Dark Souls Remastered is Insulting

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Shame on whoever was involved with producing such a lackluster update of one of gaming?s most treasured IP?s. Ideally sales would reflect their effort and they?d feel deep remorse for taking advantage of their dedicated fan base, but we live in an lulz reality.

Having said that, I suppose I?m being premature in judgment since we only have some controversial web footage to go by. Maybe there will be settings that improve things on PC and even console. Much of the trailer footage looks like it could be improved by simply adjusting the contrast for example, but then there are other technical differences which appear more pronounced.

Anyways, here are some other changes being made [http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/04/03/here-are-all-the-differences-between-dark-souls-and-dark-souls-remastered].

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Bah.

I am gonna get it anyway on PC because my PS3 version sucks compared to this remaster. I mean the Sewer/Bog level on the PS3 version is a framerate nightmare. And I tried the original Dark Souls on PC (through my brother's library) and I was still shocked that the port is still bad. I am banking on this remaster tht it will have rebindable keys for Gamepad Controllers.

And most of the complaints he addresses are exploits and glitches that I am not skilled enough to master. Its like trying to do glitches in Smash Bros. Melee like roll canceling. And again most of the issues are of a PVP perspective. And I never cared for Dark Souls PVP.

If it bothers you that my purchase will send a message to these devs, well to bad for you, my money, my buisness. However I will get this on a sale though because I am not gonna spend 40 dollars on this.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What most people are complaining about, even the IGN staff who loves everything popular is that the DSfix version still looks significantly better. It may not be 60fps but there?s no reason the remaster couldn?t have at least matched the PC version visual quality at that framerate on current hardware. It may have animated foliage now but that even looks arguably worse. I do really like the dust swirls and smoke near a bonfire though.

As it stands unless they patch in some more improvements I?ll stick with my PTD DSfix version, at least until the price of this more accurately reflects the effort.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
What most people are complaining about, even the IGN staff who loves everything popular is that the DSfix version still looks significantly better. It may not be 60fps but there?s no reason the remaster couldn?t have at least matched the PC version visual quality at that framerate on current hardware. It may have animated foliage now but that even looks arguably worse. I do really like the dust swirls and smoke near a bonfire though.

As it stands unless they patch in some more improvements I?ll stick with my PTD DSfix version, at least until the price of his more accurately reflects the effort.
Will the original version no longer avaliable though or will it be bundled with the remaster like how it was for Bioshock 1 and 2 and Skyrim?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

As it stands unless they patch in some more improvements I?ll stick with my PTD DSfix version, at least until the price of his more accurately reflects the effort.
Will the original version no longer avaliable though or will it be bundled with the remaster like how it was for Bioshock 1 and 2 and Skyrim?
It sounds like the Prepare to Die version will be discontinued once the remaster is out. The Steam version will be discounted at half price [https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/24/dark-souls-remastered-steam-upgrade-discount/], which is a nice start. Almost, almost enticing enough to bite.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"Seems to be the general consensus"

* Presents only one video from a random obscure Youtuber *

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Lesse.

Graphics - Don't really care tbh. 60fps is nice I guess (assuming it doesn't break the game, since this is a game that uses defined iframes, which shouldn't be a thing with anyone who knows what they're doing).

Online Multiplayer - Still trying to push that eh. Lol. I'll give them a nod for incorporating the password co-opping thing though.

Arena - WTF? I'd say tacked on multiplayer mode, but there was already tacked on multiplayer. Can't really slag added content too much though, and maybe it'll move the annoying tryhards out of the regular game areas.

Everything Else - Actual quality of life improvements. I wasn't actually expecting them to put that level of work on the thing (or acknowledge actual fault in the game), so kudos.

Although

"The online network has been changed from P2P to dedicated servers."

