Data cap issues?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I tend to hit around 30 GB per month (pretty much around 1GB per day). Ok yes that's little compared to yours but I am paranoid about hitting the cap despite being on a unlimited service (I just never asked what the limit cap is).
My friend however had it worse than me as he watch alot of HD stuff and is on the pc 24/7.

As for what making me reach that memory sizes, I sometime listen to alot of songs online (I don't download it) and some videoes when I'm bored.

Now I think about it my parent now got into watching live stream channel online which I think they can make around 200 MB or more and that's not including to when my bro, uncle or whoever is sleeping over that are using the net aswell.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
Lal I would hit 250GB in half a month. So far this month I'm at 190GB of Data used =| Thank god Time Warner Cable no longer has data caps.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Somehow the cap never really worried me, when it was 20GB per month the internet was too slow to actually use it up and after a few years i've been given unlimited cap for my loyalty as a customer and the speed increased up to 100Mbps over the years. Last month i downloaded/uploaded only 43GB's and its mostly from downloading some anime and TV shows in HD.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
My cap is 200 GB, and with me, my brother, sister, and parents, we usually rack up about 80-100 GB a month pretty easily. Then again, Telstra are still greedy shitbags, since it costs $90 a month for the 200 jiggabytes. Even if we do go over, we still get 'unlimited' internet, just slow as balls.
Captcha: Umbrella Corporation. Ummmmmmm... Is Telstra... Ohhhhhhhh shit.

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
I get 60Gb for $60 and I break it every month and if I don't I am within 1gb of it. I have around 3 youtubers who upload 1+ video a day and 10+ who release 1+ a week so that takes up heaps. I also play online games most days.
I am lucky that internode has around 30+ IPs I can download steam games through, so they don't go towards my cap, I would die otherwise.

A couple of years ago I lived in USA for 3 months, and to adjust to having a cap when I got home was the one of the hardest things to do, and has left me bitter towards Australian ISPs.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Tubez said:
Uber Evil said:
I've got 100/10Mbit without cap and it's around 11MB/s

Edit:
According to this article in 2011, 56% of all americans had caps on their internet
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/05/56-of-americans-have-internet-data-caps-fcc-asked-to-investigate/
Wow. Huh. Also, do you live in a city or something?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Uber Evil said:
Tubez said:
Uber Evil said:

Edit:
According to this article in 2011, 56% of all americans had caps on their internet
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/05/56-of-americans-have-internet-data-caps-fcc-asked-to-investigate/
Yep I live in Stockholm(The capital of Sweden) and I pay 75kr[11$] for it

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Tubez said:
Uber Evil said:
Tubez said:
Uber Evil said:

Edit:
Why is America's internet so sucky :(. You're so lucky.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'm in the US, but I've got Brighthouse, so there's no cap on my internet[footnote]They tried it at one point, but there was a huge backlash and it only went in in one test market before being pulled[/footnote]. That said, 11.5 gigs sounds /way/ low for a year. Speaking as a PC gamer, I've been known to burn that much bandwidth downloading a single game on Steam. Also, from what I've heard, 50-100 gigs a month is a more typical cap size. There are games these days that take upwards of 30 gigs to download, so you can imagine how quickly a gamer could burn through one of those. Heck, a typical half hour .flv file is about 50 megs, and an hour long one is usually between 75 and 300. It's not too hard to burn through a data cap on streaming video alone.

Edit: that's standard def, too. I have no idea how big a 720 or 1080P .flv file would be, but I'd imagine the answer would be "pretty big."

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Uber Evil said:
Tubez said:
Uber Evil said:
Tubez said:
Uber Evil said:

Edit:
Why is America's internet so sucky :(. You're so lucky.
Well I guess it's cheaper for us to fix our infrastructure since most people lives in a few big cities for an example 25% of swedens pop lives in Stockholm and they get a lot of money from the state for installing fiber. And because of that pretty much everyone can get 100/100mbit in Stockholm and they are starting to roll out 1gbit/s to a lot of people as well, but yes I'm happy :)

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm in the US, but I've got Brighthouse, so there's no cap on my internet[footnote]They tried it at one point, but there was a huge backlash and it only went in in one test market before being pulled[/footnote]. That said, 11.5 gigs sounds /way/ low for a year. Speaking as a PC gamer, I've been known to burn that much bandwidth downloading a single game on Steam. Also, from what I've heard, 50-100 gigs a month is a more typical cap size. There are games these days that take upwards of 30 gigs to download, so you can imagine how quickly a gamer could burn through one of those. Heck, a typical half hour .flv file is about 50 megs, and an hour long one is usually between 75 and 300. It's not too hard to burn through a data cap on streaming video alone.

