Darth Maul Alive

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
LostCrusader said:
Just gonna point out that they have brought back plenty of "dead" characters before. Vader, Palpatine, and Thrawn all jump to mind.
Yep. LucasArts is a friggin' assembly line of crap. Well, except for *your* favorite character, I mean.
Seriously, any character with the slightest potential interest to fans gets dug up (sometimes literally) and revisited. Piett survived the crash. Palpatine had a clone stashed. There's a book about Darth Plagius(sp?) the Wise going to be released next year.

There's one comeback story that I haven't seen, which would make the most sense. Count Dooku was Palpatine's bag man and set up the whole clone army (and presumably Palpatine's own clones). How hard would it have been to accidentally buy an extra clone or two? He could even have blamed it on Jango if Palpatine found out.

"Yes, my Master. But it looked like so much fun!"

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
LostCrusader said:
Just gonna point out that they have brought back plenty of "dead" characters before. Vader, Palpatine, and Thrawn all jump to mind.
Okay, Palpatine I know of, but what stories were Vader and Thrawn brought back from the dead in? I know there were some books written after the Thrawn trilogy that took place before he died, but I've never heard anything about him coming back from the dead. Same thing with Vader; I think I would have heard of it if something as major as his death was ret-conned in the EU.

As for this decision, I'd much prefer it if they made the story about Darth Maul being killed by Uncle Owen canon. I haven't actually read it, but it would fit in nicely with the early (I mean starting in 1977) EU portrayals of Uncle Owen, where he was supposed to be Obi Wan's half brother, and was pretty badass in his own right when it came to things like holding off Sand People raiding parties. There was even a line in the original novel (and the radio play) of Star Wars where Obi Wan said that Owen could hold off a whole raiding party with a single blaster. I could see a man like that putting cyborg Darth Maul back down.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
PAH! Don't make me laugh, he had about 3 lines in the entire film and just stood around grimacing. People only remember him because he had a double bladed lightsaber and cool face paint.
Also because Ray Park did an awesome job choreographing and delivering the first ever impressive light saber battle.

believer258 said:
Meanwhile... what? Why? Darth Maul was the best part of Episode 1, why would you bring him back to rape him into crappiness!?

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Fagotto said:
Caverat said:
When I read the title of this thread, I was expecting to hear that George Lucas went back and edited Episode 1 so Darth Maul didn't get cut in half or something.
Be careful, you don't want to give him more ideas.
It was George Lucas himself who had the idea of bringing Darth Maul back to the Star Wars universe and giving him a place on the animated series, Entertainment Weekly reported.
Well it was Lucas's idea to bring him back so he might edit it. I wish he'd edit himself out of existance.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Irridium said:
Not sure how you survive getting cut in half and thrown down a large pit. But whatever.
The same way you survive getting your legs and last functioning arm cut off and then bursting into flames on the shore of a molten river of lava. SCIENCE!!!

In all seriousness though, light-sabers instantly cauterize wounds such as chopped off limbs. So despite losing all of his organs below the belt Darth Maul wasn't losing any blood on his way down and his more vital organs were very much still in tact. It's not a far stretch of the imagination that he managed to avoid hitting the bottom, simply crawled to safety, and then later was fitted with some prosthetic goodies to help him survive in the long term. I mean general Grevious was just a sack of organs attached to some prosthetic body parts, so why can't Darth Maul get some cyber legs?

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Meh? Sure I wish he had more to do in Episode 1 (I won't lie, I thought he was the best part) but really though? I guess they could pull the clone bullshit... But that would make it... the 900th time they've used that plot device in the EU? Honestly though, meh, I shall go back to my happy place where only the original trilogy, the rogue squadron series and KotOR exist...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Fagotto said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Irridium said:
Not sure how you survive getting cut in half and thrown down a large pit. But whatever.
The same way you survive getting your legs and last functioning arm cut off and then bursting into flames on the shore of a molten river of lava. SCIENCE!!!

