Datamining Reveals Overwatch Anniversary Loot Boxes and Game of the Year Edition

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Datamining Reveals Overwatch Anniversary Loot Boxes and Game of the Year Edition

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329609.jpgDigging around in the Xbox Store has revealed the next Overwatch loot boxes and more.

It's been almost a year since Overwatch launched, so with the anniversary of Blizzard's team-based shooter looming, it makes sense that the company might be planning something to celebrate. What are they planning? Well, the folks over at True Achievements [https://www.trueachievements.com/products/25937/Overwatch-Game-of-the-Year-Edition] think they've figured it out. That site is known for scanning and datamining the Xbox Store for new games and information, and they've uncovered new loot boxes and a new edition of the game.

First up is Overwatch Game of the Year Edition. This shouldn't be a huge surprise, as Overwatch was showered with GOTY awards last year. It seems that this will likely replace the existing Origins Edition, as it is listed to contain all the same goodies (Tracer for Heroes of the Storm, baby Winston pet for WoW, the Origin skins, etc.). There is one additional perk, though. The GOTY Edition will pack in 10 bonus loot boxes. Its release date is currently listed for May 23 - the day before Overwatch turns one.

Also dug up in this datamining pass were Overwatch Anniversary Loot Boxes. These loot boxes reportedly contain 100 new items to collect, with the Anniversary event ending on June 5. If previous events are any guide, the event will likely run three weeks, putting its launch around next Tuesday, May 16.

We'll likely hear more about this event in the very near future, especially if this information turns out to be accurate.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Just going to be a pain here, and point out that what true achievements does is not datamining, it is closer to decompiling the resources files. Datamining in computer software has another very specific, very different meaning.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Mighty nice of them to introduce new players to the game's loot system by giving them 10 boxes worth of white and blue sprays and taunts in that GOTY edition!

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
You know, I think I'm gonna skip buying lootboxes for this one.

It's a little ridiculous when a comprehensive list of permanent cosmetic items added to the game since launch consists of exactly two items.

In contrast, every temporary event has had hundreds of items; sprays, icons, skins, etc.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:

It's a little ridiculous when a comprehensive list of permanent cosmetic items added to the game since launch consists of exactly two items.

In contrast, every temporary event has had hundreds of items; sprays, icons, skins, etc.
i'm hoping that the anniversary event is different in that it adds permanent items; we've heard word that there are new skins coming for certain characters, and if they (generally Jeff Kaplan) were referring to whatever's coming up in this event, i'd be sad if they were yet another seasonal thing.

that said i haven't bought lootboxes since... maybe Christmas? and i still have just about everything i want for all the characters i play. but i do play the game a lot.

i'm looking forward to seeing what's gonna be added this update. the only thing i've been disappointed by, so far, is the lack of attention for certain characters, but some of the neglected ones are getting love soon.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
SlumlordThanatos said:

I count four skins (two cross promotional), a handful of sprays (all but one cross promotional) and a player icon (hey, guess what? cross promotional).

Though having said that, i'm against buying lootboxes on principal. The fact that I'm unemployed also makes spending real money on what's basically unfairly weighted gambling for game cosmetics even more of a waste.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Im looking forward to the event. I dont play enough to get all of the new stuff but I save my coins between events and buy a couple of skins plus whatever drops randomly in loot boxes.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
loot boxes. they never give you what you really want. especially it sucks that some of the content are only available through these special events and once they are over, you never ever get them.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SirSullymore said:
Another Overwatch event, another batch of people bitching about loot boxes.
Yeah, because my credit wallet is empty from the last event and I doubt I'll have time to build it up again to 3,000 if there's a s legendary that I want, so I'll have to either rely on the RNG that was very unkind to me last time around or pay money for it, something I refuse to do on principle. So either I become a shut in and don't go to either of my jobs for the current event, get seriously lucky, or just miss out on a really good legendary skin that will taunt me every time I see someone else using it.

So yes, I am bitching about this and I fail to see why that's a bad thing.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I fail to see why it's a good thing, especially when about a quarter of the comments on any Overwatch article are "Boo lootboxes!", it's growing quite tedious.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Oh man, I was afraid of this and at the same time I'm excited. I hoped for a birthday event, but I am so not immune against getting all the skins and highlight intros... Hopefully not every character gets something new or I'll probably sleep under a bridge.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
SirSullymore said:
Another Overwatch event, another batch of people bitching about loot boxes.
I know...do any of them just ...play? Loot boxes are nice but to me they aren't really a do or die factor...

Skins are nice to look at on the play of the game and victory screen but no other time. And emotes and voice lines are cheap enough to pay for by playing and are more fun for player interaction.

