Dark Souls Post-Review: GotY 2011

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Sometimes, a game will be so large, complex or time consuming that standard reviews are forced into focusing on the game's basic mechanics and early experiences. The idea behind a post-review is to assume that the reader already knows the fundamentals of a game, and to skip over this in order to focus on the effect the game actually has on the player. So, without further-a-do, let me walk you through one of the best games ever created, Dark Souls.

This review contains no story related spoilers - but does discuss some lore that selective players may want to find out for themselves. There will be a warning before any such discussion.

[img_inline align="right" width="330" caption="A long way from home."]http://www.gamepur.com/files/imagepicker/48/dark_souls_ps3_box_art.jpg[/img_inline]
[HEADING=1]Dark Souls[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]Game of the Year: 2011[/HEADING]

What makes a good game? An industry analyst would make easy work of this question; he/she would tell you that constant, ever increasing rewards make a great game. After all, a brief glance at the best selling games of the past few years (Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls etc.) will confirm this to be the case. It also makes sense from a psychological perspective: people like being rewarded for their work - it makes them feel as if they've achieved something. However, while this is certainly very successful, it remains rather shallow. This system is the equivalent of being on the receiving end of a never ending narcotics drip: while it manages to avoid being dull, the effect does weaken significantly over time - especially now that so many games tend to subscribe to this philosophy. Dark Souls looks at this formula and laughs: rewards come slowly, and when they do the biggest reward is often the relief of finally completing that boss.

No, the reason Dark Souls is a good game is that it does everything it can to draw the player in. From the wonderfully responsive combat to the ridiculously detailed graphics, strong voice acting, lack of loading screens, lack of glitches/ bugs and strong music score: the game makes sure that there's nothing to throw you out the immersion. Having established this, it capatalises. The tension you feel just before facing a boss that you know, thanks to the internet, is really hard? It's more powerful than anything this generation of games offers. Despite no doubt countless hours spent perfecting the art of video-game boss battles, you are shaking through a mixture of nervousness and anticipation. Is this just because of the difficulty? Not at all, because there's no frustration there - and this feeling only intensifies when you're invaded by another player. Because it's a very lonely and oppressive world, Dark Souls, and this would not be the case if the game didn't grab you quite as firmly as it does.

Amongst this claustrophobic gloom, however, there's something quite remarkable. On your travels round your own, hostile world, you see the ghosts of other players running, fighting and resting at bonfires. Sometimes you'll see another person and both of you will stop and look at each other momentarily, before your respective specters vanish. Along with the co-op mechanic, allowing other players to be summoned for help, it's a warming reminder that you're not alone in your struggle. This "all against the world" mentality brings out the best in people: often summoned players will insist on taking point, doing all they can to make sure the host doesn't die and even going as far as to go off the beaten track and show the host where any hidden treasure is, despite not benefiting from it personally. Even when invading another players world with the intent of killing them, there's an unwritten code of ethics: wait until the host has cleared the area of enemies and healed up, stand a fair distance apart, bow and begin. It seems that a game which is supposed to bring out the worst in us (game rage), actually ends up achieving the opposite. I can't be the only one who finds that remarkable.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Oh hello, lore related stuff.

Encapsulating all of this is a story so complex and deep that, to this day, people are still debating over even the broadest of details. The most surprising thing about this is that you're hardly actually told anything by npc's or in the seldom few cutscenes scattered around the beginning of the game. Most of the information on the story is taken from a mixture of item descriptions, visual cues and, best of all, gameplay elements. What causes the darksign, which makes those afflicted with it unable to die? Well, where do you go when you die? From where does it draw its power? And thus begins a trail of reasoning which leads to an alternate ending. It's partially as a product of dying so often, and therefore exploring the world more thoroughly, that this kind of storytelling can shine. It can be passed by if you're not interested, but by simply activating your brain you stumble upon a dense web of intrigue and history, which adds more flavour to the ever desperate world of Dark Souls. Everything you encounter has some kind of backstory... nothing is placed at random.

