DARPA Calls For Creative Individuals to Weaponize Common Items

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
DARPA Calls For Creative Individuals to Weaponize Common Items

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1297/1297139.jpg

Do you want to be a MacGyver and turn everyday household items into Decepticons? Then DARPA's new Improv program wants you.

This sounds like a Transformers movie. Or a MacGyver episode. Heck, this could even be a precursor to Skynet and future Terminators. OK, that last one may not apply, but a new DARPA program wants people who can weaponize a toaster.

The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has launched a program called Improv and is soliciting creative minds to submit proposals on how common off-the-shelf, internet-connected items can be used as weapons.

"DARPA often looks at the world from the point of view of our potential adversaries to predict what they might do with available technology," DARPA Program Manager John Main. "Historically, we did this by pulling together a small group of technical experts, but the easy availability in today's world of an enormous range of powerful technologies means that any group of experts only covers a small slice of the available possibilities. In Improv, we are reaching out to the full range of technical experts to involve them in a critical national security issue."

Once the proposals have been accepted (the deadline is April 13), DARPA plans to select some promising ones for further investigation and eventual prototyping within 90 days. Successful applicants will be awarded up to $40,000 to conduct a feasibility study, up to $70,000 for prototype construction and up to $20,000 for prototype evaluation. If you want to know more, DARPA is hosting a webcast on Improv [https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=f800609a5aea4c5a98b1efa9ed3e09d4&tab=core&_cview=0] on March 29 and 30.

"DARPA's mission is to create strategic surprise, and the agency primarily does so by pursuing radically innovative and even seemingly impossible technologies," Main said. "Improv is being launched in recognition that strategic surprise can also come from more familiar technologies, adapted and applied in novel ways."

[gallery=5979]

Source: ZDNet [http://www.zdnet.com/article/darpa-well-pay-you-up-to-130k-to-turn-fridges-and-vacuums-into-deadly-weapons/]

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I don't really see what's pictured in #5 as being "off-the-shelf" but maybe we just have different stores here.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Tortilla the Hun said:
I don't really see what's pictured in #5 as being "off-the-shelf" but maybe we just have different stores here.
They didn't use a ruler for scale, but those are rustic massagers.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Would it count if I welded a big knife to a macbook and thus turn it into a deadly melee weapon?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
WinterWyvern said:
....So... telling people "Hey, turn things into weapons. Everything. ANYTHING! Remember kids: think murder!" and rewarding them for doing so... is a good thing?
And they wonder why there's a school shooting every month in America.
It looks like they're screening even the applicants themselves first before they even have a chance to submit a single word to them. So yeah, not gonna be accepting any kids or really anyone without an engineering or science degree it looks like.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
WinterWyvern said:
....So... telling people "Hey, turn things into weapons. Everything. ANYTHING! Remember kids: think murder!" and rewarding them for doing so... is a good thing?
And they wonder why there's a school shooting every month in America.
Where do you get the impression DARPA is specifically targeting children? Only people with sufficient knowledge of engineering and technology to build weapons in the first place are even encouraged to apply. And what does this have to do with school shootings? School shootings are carried out with guns, not improvised weapons or devices.

---

Anyway, when I first read the headline I had the funny image in my head of DARPA luring out backyard bomb makers and promptly arresting them, (since I thought that sort of thing was kind of illegal) but the reasoning behind the program is sound. My only worry is that the viable concepts might be too easy to build or use and then the related products might get pulled from shelves or have sales restricted.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Terminalchaos said:
Doozie said:
Wow, what a shitty thing to ask humanity to do. Spread peace not war, buddy!
You do realize sufficient war leads to world peace?
Well, OBVIOUSLY. Just look at all the world peace after over two millenniums of war!

Good job spreading the word, Escapist. It's always good to keep people informed that they can be rewarded for their desire to kill. Civilization done right.