Edit: that's standard def, too. I have no idea how big a 720 or 1080P .flv file would be, but I'd imagine the answer would be "pretty big."
True blue ray rips can be 44GB per movie

felbot

May 11, 2011
i dont think i have any cap really , thank god for that, can only imagine the pain of having a certain limit on INTERNET.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i got like 100 GB with my ISP. only gone over it once, but that fee got waved, did get a nice warning letter saying "we'll spot you this time, but not next time" along with the details of how it worked

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
This household (5 people who use the internet every day for gaming, music, downloads etc) easily surpasses 250g a month. We had to get two lines going so we'd have enough space before hitting the cap. I think right now we do about 300+g a month.

It still baffles me to wonder how we're actually using that much, but I suppose game downloads/streaming and movies take up a bigger amount that it seems to me.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
I do not think we have such a limit in our connection. According to the router logs, we use about 150GB per month. That probably includes HUGE NAS-to-NAS transfers between my brother and me, I guess.

death525

Aug 29, 2009
Actually, my household has been getting angry emails from TKS saying we have gone over 100 GB for the past 2 months even though we signed up for UNLIMITED internet as part of our contract.

George Barrow

Sep 5, 2011
Total LOLige said:
hazabaza1 said:
250GB a month is a really big limit. Seriously, I have uncapped internet, pretty frequently download games from steam and mods for games and stuff and don't get that much. I think your cap is just unusually high.
I think the reason the UK has a uncapped data is because our data rate per second is pretty fucking low, they've got a lot of making up to do. I could tell a story about how the slow rates are BTs fault but that's a story for another time.

OT: Just think about it avid gamers that download via Steam will hit that cap quick. If they download 25 games(average file size of 10gb possibly 16gb then it's about 15 games) from Steam that month they've used it all up. That's without streaming services like Netflix. I'm meant to get a speed of up to 10mb/s but I barely reach 1.2mb/s the highest I've gotten is 1.4mb/s, I can't download shit on that speed. That speed can't handle two xboxes streaming Netflix and a laptop playing Facebook games simultaneously. I think UK ISPs are a bit shit when it comes to the "get up to" speed because when I was on a tariff that had a supposed speed of 20mb/s it peaked at 5mb/s. Americans have got it lucky.
When BT x-finity comes in apparently we will be getting something in the likes to 78mb/s
But that is where it caps

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
I had to upgrade to Comcast business class a few years ago. I was DESTROYING my 250 cap. I registered consecutive months of 600 and 900 gbs used at one point. And they were gonna shut me off permanently. (Comcast was the only provider in Seattle at the time with a cap that high.)

The kindly Caribbean telephone operator told me you can watch however many thousands of movies a month with 250 gbs of data.
To which i replied, "Yeah and what if those movies are 720 or 1080p? The right sized movie can be anywhere from 10 to upwards of 40-50gbs. Or an album in FLAC right from an artist's website that's 1gb. Are you telling me unless that I'm really careful I can only watch 20-25 movies a month?"

"But Sir, The average customer..."

"I am NOT the average customer. I am 23 and make a lot of money. I spend my off time on the internet devouring media. I'm not raising a family or anything like that. Also you do know what "the cloud" is right? That soon your average customer is going to be people like me? With all the roku boxes and hd t.v.s sold recently people aren't gonna sit by and not be able to use them because of a draconian internet provider doesn't understand new technology."

"That's true. How about for now we bump you up to business class and you'll be left alone."

"Sounds good."

Since then Comcast has upped their regular cap to 300gb a month. They know it has to change.

ReadyAmyFire

May 4, 2012
Zantos said:
In Britain we don't really have caps on our ISPs, or at least none I've used, but one of Beardy Branson's soulless deathmongers will cut down your D/UL speed at peak times, or if you're using a lot of bandwidth, or because fuck you that's why. I think the cutting down process involves sacrificing an orphan to the Virgin brand machine cult.

And they're still better than Sky.
My parents home, in the middle of rural Ireland, in an area officially described as 'an area of severe social deprivation' get a constant 2Mbps, hasn't been down once (excluding powercuts) since 2003.

Me, here, in the centre of Belfast, the second largest city on the island, not a 5 minute walk from the switch, barely twice that and it goes down about 3 or 4 times at peak times. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go down and break their cheap Chinese router over their Virgin heads.

On the topic of caps though, my friends are on a 5GB cap (they went for the cheapest option not knowing how stupidly small that is). I think it's incredibly unfair considering a large fraction of the content on websites these days is advertisements.

MelasZepheos said:
stuck in Belfast
That's actually the official term for anyone visiting here. I hate this city.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
We have no upper limit in our house but if you download above a certain amount it decreases your download speed. The cap to lower the limit is something like 7GB from 6:00 to 18:00 then 3GB from 18:00 to 0:00.
It sucks because what with Steam, Youtube and tonns of mods I constantly hit the cap and my Internet slows.