Goodbye, lore stuff
[img_inline align="right" caption="Edward Cullen in sunlight" width="330"]http://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/4/0/7/2/4/7/6209527156_8f85835028_o.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/600x-1[/img_inline]

Often forgotten, funnily enough, is the gameplay. Despite the rather awkward jump + kick controls (only ever used in particular situations, they're mostly useless), the responsiveness is fantastic. Combat revolves around exploiting the opponent's weaknesses - and doing anything but cautious aggression in this regard will ensure the appearance of the "you died" screen. As the player progresses through the game and becomes more familiar with it, so does a concept of fluidity and flow. Timing has to be so exact, and your attacks so well placed - especially towards the end of the game - that you end up planning several moves ahead. In PvP, what may seem initially like random movements before engaging in combat, soon becomes a frenzied jostle for both the best position and to determine the opponent's mobility (both due to equipment weight and skill) and therefore weaknesses. This process happens entirely mechanically, after a while you don't even realise you're doing it; it's a testament to how intuitive the gameplay is.

Dark Souls seems to have been coined as simply "the game that you play if you want a challenge". This speaks nothing of the reality: that Dark Souls is pure indulgence on the behalf of the developers, who wanted to make a game that they thought was brilliant instead of one that pushes all the consumer buttons. For one, while some areas could have been easily cordoned off to make future, money-grabbing DLC - this hasn't been done. Refreshing, don't you think? For once, we have a game made by people who love games, for people who love games and, while it may not be absolutely perfect, it could easily rank among the best games of all time.

Am I exaggerating here? No, I'm not. Since playing Dark Souls, no other game has managed to engage me at the same level: Skyrim, Arkham City and Dead Island all appear deeply flawed in the shining light of the experiences gained from Dark Souls. No other game will have you be so entrenched that the only thing you hear is your own heart, no other game tells its own story as effectively and no other game encourages the dichotomy between isolation and companionship quite as powerfully as Dark Souls does.

A modern masterpiece: 5 stars.

Top 5 of 2011
1. Dark Souls (10/10)
2. Little Big PLanet 2 (9/10)
3. Infamous 2 (7/10)
4. Skyrim (7/10)
5. Bastion (7/10)

And yes, Dark Souls> Shadow of the Colossus. It took a lot of time for me to make that decision, but that's final.

A very well done fan trailer

How's my writing?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Hey man, good to see you :)

Your writing is about the same as ever. I've never been a fan of your writing style, but I'd like to stress that that isn't because it is bad. It just isn't my thing. I didn't do a check on grammar and spelling, but that's because I'm loaded on projects when I saw this pop up.

The only real criticism about your review I have is that there's a lack of styling in the formatting. It used to be one of your specialties.

Also, your review loses points because I want your old avatar back. But that may be a but of an unprofessional opinion. :p

Good work all in all :)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
-have to type this quote in by hand because I forgot that you need to quote posts for people to get a notification-
It's been too long, I've forgotten most of the coding. It was the most I could do to remember (img_inline) and (h?). Also, the site's changed since my last visit - quote boxes work differently. Grr.

After 100+ music reviews on the trot (a lot of them elsewhere on the net, I finally took the jump to actual music review sites), going back to over 400 words and on a different topic is daunting, it's no wonder that I've regressed to my old ways.

Anyway, enough ramble, it's good to see you too.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
I have to disagree on the controls and combat, it feels incredibly delayed and unintuitive. You expect that shield-bashing the enemy while they are in a vulnerable position (such as when they are raising their blade) would stagger them, thus giving you an opportunity to strike. But no, it does fuck all and only works when the blade is inches away from your face.

But that's not all. You also expect the character to walk backwards when you raise your shield. Again no, your character turns his back just so that some fucking skeletons can knife you. Is this the difficulty people speak of? Shitty-ass controls?

When I think about it, more and more of the difficulty lies in terrible controls and lack of information. Telling you how to do shit isn't "hand-holding", the challenge shouldn't lie in the fact that you have to look up online for how the controls work, it should lie in ACTUAL CHALLENGES.

Goddamnit, I had been hoping for a challenging game with great atmosphere (I had been looking forward to this game for quite a while), and all I get is controls that only seem to hinder me with terrible design-choices.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Hyper-space said:
I have to disagree on the controls and combat, it feels incredibly delayed and unintuitive. You expect that shield-bashing the enemy while they are in a vulnerable position (such as when they are raising their blade) would stagger them, thus giving you an opportunity to strike. But no, it does fuck all and only works when the blade is inches away from your face.

