David Jaffe gives in to bad IGN review, tunes down "offensive" content in his videogame

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Wow, that's one of the ugliest games I've ever seen... and I played Papers, Please.

Also, someone posted a video here and I was skipping around it and the reviewer pretty much sums it up "Nothing about this offends me, I just think it's stupid." And it really is. It's just embarrassingly bad.

There's also a "meme" I guess? that says "I'LL KEEL YOUR FAAAACE!!" and some shitty sprites, and the character is some sharklady in a thong, what the hell is this... It's just trying so hard. Is this supposed to be cool, or funny? I mean, I don't care if the game is offensive, the T-Rex boner line isn't even offensive, it's just bad.

The guy complaining about the game in the video makes it funny. The game itself... I'm pretty sure I don't have PS+ anymore, and even if I did... no thanks.

So sure, if the developer thinks he can change some of this and make it better, why not?

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Nature Guardian said:
Death Carr said:
I don't know how to broach this
on one hand, I think that no creator should "give in" to criticism and change something to please critics
on the other hand, I think that creators should listen to criticism and take that criticism to heat (to a degree)

I think that games need to change to match the times they're created in
so for the modern day, where people have actually learned that being unnecessarily offensive isn't the best way to attract people to your title, maybe tone down the 90s style over the top offensiveness
because it isn't the 90s anymore

I am sorry you are right.

In the 90s people made poop and sex jokes.

Modern kids want antisemitic jokes.

They should have replaced the boner dialogue with a "kill all Jews" line. Or maybe an internet meme. Or Donald Trump.

We have EVOLVED you guys.
I mean

I don't recall mentioning antisemitism
or memes
or donald trump

But I think I misunderstood what you consider offensive
cause in your other thread you talked about the game being offensive and so thats what I thought it was
but it sounds like the game is just juvenile
so idk
maybe people think games should be a mature medium
or maybe David Jaffe agreed that it was too over the top and annoying
and so he toned down the content to match

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
Wintermute said:
Wow, that's one of the ugliest games I've ever seen... and I played Papers, Please.

Also, someone posted a video here and I was skipping around it and the reviewer pretty much sums it up "Nothing about this offends me, I just think it's stupid." And it really is. It's just embarrassingly bad.

There's also a "meme" I guess? that says "I'LL KEEL YOUR FAAAACE!!" and some shitty sprites, and the character is some sharklady in a thong, what the hell is this... It's just trying so hard. Is this supposed to be cool, or funny? I mean, I don't care if the game is offensive, the T-Rex boner line isn't even offensive, it's just bad.

The guy complaining about the game in the video makes it funny. The game itself... I'm pretty sure I don't have PS+ anymore, and even if I did... no thanks.

So sure, if the developer thinks he can change some of this and make it better, why not?

So, since I LOVE the style of the game, and the sharklady in a thong is my favorite character, does it mean I am stupid? Juvenile?

No, it just means my tastes are not yours.

I think South Park and Family Guy are horrible and depressing, with disgusting drawings and negative messages.

Yet hey, millions of people apparently find those "funny".

This is For Honor all over again. Apparently I am quite literally the only person in this forum who has certain tastes. From now on, when someone here says a game is bad, I'm going to try it out immediately - I'll probably love it.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Nature Guardian said:
Apparently I am quite literally the only person in this forum who has certain tastes. From now on, when someone here says a game is bad, I'm going to try it out immediately - I'll probably love it.
While you're at it, how about that link?

Or maybe, I should phrase it differently: "Man, you'd totally HATE providing proof for what you said!"

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
So the question that really should be addressed is "where is the line between responding to valid criticism and pandering to outside pressure to change to be drawn?"

How do we tell one from the other? Why are we immediately jumping to one conclusion over another? To me it seems like people have their camps set up ahead of time on these things and don't want to actually examine the elements that influence these decisions.

Unless the creator says it himself how about we not jump to the worst possible conclusions?

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
Trooper924 said:
Incidently, here's IGN's review for those curious.

The stuff about the game's humor is in the second half of the article. Interestingly, the author's objections to it are less about it being offensive overall and more that it was overbearingly mean-spirited.

I find this game to be CHEERFUL, not offensive.

Do you know whats offensive? South Park. Family Guy. Pewdiepie and most youtube personalities.

And I think that is the issue. This game is not mean-spirited. It has a kind of naivety that worked in the 90s, not in today's society which is equally overly sensitive and in need of the cruelest provocations.

I have played today and found out they changed the line in which the announcer says "man, last place.... you should probably consider suicide at this point" into a politically correct "man, last place..... that must feel horrible".

Pussies.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
undeadsuitor said:
Nature Guardian said:
Trooper924 said:
Incidently, here's IGN's review for those curious.

