Dark Souls Sells 2.3 Million Copies

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Personally I'm surprised they made Dark Souls in the first place, considering Demons' Souls only sold 280 thousand. Then again can't say I'm complaining, Dark Souls was much better imo than Demons'. Can't wait for #2.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
mad825 said:
Innegativeion said:
Something doesn't have to be complex to be deep, that's what we call elegance. And Dark Souls combat (at least PVE, haven't done much PVP) out the wazoo. It's simple, but players can approach it in a myriad of different, meaningful ways, and that translates to depth.
And that poster was stating that it was complex. What people call elegance, we call it pretentiousness.

The story too, is extremely deep and interesting if you research all the items descriptions, npc dialogues, and your surroundings. It's unconventional in that sense, since the story isn't really told to the player, more like woven into the world.
Items descriptions and npc dialogues are vague as hell to the point it has no meaning. Yeah, the surroundings are any better;look! that's a nest, expect to attack insects!...Yeah...
thethird0611 said:
Serisouly? Your first reply to my post is a picture?

nice comeback, learn memes.

Yes, the combat is deep. I have 5 characters who I play with, and it changes the game each time.
Fighting sword, fight at close range. uses bow, fights at distance...There isn't really much, magic is the only complex mechanic in the game.

Now the story? Hold on... let me show you just how in depth it is... The story doesnt lay itself out for you on a red carpet and tells you everything upfront.
No, instead it throws a pile of books on the floor and expects you to form a thesis. I'm not asking to tell me story but to give me hints, a reason, reminder. anything and I mean anything but not nothing.
EDIT: I have been informed by someone cool that this isnt the best conversation to be had, so im editing it and not discussing it with this individual.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
And yet some would defend to the death that the game needs to be made "more accessible" Go figure.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
mad825 said:
Innegativeion said:
Something doesn't have to be complex to be deep, that's what we call elegance. And Dark Souls combat (at least PVE, haven't done much PVP) out the wazoo. It's simple, but players can approach it in a myriad of different, meaningful ways, and that translates to depth.
And that poster was stating that it was complex. What people call elegance, we call it pretentiousness.
ACTUALLY it's called Emergent Complexity. It's basically what a good game is made of. It's the idea of making a system that has as few variables as possible but being able to use these variables in a myriad of ways. And in fact most games that stand the test of time (like Chess or Go) are based around Emergent Complexity. And I would say that Dark Souls is quite good at this. It gives you a few very basic ways to play the game but each variation adds it's own depth and can create an entirely different experience from one play through to the next. I wouldn't say it's a prime example of Emergent Complexity and the elegance that comes from it, but it is indeed a good example

As for the story. Many people enjoy being able to pick through the flavor text and subtle conversations in order to piece together a story. In fact I hope to see MORE of stuff like this is games personally. Games excel at this type of story telling because they are not as restrictive in how you interact with them. In this case Dark Souls IS a prime example of creating a more realistic story and world for the player. I get very tired of the layers and layers of exposition that get heaped upon me by most media, Dark Souls is a great example of how to tell a story without having to grab your face and say, "LOOK! LOOK AT THIS!!! THIS IS THE STORY!!!! UNDERSTAND IT!!!!!!!!!!"

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
viranimus said:
And yet some would defend to the death that the game needs to be made "more accessible" Go figure.
To be honest, the game probably would be more popular if they ever took a moment past the bare-bones tutorial to teach you about how upgrading works, or how casting works (even something as simple as a little text screen when you first equip a talisman/pyromancer's flame/catalyst, or one when you first hit the reinforce weapon button on any of the screens). Since those 2 things are really fucking important and without them the game is absolutely BRUTAL, having nothing but bare bones armor or weapons.

Or do they do that? I never noticed one but I already knew how it worked going in because I did a tad of research.

Luchy

Mar 17, 2012
Aeonknight said:
Personally I'm surprised they made Dark Souls in the first place, considering Demons' Souls only sold 280 thousand. Then again can't say I'm complaining, Dark Souls was much better imo than Demons'. Can't wait for #2.
Demon's Souls did not sell only 280,000 copies. It sold more than that. It sold 280,000 copies after two quarters on the market. And if i'm not mistaken, that was before they released it in Europe. Actually I think the game has sold between 1 - 1,5 million units in it's lifetime, got no source to verify that of course, but you can probably find the proper numbers somewhere.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Quazimofo said:
viranimus said:
To be honest, the game probably would be more popular if they ever took a moment past the bare-bones tutorial to teach you about how upgrading works, or how casting works (even something as simple as a little text screen when you first equip a talisman/pyromancer's flame/catalyst, or one when you first hit the reinforce weapon button on any of the screens). Since those 2 things are really fucking important and without them the game is absolutely BRUTAL, having nothing but bare bones armor or weapons.