But that's not all. You also expect the character to walk backwards when you raise your shield. Again no, your character turns his back just so that some fucking skeletons can knife you. Is this the difficulty people speak of? Shitty-ass controls?

When I think about it, more and more of the difficulty lies in terrible controls and lack of information. Telling you how to do shit isn't "hand-holding", the challenge shouldn't lie in the fact that you have to look up online for how the controls work, it should lie in ACTUAL CHALLENGES.

Goddamnit, I had been hoping for a challenging game with great atmosphere (I had been looking forward to this game for quite a while), and all I get is controls that only seem to hinder me with terrible design-choices.
Ehh, really? There's a rhythm to it, and definitely no examples - anywhere - of it being "delayed".

As far as shield bashing goes (I presume you're not talking about parrying), I think the option of bashing and staggering the enemy in a huge time gap would bring up a lot of balance issue in pvp (and, indeed, pve if the enemies can do the same). Especially considering the tiny window for parrying. If you want to walk backwards from an enemy, you can try locking on, perhaps. There are several disadvantages to always being locked into strafing if you have you shield raised - being screwed if someone comes up behind you is one of them.

Apart from what I mentioned in the review, the controls are fine - they require getting used to though. I remember thinking they were awful when I first picked up the game and was getting torn apart by hollows, but now I realise that it's because I sucked. Your challenging game has come, expect it to be tricky.

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
Well this review has reminded of quite a few things. First it reminded me that the Inception soundtrack is awesome and also why I was interested in buying Dark Souls in the first place however it's on a rather large waiting queue since I have skyrim, Deus Ex and several christmas sales to work through.

You didn't need to convince me but I still don't really trust your opinion when comparing your top 5 but this might just come down to your personal aesthetic (It was your rating of Bastion that threw me off as I consider it a similarly brilliant experience of isolation and companionship).

Victor Burgos

Aug 20, 2010
Hello, Stranger. First off, I would like to say that I like your style; it is concise, and it doesn't waste your time with what doesn't matter in a game. Now, as much as I am still enjoying Dark Souls (I have grinded to the point that I am a level 411 soldier), I can't agree for it to be my game of the year. It would have been, had there not been another great game released before it: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The thing is, my reasons to liking it more than Dark Souls are rather similar to the reasons to yours for having DS for GotY. I could go on in greater detail, but that is not the reason for this thread. Anyways, great choice, we almost agree.

With regards,
Vick.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Bealzibob said:
You didn't need to convince me but I still don't really trust your opinion when comparing your top 5 but this might just come down to your personal aesthetic (It was your rating of Bastion that threw me off as I consider it a similarly brilliant experience of isolation and companionship).
My experience of Bastion involved a trackpad, so that probably effected things hugely. If it ever hops on over to the PS3, I'll get to experience it without the frustration.

volX said:
You couldve gone into a little more detail on some stuff concerning the atmosphere, but maybe its good that you didnt, for examples probably couldnt describe the whole experience anyway.
Yes I probably should have now that you mention it.

Thanks.

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
Haven't played DS nor Skyrim. I am reluctant to (grammar? I suck at English) playing RPG's, because most of the time is spent grinding or in fetch quests. I mean, I liked FFX, but I got stuck at a point where grinding was necessary and gave up.

So, in terms of pure fun and value as a deep game, Skyrim, in my opinion, seems to involve less grinding and is more fun and freedom oriented

In the other hand, DS seems to be your D&D equivalent of a videogame: complex, deep, immersive and compelling. I see it as the SotC of RPG's. Nice, polished and well structured.

So, I don't know, I think Skyrim and DS are too different to compare.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Sirron Kcuch said:
Haven't played DS nor Skyrim. I am reluctant to (grammar? I suck at English) playing RPG's, because most of the time is spent grinding or in fetch quests. I mean, I liked FFX, but I got stuck at a point where grinding was necessary and gave up.