The stuff about the game's humor is in the second half of the article. Interestingly, the author's objections to it are less about it being offensive overall and more that it was overbearingly mean-spirited.

I find this game to be CHEERFUL, not offensive.

Do you know whats offensive? South Park. Family Guy. Pewdiepie and most youtube personalities.

And I think that is the issue. This game is not mean-spirited. It has a kind of naivety that worked in the 90s, not in today's society which is equally overly sensitive and in need of the cruelest provocations.

I have played today and found out they changed the line in which the announcer says "man, last place.... you should probably consider suicide at this point" into a politically correct "man, last place..... that must feel horrible".

Pussies.
"This game is CHEERFUL"

"The game actively encourages players to commit suicide "

????
Hard to explain if you havent played it. Context is everything.

Imagine the phrase "you asshole!". Without context, it's an insult.
In the context between two friends, when one makes a comment to joke, the other friend may answer "you asshole!" while laughing.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Lets see personally I like that jackass and that tutorial had the best troll moment ever so kudos for that. Also the my problem with the announcer he talked tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Not the content but the voice just got grating.

The real problems with the game are character balance cause Ed Gein Mickey Mouse and Diabla tend to murk in matches. And the weapon balance is a joke. Top 5 weapons laser gun, laser gun, laser gun, laser gun and laser gun. I love the look like I can pick out in a crowd easy but damn some gameplay mechanic change up would be helpful.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
Jarrito3001 said:
Lets see personally I like that jackass and that tutorial had the best troll moment ever so kudos for that. Also the my problem with the announcer he talked tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Not the content but the voice just got grating.

The real problems with the game are character balance cause Ed Gein Mickey Mouse and Diabla tend to murk in matches. And the weapon balance is a joke. Top 5 weapons laser gun, laser gun, laser gun, laser gun and laser gun. I love the look like I can pick out in a crowd easy but damn some gameplay mechanic change up would be helpful.

For about two weeks I only ever used the JRPG because of the homing missiles, however I now discovered other weapons can offer more - they are just more difficult to use.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
After some years in Warhammer 40k games, the Ultramarines would ask kindly to softly put their guns to the orks heads and pull as slow as possible the trigger while they telling them with sad faces "I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry..."

For fuck sake. Grow some testicles [even women] and go with the natural flow of a game.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
SweetShark said:
For fuck sake. Grow some testicles [even women] and go with the natural flow of a game.

Nooooo, we've gotta remove anything that's even remotely offensive, even when it's meant as a joke.

Let's immediately cancel South Park and similar series, let's erase every violent videogame ever (99% of videogames, that is), let's remove any movie with provocative content.

Gotta make sure nobody's offended. With fascism.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
DoPo said:
Nature Guardian said:
Do you know whats offensive?
You outright refusing to provide any proof to your words.

Nature Guardian said:
not in today's society which is equally overly sensitive and in need of the cruelest provocations.
Oh, OK, let's see if I can express my self better: "You fucking suck at providing any source to your words. I'm not even mad, I'm disappointed - that's quite a feat, when my expectations were literally rock bottom, but you somehow managed to go even lower. Go fucking kill yourself, you loser."

Is this sufficient?

Do you even know the difference between a prerecorded videogame message in an over-the-top dark comedy setting..... and insulting a specific person on a forum?

Because if you can't tell the difference, I can see why you'd want that stuff censored.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Nature Guardian said:
I can see why you'd want that stuff censored.
Pray tell, when have I expressed that I wanted that?

I've literally only been asking you to provide proof. You never did that, so I started using cues from what you said to encourage you. You said that you would do the opposite of people told you, so I told you to not provide that link. You said that society apparently needs "cruelest provocations" and I used harsh language.

If you can't tell the difference between asking to prove what you say is true and "wanting censorship", then I can very well see why you wouldn't want to provide such proof. Most likely because it doesn't exist.
[sup][sup][sup][sup]I'm eager to see how you'd try to twist this again into not providing proof: accuse me of attacking you or being "a hater"? Explain yet again how you like the game? Say how you won't talk to me because I don't deserve it or whatever?[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
If he wasn't attacked, then there is nothing wrong. It's their choice to make changes where they feel it's necessary. You can just make a new review discussing how their original dialogue was superior.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I don't have anything wrong with the games content in general, it's just so repetitive, it could have been spread across the game a little better instead of shotgunned directly into every facet of it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I actually think Nature bringing up southpark is excellent. Because the first seasons were fixated with poop jokes, gay jokes and relentless swearing. After a short time they realised shocking offense humour needs substance. Ditched a lot of the nonsense and started writing topical episodes mixing satire with pushing the boundaries and got much better (though milage still varies).

Kind of works against him since the product he's defending sounds like the "before" example though.