Darkstalkers Resurrection Review

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Darkstalkers Resurrection Review

Far from a mere rehash, Darkstalkers Resurrection proves that Capcom knows exactly what fans want, even if they often don?t.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I hope this does well enough that it might even trick Capcom into making a proper, full retail, Darkstalkers.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
One thing not mentioned in the article is the tutorial system for each character. I'm not sure if this was in the originals (it sure wasnt in the Darkstalkers 3 port on the PSP), but the tutorial system in these games is excellent. It leaves the simple mechanics somewhat aside and gets to the skills you ACTUALLY need in a match. Some of these are pretty simple to the game, in that they're linked to the mechanics; such as attacking while in a dash causes an overhead, but they start from low combo strings (important for beginners to learn), to combo enders that are safe on block, etc. It might have been a product of this game being out and there being a knowledge base for its mechanics, but it shows that Capcom knows how to teach this game, which goes a long way further for beginners than most fighting games do.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ipsen said:
One thing not mentioned in the article is the tutorial system for each character.
Yeah, sadly I only had so much space to work with (but trust me when I say that the original draft of this review included a lengthy section on how great they are).

You're absolutely right though, the tutorial system in DR is brilliant. Capcom has been implementing increasingly better attempts at this with each of its rehashes, and the DR version blows the rest of them out of the water. It doesn't just demonstrate how to perform special attacks, it's more organic, and gradually teaches players when and where to use these attacks.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I can buy the original Darkstalkers games on the Saturn and PSX for just 100yen each, therefore, paying any more for this is just stupid. If you happen to own the old retro consoles, save yourselves the money and buy the originals. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who likes to fork out money to see a game look just a little bit sharper, or whatever.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Part of me really, really wants to get this. But the other part of me remembers what they did to Megaman Legends 3...
The other side is winning for right now. :D
(I'm a broken record, but we've waited close to 13 years dang it!)

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Terramax said:
I can buy the original Darkstalkers games on the Saturn and PSX for just 100yen each, therefore, paying any more for this is just stupid. If you happen to own the old retro consoles, save yourselves the money and buy the originals. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who likes to fork out money to see a game look just a little bit sharper, or whatever.

This has online play!

That's worth the price more than enough when you have nobody to fight where you live.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
Terramax said:
did you miss the part where this lets you play online? that is really the main draw of these Iron Galaxy re-releases

if you just want to mash away against and AI then yeah buying a PS1 copy is an option. but most people get bored of the AI pretty fast

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ahhhh Darkstalkers, my all-time-favorite fighting series ever since I discovered it in an Aladdin's Castle (arcade at one of the local malls) back in the early 90's and soon after bought it for the original Playstation (think I actually had to special order it).

I had heard that this game was coming out for XBLA but had completely forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me! Can't wait to start ripping out people's souls as Jedah again!

Seriously, my biggest disappointment with the Marvel vs Capcom series is the distinct lack of Jedah and all his badassedness. :p

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Gailim said:
did you miss the part where this lets you play online?
Don't be too angry at him. Most of our audience doesn't actually read the articles before jumping into the comments section.

That said, I'm wondering where exactly he can find the PSX/Saturn releases for the equivalent of $1USD. They were far more abundant in Japan, but even assuming you live in the heart of Akihabara, I doubt they're clogging up the budget bin at $1 a piece.

Needless to say, for American gamers, the Darkstalkers games aren't that easy to find (and would be expensive to import), and the old console releases are not arcade-perfect -- the PSX ones, while generally considered good by Capcom standards, are lacking animation frames and certain characters (the Saturn version is better, but even with the RAM cart isn't as good as the arcade version or Resurrection) -- and, as many others have stated, do not contain online play. Plus, I imagine he glossed over the part where I covered all the new aesthetics options and gameplay options. The Challenges mode in Resurrection alone contains more contant those original home releases.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Cool I've always wanted to try the Darkstalkers series out.

Terramax said:
Terramax said:

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Gailim said:
Terramax said:

Nope, but online play doesn't make Darkstalkers much better. Speaking as someone who plays it in the arcade fairly regularly even now.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Gailim said:
Don't be too angry at him. Most of our audience doesn't actually read the articles before jumping into the comments section.
Don't get upset, but some people are aware online isn't that big a deal. Some people play fighters with friends, or maybe even pros at the arcades. Taht being said I played darkstalkers online back in the Dreamcast years.

That said, I'm wondering where exactly he can find the PSX/Saturn releases for the equivalent of $1USD. They were far more abundant in Japan, but even assuming you live in the heart of Akihabara, I doubt they're clogging up the budget bin at $1 a piece.
I live in japan. Hence why I said 100yen, no $1. Walk into any store in japan and you're bound to find about 7 copies of the Darkstalkers for 100yen each.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
I was more of a Darkstalkers fan than I was Street Fighter, mostly due to renting both Night Warriors and Darkstalkers 3 a lot back in the good ol' days of movie rental stores for my PlayStation. I bought it via Xbox Live and so far I am 100% happy with it! The developers did a wonderful job cleaning up the sprites and backgrounds; now I can see the characters more clearly instead of a slight blurriness (though there is an option to revert back to the original graphics, but if you have an HDTV like I do, why spoil it) that I vividly remember from my PSX days.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Terramax said:
I live in japan. Hence why I said 100yen, no $1. Walk into any store in japan and you're bound to find about 7 copies of the Darkstalkers for 100yen each.
I thought that might be the case (or, at least, would be the only possible explanation). Apologies, but our audience here is almost entirely located in America with a small ratio found in Europe. The number of Japanese readers we have is statistically insignificant. You can understand then why editorial directives intstruct us to write directly for this American audience.

My point about the sub-par Saturn and PSX iterations of the game still stands, particularly as Resurrection is actively better than the original arcade game (which, in turn, overshadows its then-modern console ports).

I tell you what though, if you can provide picture evidence of these 100 yen Saturn versions of the game, I'd love to enlist you to help me import one. They're impossible to find here (especially if you want the original packaging), so if your claims are legit, I'll pay all of the expenses and toss an extra $10 your way for the trouble of grabbing a copy and sending it over. Deal?

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Funny thing... the only thing I knew about Darkstalkers before they announced the re-release was this demon chick with the sex outfit... and then Movie Bob taught me it wasn't even the ?main? fanservice this had to offer...
I'm still not going to buy it though.