So, in terms of pure fun and value as a deep game, Skyrim, in my opinion, seems to involve less grinding and is more fun and freedom oriented

In the other hand, DS seems to be your D&D equivalent of a videogame: complex, deep, immersive and compelling. I see it as the SotC of RPG's. Nice, polished and well structured.

So, I don't know, I think Skyrim and DS are too different to compare.
Well, it depends how you see grinding. Skyrim has a bit of grinding for levels, whereas Darks Souls has you grinding just to get better at the mechanics of it. It's perfectly possibly to finish the game without levelling at all, just harder. And there are no "quests", per se, in Dark Souls. You're never told to go out and kill X amount of these of collect this from Dungeon Y: it's more about progressing through the world itself.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
As much as the tone of the game was really set well, I feel like in ways it had less life than Skyrim. For parts of it, that is all well and good.

But for some of the random characters you meet, it really brings you out of the immersion. The loneliness aspect of the game is extremely refreshing, but when you are around characters they still feel just as unlife like, where if they would have expanded parts like that to make them seem personable(?), it would have been excellent. Have every character deeply depressed in the world? God for it. Some just happy to be alive, go for that as well. But I would have loved it if they put a little more effort into making the small sections of the game where you are encountered by other NPC's as a little more lively.

Though then again, story and character development isn't really where the game is suppose to excel.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
As much as the tone of the game was really set well, I feel like in ways it had less life than Skyrim. For parts of it, that is all well and good.

But for some of the random characters you meet, it really brings you out of the immersion. The loneliness aspect of the game is extremely refreshing, but when you are around characters they still feel just as unlife like, where if they would have expanded parts like that to make them seem personable(?), it would have been excellent. Have every character deeply depressed in the world? God for it. Some just happy to be alive, go for that as well. But I would have loved it if they put a little more effort into making the small sections of the game where you are encountered by other NPC's as a little more lively.

Though then again, story and character development isn't really where the game is suppose to excel.
I agree with you, though some of their story lines helped a lot. Solair's, especially, was heartbreaking.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Hyper-space said:

I agree with this guy, the combat seems extremely heavy, and for me its unresponsive... I don't know about anyone else but my character doesn't listen to me at all... I'll be casting a spell and then i'll try to roll out of the way, and he goes to cast a second spell. It's also glitched out on me and I've had enemies I just killed come back to life and knock me off a bridge.
[small][sub][sub]Fucking gargoyles in Anor Londo[/sub][/sub][/small]

Still like the game though
Review is nice too

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I beat Demon's Souls a couple times (NG++) but have yet to finish Dark Souls. I got caught up in a secret room thing that leads to some dragon guild thing, and there's all kinds of goodies to find and plenty of crystal lizards I can never kill. However, there's also those damned poison/curse newts and after getting stoned-formed by them twice, I said fuck it and played a different game. I think I left at the healer in lower Anor, so I'll probably go back and continue from there since he already gave me the key to continue that area.

Aaaanyway, yeah, solid review. Though, IMO, it would have been good to mention the open world aspect and how it's all linked together with some shortcuts you eventually unlock. So you can literally run from the start location to wherever you want in a matter of minutes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nice read. Almost makes me wanna go play the game again.

Eventhough I stopped playing and probably won't return to it, I have a great love for Dark Souls because it portrays dark fantasy the way I want to see it: Merciless!

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Bruenin said:
Hyper-space said:

I agree with this guy, the combat seems extremely heavy, and for me its unresponsive... I don't know about anyone else but my character doesn't listen to me at all... I'll be casting a spell and then i'll try to roll out of the way, and he goes to cast a second spell. It's also glitched out on me and I've had enemies I just killed come back to life and knock me off a bridge.

Review is nice too
You playing on Xbox? I've just read a comparison thing and apparently there's a delay in attacking/blocking/parrying which isn't evident on the PS3 version.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Stranger of Sorts said:
Bruenin said:
Hyper-space said:

Review is nice too
You playing on Xbox? I've just read a comparison thing and apparently there's a delay in attacking/blocking/parrying which isn't evident on the PS3 version.
Yep and it kinda sucks because I can't backstab and attacks hit me even when they really shouldn't

Espl

Jan 12, 2012
A lovely review. A bit short, but that's okay. I specifically liked the OP's mention of the co-operative possibilities within the game. Exciting!