator, it doesn't matter how many (now meaningless) signatures this invalid petition gets.
I actually find that hilarious now that you pointed it out. Also I just saw one of the signatures, David Davidson. Ok you are probably right on some of the signatures being fake. I can say I signed it with my own name honestly and that I really do want GFWL removed but I can only speak for myself.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
I've had A LOT of trouble with GFWL(GTA 4........) but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker, if I just want to play the game badly enough. Still I'm really annoyed of the decision and hoping that they don't do it.

Captcha: see red. Well I kinda am right now since I want it to work on PC.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
do people even use GFWL? the only games I saw it with where bundled with other digital distributed like Rockstar social or Steam.