In all seriousness though, light-sabers instantly cauterize wounds such as chopped off limbs. So despite losing all of his organs below the belt Darth Maul wasn't losing any blood on his way down and his more vital organs were very much still in tact. It's not a far stretch of the imagination that he managed to avoid hitting the bottom, simply crawled to safety, and then later was fitted with some prosthetic goodies to help him survive in the long term. I mean general Grevious was just a sack of organs attached to some prosthetic body parts, so why can't Darth Maul get some cyber legs?
In my head I am thinking of Darth Maul with Grevious' legs now. It is not a pretty sight. And it robs poor Darth Maul of all dignity.
That the catch though. It's not necessarily a good idea, it's just an idea with plausible retcon. I reside firmly in the camp that it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
As much as I'm not sure if it's a good idea, this Clone Wars show is actually really freaking awesome, so I think I'll trust them with it...

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Viral_Lola said:
I like crisp but not human crisp. I like the potato-y kinds. Going back through the original trilogy, Vader was an angry stump of a man but I would be to if I lost my wife, limbs, skin, and friends.
That would put a downer at Christmas
Darth Sidious "what do you want for Christmas"
Darth Vader "my family back"
Darth Sidious "have you been a good Sith?"

Viral_Lola said:
Speaking more about Maul, I remember a comic where they brought him back. He and Vader get into a fight and Vader stabs Maul by stabbing himself. They had some sort of exchange where Vader said that he hated himself. I don?t remember all of it though.
He was also bought back to try to kill Skywalker as a baby, which Obi Wan Kenobi thwarted, naturally, cos he's awesome like that.

Viral_Lola said:
*looks around

I?ll go back to my cage again.
What a lovely cage, love what you've done with the place...*SQUUEEEE*! is that a persian rug?

FABULOUS DARLING!

Kurai Angelo said:
Oh look, Geaorge Lucas still trying to milk his cash cow by bringing back DEAD CHARACTERS just so he can make more shitty plastic toys to sell.
People forget that Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back as a franchise is in fact, a toy line and its made for kids.

Its why Lucas keeps retconning the crap out of it, he didn't realise how popular Boba Fett would become after the incredibly detailed toy came out so he retconned the story for him to survive, and then made the entire stormtroopers clones of him.

Lucas didn't realise how popular Darth Maul would be, so he's doing "a boba fett" to him.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Irridium said:
Well a lightsaber is a high heat plasmaish type weapon....

So the cut would be in fact...a whats that word when you seal a wound via heat...

yeah that one...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Meh I don't consider the Clone Wars series to be all that canon, beside I read Wookiepedia that they made a clone of him so that would please some fans out there.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
LostCrusader said:
Okay, Palpatine I know of, but what stories were Vader and Thrawn brought back from the dead in? I know there were some books written after the Thrawn trilogy that took place before he died, but I've never heard anything about him coming back from the dead. Same thing with Vader; I think I would have heard of it if something as major as his death was ret-conned in the EU.

As for this decision, I'd much prefer it if they made the story about Darth Maul being killed by Uncle Owen canon. I haven't actually read it, but it would fit in nicely with the early (I mean starting in 1977) EU portrayals of Uncle Owen, where he was supposed to be Obi Wan's half brother, and was pretty badass in his own right when it came to things like holding off Sand People raiding parties. There was even a line in the original novel (and the radio play) of Star Wars where Obi Wan said that Owen could hold off a whole raiding party with a single blaster. I could see a man like that putting cyborg Darth Maul back down.
With Vader, I was refering to him pretty much burning to death with the lava (main reason I said "dead"). They kind of brought back Thrawn by saying he found one of Palpatine's cloning tanks, although I'm pretty sure they killed him off again before the clone was ready.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh bother. My friend and I watch the cartoon every week, and when the Night Sisters showed Savage the broken crystal image that looked like Maul, we were trying to figure out who it really was. A relative, Maul's combat teacher, Maul's Force ghost. Looks like it was Maul himself though. That's going to bug me. Yes, Star Wars medicine is amazing--except when it's not "For reasons we can't explain, we're losing her." BULL CRAP!! Try any one of the dozens of machines around you!--but no one should be able to come back from what happened to Maul.

Although, if I remember right, there was a comic where Maul was still alive and Luke had to fight him. Or a clone of him. Or a droid/Maul hybrid. I can't remember. I only focus on the books that take place after Return of the Jedi.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Irridium said:
George Lucas probably released an edited version where instead of getting cut in half, he stubs his toe and is forced to bow out of the fight.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
this is worse than that endless parade of emperor clones from the post-return of the jedi novels centered around luke.