Darksiders II Review

StreetBushido

Nov 22, 2009
Never got around to playing the first one, as I felt that Okami scratched that particular itch. This looks really good, though, and I think I'll pick it up. Do you miss out on a lot by playing the second game without having played the first?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Hmmm. I can live with those flaws. I will make up my own mind when I get my hands on it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Was that Cthulu at the very end of the video?

Anyways, this game looks like a Legacy of Kane type game, and since I always enjoyed those I'll be looking into this one. I prefer my Death more Grim Reaper style with the whole black cloak and such, but you can't argue with playing as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

:3 Can't wait to see the game staring Famine..."I'M IN UR FEELDZ, KILLIN' UR CROPZ!"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
StreetBushido said:
Never got around to playing the first one, as I felt that Okami scratched that particular itch. This looks really good, though, and I think I'll pick it up. Do you miss out on a lot by playing the second game without having played the first?
Nope. The underlying motivation of your character is in direct response to the events of the first game, but for the most part you won't feel confused or that you're missing out. At the very least, a quick story summary read-through on Wikipedia or the like should get you up to speed if you never plan on going through the first on your own.

Dec 14, 2009
Looking forward to this.

I enjoyed the original, but felt that its mechanics weren't quite refined enough.

DS2 looks to have fixed those, and the tie-in story looks great. Will be interesting to see how Death influenced War's story.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Just picked this up. Can't wait to give it a go.
StreetBushido said:
Probably nothing you wouldn't figure out, though the original is a)inexpensive and b)pretty fun. Might as well pick up the first and grab this after it has had some time to go on Steam sale etc.

Glad to hear the positive review. Must...learn...SAS...first...

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I'm still conflicted.

I want THQ to succeed and I enjoy platforming games, but on the other hand the cartoony-angsty World of Warcraft aesthetic really kills it for me.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
Speaking as someone who likes this genre (Prince of Persia Sands of Time is one of my all-time favs), I could not stand more than 15min of Darksiders 1 and this looks like just more of the same.

Mindless LMB-mashing with the story going from absurd to childish and even hilarious (when it's trying to be serious).

Even worse, not everything was collectable from the get-go so if you have OCD, this is going to be a real nightmare.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i loved darksiders and wanted to finally finish it (i never did because i sometimes have the attenti OMG LOOK A BUTTERFLY) but than my PC died and after fixing it i will have to skip either this, dishonored or borderlands 2. and i really wanted to get all those games on launch since i want all the developers to succeed.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Darksiders II Review

Death's got a lot of work to do.

Read Full Article
Platform(s): PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U
You're missing a platform on that list.

I would be playing mine right now if I didn't miss the UPS delivery that was supposed to drop off my PC collectors edition >.>

This is what I get for being nice and going into work on my day off.

My expectations for this are fairly high. The first one was a great mix of Legend of Zelda quest/dungeon puzzles and God of War (HAHA!) stylized combat. I expect no less from this one.

I also hope this game does well for THQ. Not all their games are great, but they're one of the few major publishers who seem to have a higher than average attention to detail. Their games tend to be well made and ported properly. Aside from the Saints Row games, which I haven't actually played but I hear about how bad SR2 was for PC, I haven't had a single problem with a THQ PC game.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Been playing it since this morning. I kept putting off going to the gym until "I just finish this last dungeon" which cost me an hour before leaving. After getting back and showering I start playing again and after some time just happen to alt tab and realize "GOD DAMN ITS THREE HOURS LATER!". So needless to say I see me getting my monies worth out of it which wouldn't be too hard considering I paid $40 at Green Man Gaming last night for it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
misterprickly said:
If the first was like Oot... Is ds2, Majora's Mask?

Comming soon, Darksiders 3: Twilight Princess.
So far I haven't seen as much of the Zelda influence as the first one had, this is closer to a mix of diablo, Legacy of Kain and a smidge of Zelda thrown in. Then again I'm not that far into it yet. I got it for the pc and its awesome.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
I would have bought into this series if Death looked more like, say, Grim:

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Billy---Mandy-cartoon-network-647535_400_533.jpg

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Honestly, I liked the first game a lot, even if it was the wonky PC version, I still liked it for what it was and even bested some of it's "inspirations" in a few areas. This game looks like it has even more well made "inspirations".

I'll may get this game whenever it drops it's price and it's discounted even more in a Steam sale.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Looks like a solid sequel to what was a great game. I enjoyed Darksiders and it looks like Darksiders II has a better of idea as to what kind of game it is.

Sometimes it is interesting when a game series can skirt the issue of innovation by placing several tried and true game mechanics all into the same game. Sure it's nothing we haven't seen before, but putting it all together in the same game is still pretty impressive.