Maybe I just get lucky with loot boxes, even today I had a double legendary loot box.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SirSullymore said:
I fail to see why it's a good thing, especially when about a quarter of the comments on any Overwatch article are "Boo lootboxes!", it's growing quite tedious.
I just explained why. Players don't liked getting screwed over. If you think we aren't, fine, but kindly don't mock us for taking issue with bull like this.

And if you're going to reply to me, properly quote me please.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SirSullymore said:
erttheking said:
SirSullymore said:
I just explained why. Players don't liked getting screwed over. If you think we aren't, fine, but kindly don't mock us for taking issue with bull like this.

Oh my apologies, is this better?

Anyway, I was trying to be nice, but you're acting like an ass so whateves.

*ahem* BIZZARD IS NEVER GOING TO REMOVE LOOTBOXES! SO THE CONSTANT MOANING ABOUT NOT GETTING EVERYTHING YOU WANT ALL THE TIME ISN'T DOING ANYTHING BUT ILLUSTRATING HOW SPOILED YOU ARE!

I'm sick of of listening to what seems like half the OW community constantly whine like little babies because they get their precious skins. Have you heard the term "you can't always get what you want"? Now if this was about something more valid, I would sympathize, but the skins are literally pointless other than looking cool in highlight intros and victory screens for the first couple of days after you get it (as Charli pointed out). They're not even that difficult to get! I don't play OW constantly (I'm level 320 so I feel like I'm around the middle, maybe upper middle, in terms of time played. Correct me if you feel I'm wrong) but by the end of the Uprising Event I had 6000 coins to play with and by the end of the Anniversary event I'm sure I'll have over 3K (assuming it lasts the typical 3ish weeks).
You've got a funny definition of nice.

Wanting everything to be included in the price of entry and not wanting to be Nickel and dimed. Oh yes, I'm so spoiled.

And I'm sick of people telling me to stop complaining about loot boxes. But for some reason I should shut up while you're free to keep complaining to your heart's content.

Well good for you. I didn't. I barely got the 3000 I needed for combat medic mercy at the he last second. Maybe stop judging everyone by your standards? We want those skins because they're pretty much the only thing you can get from progress in this game and it creates a situation of have and have nots. Doubly so when it's limited time events.

I'm only in the low one hundreds because I get burnt out if I play one game for too long. Like I obsessively grind in a fucking limited time event for battle medic mercy in a last minute rush.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
erttheking said:
SirSullymore said:
erttheking said:
SirSullymore said:

*ahem* BIZZARD IS NEVER GOING TO REMOVE LOOTBOXES! SO THE CONSTANT MOANING ABOUT NOT GETTING EVERYTHING YOU WANT ALL THE TIME ISN'T DOING ANYTHING BUT ILLUSTRATING HOW SPOILED YOU ARE!

I'm sick of of listening to what seems like half the OW community constantly whine like little babies because they get their precious skins. Have you heard the term "you can't always get what you want"? Now if this was about something more valid, I would sympathize, but the skins are literally pointless other than looking cool in highlight intros and victory screens for the first couple of days after you get it (as Charli pointed out). They're not even that difficult to get! I don't play OW constantly (I'm level 320 so I feel like I'm around the middle, maybe upper middle, in terms of time played. Correct me if you feel I'm wrong) but by the end of the Uprising Event I had 6000 coins to play with and by the end of the Anniversary event I'm sure I'll have over 3K (assuming it lasts the typical 3ish weeks).
Oh my God, I just said "More people bitching about lootboxes". You're the one who got all butthurt about it.

erttheking said:
Wanting everything to be included in the price of entry and not wanting to be Nickel and dimed. Oh yes, I'm so spoiled.
Well, reading the back of the box it doesn't say "UNLIMITED FREE SKINS THE SECOND YOU WANT THEM!" any where, so it's not like you were sold on them. You were sold on a fun team based shooter with 21 heroes (with more FREE heroes to come) and 12 maps (with more FREE maps to come) Also, it's not nickled and dimed, all the skins are free, you just have to be smart and a bit lucky.

erttheking said:
And I'm sick of people telling me to stop complaining about loot boxes. But for some reason I should shut up while you're free to keep complaining to your heart's content.
Protip: I'll stop complaining if you stop complaining. Also, come on, you honestly think the number of people who complain about loot boxes and the people who complain about the complainers are comparable? Jim Fucking Sterling Son did an entire video bitching about the OW lootboxes.

erttheking said:
Well good for you. I didn't. I barely got the 3000 I needed for combat medic mercy at the he last second. Maybe stop judging everyone by your standards?
Sorry I hold everyone to the same standards I hold myself (btw that standard isn't "play a bunch until you have enough coins" it's "don't endlessly complain when you don't get everything you want.")