What? The article literally says nothing beyond that. That sure as hell seems like this just became an always online game if you have to go on a dedicated server to play. Unless its for the Arena thing, in which case the article has it listed in the wrong section. Or do you just get sucked onto the dedicated server when invaded/summoned?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
CaitSeith said:

Every video I have seen on YouTube has complained about the same things (visuals), but that one went into more detail.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The original DS was a horribly designed, buggy, obtuse, slogging mess of a game. It was only saved by obscenely annoying fans, and I'll admit active modding community. It shouldn't come as a surprise that a un-modded upgraded copy is still a horribly designed, buggy, obtuse, slogging mess of a game with better textures.
Its always been the weakest of the SoulsBorne series, through no real fault of its own - it was just the first, because we don't talk about Demon's Souls anymore. So FromSoftware was able to learn from its mistakes for DS2, BB, and DS3

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
hanselthecaretaker said:
CaitSeith said:

Every video I have seen on YouTube has complained about the same things (visuals), but that one went into more detail.
This criticism are for the console beta, and most of the complains is that they didn't fix the bugs from the original game.

But if they fixed the bugs, you wouldn't have the genuine Dark Souls 1 console experience, would you? (/half sarcasm)

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Any word on whether the game fixes Lost Izalith so that it actually feels like a complete area of the game? As opposed to the stupid flat plane full of Capra Demons and the even stupider blinding lava field with the incomplete dragons?

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
jademunky said:
Any word on whether the game fixes Lost Izalith so that it actually feels like a complete area of the game? As opposed to the stupid flat plane full of Capra Demons and the even stupider blinding lava field with the incomplete dragons?
No they didn't do anything with that. The overall game has changed very little outside of a few very small tweaks, like adding a bonfire by Vamos the Blacksmith. The game is just the small tweaks and a very minor visual upgrade that isn't on par with that the current PC version can do. It's pretty much just for console gamers who never got to play it before.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Comic Sans said:
jademunky said:
No they didn't do anything with that. The overall game has changed very little outside of a few very small tweaks, like adding a bonfire by Vamos the Blacksmith. The game is just the small tweaks and a very minor visual upgrade that isn't on par with that the current PC version can do. It's pretty much just for console gamers who never got to play it before.
I see. Well, I guess I'll just replay my existing Prepare to Die edition then. I knew it was going to just be a remake rather than a remaster so not too disappointed.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
CaitSeith said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
CaitSeith said:

This criticism are for the console beta, and most of the complains is that they didn't fix the bugs from the original game.

But if they fixed the bugs, you wouldn't have the genuine Dark Souls 1 console experience, would you? (/half sarcasm)

Nostalgia has its limits though, and this is coming from someone who didn?t have a problem with Blighttown on PS3. I thought the framerate issues helped me play more carefully around the upper levels.

jademunky said:
Comic Sans said:
jademunky said:
I see. Well, I guess I'll just replay my existing Prepare to Die edition then. I knew it was going to just be a remake rather than a remaster so not too disappointed.
It's a remaster. A remake would be the FF7 treatment. As it is, I think Scholar of the First Sin seems like the superior remaster, at least on console. [https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-dark-souls-remastered-ps4-pro-first-look] The minor gameplay touches that update inventory management are welcome here. It would be best to have some of the better graphics of DSfix and everything else from the remaster in one package. The bonfire smoke effects and moving foliage are nice touches graphically though too.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
I'm going to buy it. If nothing else, it's an excuse to start a new character and do a fresh playthrough. It should also create an influx of people for multiplayer/PvP, for a few months anyway.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
jademunky said:
I can't remember exactly where I head it, but supposedly the devs were very explicitly told they were not allowed to try anything like that. Another change the devs wanted to add was the ability to swap covenants on the fly (like DS3), but they were shot down for the same reason.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
As much as I would love Dark Souls with the graphics and engine of DkS3 that was simply never going to happen. From what I've seen of the network test on youtube the game appears to run fine on PS4 though(for what is still decidedly a last-gen game). I always planned on getting it anyway since I don't have a PS3 anymore.

I still haven't figured out who did the remaster though. Was it Virtuos who also did the Arkham games or some other company?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
stroopwafel said:
As much as I would love Dark Souls with the graphics and engine of DkS3 that was simply never going to happen. From what I've seen of the network test on youtube the game appears to run fine on PS4 though(for what is still decidedly a last-gen game). I always planned on getting it anyway since I don't have a PS3 anymore.

I still haven't figured out who did the remaster though. Was it Virtuos who also did the Arkham games or some other company?
QLOC is doing the XB1, PS4 and PC. Virtous is doing the Switch.

Here's another more recent preview [https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-can-dark-souls-remastered-improve-on-the-modded-pc-original] from Eurogamer that sounds somewhat promising.