Or do they do that? I never noticed one but I already knew how it worked going in because I did a tad of research.
I dont know. Truth be told I was never much of a magic/miracle user in Demons so for what ever reason by the time I went to use magic I had already learned about catalysts. I will grant you however some tutorial stuff does in fact come in handy. I confess I was halfway through Demons before I figured out what the "Run" button was, and I was all the way to Tower Knight before figuring out how to lock on. I can see it being beneficial, but I really doubt it would make that much of a difference having a more extensive tutorial.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
But how did they manage to break even with such slow market penetration? How many studios did they have to shut down?
From Software's accountant is every bit as hardcore as the notoriously hard difficulty setting of Dark Souls. If any department goes over budget he shows up at the house of the head of that department, pistol whips them with a deagle and then sets them on fire in front of their wife and children.

And then tells them to come in early on Monday to make up time.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
mad825 said:
Innegativeion said:
the same principle that makes pokemon and the mario RPGs so popular.
And WoW? CoD? right? popularity does not equal quality. Regardless, it shows on which side of the fence you're on. Fanboyism.
I don't really feel like I need to defend myself against this one. That exchange kind of speaks for itself.

Besides, it seems others have already defended my stance.

Appreciated.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
RatherDull said:
Congratulations, From Software. You're officially mainstream AAA.

How does it feel?
If they are AAA then 2.3 million copies means its time to layoff the team.

Also AAA has to do with cost of production, not quality or total sales >.>. At least that's how games use it now.

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
God damn this game for being awesome and hard, and fuck Artorias that god damn nimble bastard, 8 hours I tried to defeat that guy, all my hate/love.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I remember seeing the Prepare To Die edition in my gameshop recently, might pick it up, this game has eluded me for a while though, I just might try it!

After all, getting your nuts kicked out through your teeth can be fun too...
Please report back in if you dare to take it for a spin.

You can totally rush in and have your bottom handed to you in a multitude of ways. You can absolutely spend half of your total playing time dead and retreading your steps, emulating Sisyphus.

You can also bring everything you are and everything you know to the table and find one of the finest interactive experiences there is, surprising you with places of beauty and a wide, surreal range of creatures and things that absolutely find no joy greater than to poke you, smash you, stab you and kick you in the nuts. You can take it like a champ or return the favour, with interest, and in advance.

Can't wait for Dark Souls II. Still think the name is lame, but if that's going to be my biggest gripe, the hell with it.

http://ugrgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/dark-souls-you-died-game-over-3.jpg

Bear in mind that you can whack everyone, even the folks that are nice and helpful to you. When you do whack them, they will stop being nice to you. Fair warning.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
"and Namco Bandai posts record losses, causing From Software to be dissolved "... is what I expected to read.

It's refreshing to see developers/publishers actually happy with sales figures like this, am I so jaded.

Obskureable

Apr 12, 2013
I agree that Dark Souls was a good game.
alltho i'm quite suprised that it's *only* sold 2,3 million copies
I thought i would've sold more.
Maybe it's the * prepare to die* that kept many gamers away that also affected the sales of it?
I don't know. One thing i do know tho,that Dark Souls 2 has quite a big pair of boots to fill

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Square-Enix would call that "depressingly underwhelming"...no, wait, the game was developed in Japan: "GLORIOUS VICTORY!!"

Hats off to From Software, they've got a well-deserved hit on their hands. Now just throw a GODDAMN bestiary into the next game explaining the backstory of some of these MAGNIFICENT creatures, and I'll be happy.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
mad825 said:
Now the story? Hold on... let me show you just how in depth it is... The story doesnt lay itself out for you on a red carpet and tells you everything upfront.
No, instead it throws a pile of books on the floor and expects you to form a thesis. I'm not asking to tell me story but to give me hints, a reason, reminder. anything and I mean anything but not nothing.
Actually the game does exactly what you ask. It gives you lots of hints and reasons and never just throws you a pile of books.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Great news for From Software. This means they have the money to make another Tenchu game XD

Not sure why on earth someone above wrote the combat was deep though. It was more that it played jerky rather than deep.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
viranimus said:
Quazimofo said:
viranimus said:

I dont know. Truth be told I was never much of a magic/miracle user in Demons so for what ever reason by the time I went to use magic I had already learned about catalysts. I will grant you however some tutorial stuff does in fact come in handy. I confess I was halfway through Demons before I figured out what the "Run" button was, and I was all the way to Tower Knight before figuring out how to lock on. I can see it being beneficial, but I really doubt it would make that much of a difference having a more extensive tutorial.
It certainly would. Running off a new character, you progress at a much faster rate than you did your first time. Part of it is you know the environment, part of it is you have experience with the enemies and the most efficient ways to deal with them.

But think, would you REALLY be able to get so far so fast if you didn't know you could backstab? If you didn't know you could parry? If you didn't know rolling had a small invulnerability window? If you didn't even know how to lock on and so had to free-aim everything and hope you were facing the right way so that you could successfully block with your shield?
What if you didn't know how to switch weapons or use half the usable items in the inventory? The ability to beat the game so quickly is a mastery of all of the tools available, but if a tutorial had never taught you that those tools were even there, let alone how to use them (At least mechanically), the game is a LOT fucking harder!

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
Wait, a publisher is happy with 2.3 million copies sold. That's it the world is coming to an end.

In all seriousness it's good that Dark Souls is selling this much. The game is great and it deserves to have those sales.