erttheking said:
We want those skins because they're pretty much the only thing you can get from progress in this game and it creates a situation of have and have nots. Doubly so when it's limited time events.
So wait, you like this because it's a progression system but you want it to be overly easy to progress? Anyway, I play online games for the online game part, I guess I'm just lucky to be wired that way. Also this converstation should ONLY apply to time limited stuff, literally everything else in the game is guaranteed to be obtainable just by playing normally. Also, is't creating a system of have and have nots kind of the point of rare loot?

erttheking said:
I'm only in the low one hundreds because I get burnt out if I play one game for too long. Like I obsessively grind in a fucking limited time event for battle medic mercy in a last minute rush.
Hey that sucks, I'd give you my coins if I could, but cest la vie.

So yeah, feel free to piss into the ocean, but you can't stop me from pissing into the ocean of piss.

EDIT: Hey neat! My first Escapist warning!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SirSullymore said:
erttheking said:
SirSullymore said:
erttheking said:
SirSullymore said:

Oh my God, I just said "More people bitching about lootboxes". You're the one who got all butthurt about it.

erttheking said:
Well, reading the back of the box it doesn't say "UNLIMITED FREE SKINS THE SECOND YOU WANT THEM!" any where, so it's not like you were sold on them. You were sold on a fun team based shooter with 21 heroes (with more FREE heroes to come) and 12 maps (with more FREE maps to come) Also, it's not nickled and dimed, all the skins are free, you just have to be smart and a bit lucky.

erttheking said:
Protip: I'll stop complaining if you stop complaining. Also, come on, you honestly think the number of people who complain about loot boxes and the people who complain about the complainers are comparable? Jim Fucking Sterling Son did an entire video bitching about the OW lootboxes.

erttheking said:
Well good for you. I didn't. I barely got the 3000 I needed for combat medic mercy at the he last second. Maybe stop judging everyone by your standards?
Sorry I hold everyone to the same standards I hold myself (btw that standard isn't "play a bunch until you have enough coins" it's "don't endlessly complain when you don't get everything you want.")

erttheking said:
We want those skins because they're pretty much the only thing you can get from progress in this game and it creates a situation of have and have nots. Doubly so when it's limited time events.
So wait, you like this because it's a progression system but you want it to be overly easy to progress? Anyway, I play online games for the online game part, I guess I'm just lucky to be wired that way. Also this converstation should ONLY apply to time limited stuff, literally everything else in the game is guaranteed to be obtainable just by playing normally. Also, is't creating a system of have and have nots kind of the point of rare loot?

erttheking said:
I'm only in the low one hundreds because I get burnt out if I play one game for too long. Like I obsessively grind in a fucking limited time event for battle medic mercy in a last minute rush.[

Hey that sucks, I'd give you my coins if I could, but cest la vie.

So yeah, feel free to piss into the ocean, but you can't stop me from pissing into the ocean of piss.

EDIT: Hey neat! My first Escapist warning!
Yeah, how dare I not like being accused of bitching for being mad at anti consumer practices.

Yeah, how silly of me. Not wanting micro transactions in a game that charges full retail price. Here's a better idea. I already paid for the fucking game. Don't try and temp me (and that's the thing about microtranactions, your patience is always under siege) and then say "well you don't HAVE to buy it." They want to tear down my defenses and fuck that. Or did you tell people who were upset at the Auction House the same thing.

Less that you're complaining and more that you're insulting me. It's not that you don't care about it, it's that you accused me of bitching.

I don't like a single fucking thing about this. We just want it because it's the only reward in the game. This game's progression system fucking sucks. The balance in the weapon dropping? Total garbage. Guess I should've seen this coming from Blizzard "auction house" Entertainment.

Am I free to do it or do you want me to shut up? Make up your fucking mind.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I didn't insult you! I had no idea you existed until you responded, not my fault you took offense.

The term anit-consumer practice gets thrown around so much it's lost all meaning for me, I personally don't find this to be anti-consumer but A LOT of people do so what do I know?

Listen, you feel very strongly about this, I really don't (or at least not enough to keep going) so lets just call this a win for you? I'm kind of done arguing.

"Am I free to do it or do you want me to shut up? Make up your fucking mind."

Umm, you do realize those things are not mutually exclusive right? Like, I can want you stop complaining about lootboxes but recognize you are free to do so, no? I never once said you (or anyone, for some reason you took this very personally) should not have the freedom to complain.

Also, no, I did not "properly quote" you. Neener neener neener.