Dawn of Justice Breaks Another Record!

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Choo choo, all aboard the train to being one of the biggest flops in cinema history!
According to Box Office Mojo, it's just about recouped it's budget as of now. Less than DC was hoping for, I'm sure, but it's hardly the next Battlefield Earth or Pluto Nash.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Veylon said:
MarsAtlas said:
Choo choo, all aboard the train to being one of the biggest flops in cinema history!
According to Box Office Mojo, it's just about recouped it's budget as of now. Less than DC was hoping for, I'm sure, but it's hardly the next Battlefield Earth or Pluto Nash.
But I thought according to Hollywood Accounting, you need to make more than your budget for a movie to be considered to be successful?
If this is the case, then it's just a disappointment.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
MarsAtlas said:

You know, I kind of want to say that they deserve it just for being so stupid.
Unfortunately, studios have a history of learning the wrong lessons from failures.
When Mars Needs Moms flopped, they rebranded John Carter of Mars as John Carter, because they thought audiences didn't want to see mars. The bland title surely hurt its performance.

When Green Lantern flopped, DC thought it was because it was jokey, and vowed not to let anything mirthful into any of their productions.
DC/WB will learn the wrong lesson from this.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Answer me this, Escapist:

Was Wonder Woman at least done well? I couldn't give a shit less about Superman, and Batman is already super played out 14 times over. I just want to know if Wonder Woman, as my favorite DC hero, is worth the price of admission to this debauchery, since no one ever seems to mention her in complains.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Antonio Torrente said:
Veylon said:
MarsAtlas said:
But I thought according to Hollywood Accounting, you need to make more than your budget for a movie to be considered to be successful?
If this is the case, then it's just a disappointment.
I should correct myself: it's almost breaking even on the domestic proceeds. The foreign ones are even higher.

$224M (domestic) + $363M (foreign) = $587M (total) vs $250M budget nets a gross profit of $337M. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at. But movies have to more than break even to be successful. A good deal of advertising money was spent. The movie has a parent company to keep in business. There's the next movie coming along that needs cash to fund. And, of course, the egos running the place have their own inflated expectations and may assign blame even if the movie makes enough cash to drown in.

Whatever troubles this movie has (I have no desire to see it), it's not outright bombing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Veylon said:
MarsAtlas said:
Box Office Mojo deals in gross numbers. Gross is basically how many tickets times the price of the ticket. The exact amount a studio gets off a ticket isn't set in stone, but it's nowhere near full price. The standard estimate seems to be around .30 USD per dollar, which is why there were estimates that they needed 800 million USD just to break even. But wait, there's more. The international "dollar" isn't necessarily as valuable, and depending on where the tickets are sold, it might be significantly less.

Additionally, the production costs listed on BOM pages doesn't include promotion, a reported 150 million USD more. Which could mean they need to make something like 3 times the figure of 400 million USD to break even. That's 1.2 billion. That means it has to do Avengers figures in this scenario.

Now, a lot of that is ballparks. But Warner/DC clearly has a lot riding on this. And they're definitely not out of the wood yes.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Veylon said:
MarsAtlas said:
Box Office Mojo deals in gross numbers. Gross is basically how many tickets times the price of the ticket. The exact amount a studio gets off a ticket isn't set in stone, but it's nowhere near full price. The standard estimate seems to be around .30 USD per dollar, which is why there were estimates that they needed 800 million USD just to break even. But wait, there's more. The international "dollar" isn't necessarily as valuable, and depending on where the tickets are sold, it might be significantly less.

Additionally, the production costs listed on BOM pages doesn't include promotion, a reported 150 million USD more. Which could mean they need to make something like 3 times the figure of 400 million USD to break even. That's 1.2 billion. That means it has to do Avengers figures in this scenario.

Now, a lot of that is ballparks. But Warner/DC clearly has a lot riding on this. And they're definitely not out of the wood yes.
Assuming they manage to succeed on this, do you guys think they will ever learn for follow-up movies they are currently shooting?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Antonio Torrente said:
Assuming they manage to succeed on this, do you guys think they will ever learn for follow-up movies they are currently shooting?
I think part of it depends on how much they succeed by. Or even how much they fail by. They've invested a lot in the DCEU, and a near failure or near success might prompt them to change course in order to salvage it. A massive failure will probably kill the movies, and with a massive success, they won't have to learn.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've been trying to find out how it fared this week, but there have been no articles on it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
MeatMachine said:

Was Wonder Woman at least done well? I couldn't give a shit less about Superman, and Batman is already super played out 14 times over. I just want to know if Wonder Woman, as my favorite DC hero, is worth the price of admission to this debauchery, since no one ever seems to mention her in complains.
Her action is good. Aaaannnddd that's pretty much all we know. I also enjoy her theme song.

Diana Prince is just kinda... there. It also really depends on which WW version you prefer. The one that is unaccustomed to the real world, the intimidating warrior, or the wise, composed Amazonian princess?

Of the three, she shows in the Doomsday fight that she enjoys a good fight, and has been in a lot of them. She also acts a little sly, you get the feeling that she knows a lot more than anyone else in the room. In that way, the BvS Wonder Woman is a combination of the last two versions of Wonder Woman.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
It also set the record for the most kills made by Batman in a movie or comic book. Which is also now the record number of kills he's made with a gun too.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
I haven't seen it (yet) but despite the rough reviews, I'm still interested in seeing it.

I'm dying this weekend (this F'ing cough just won't go away) so assuming I survive, I do plan on going to see it in theaters (worst case I'll Redbox it but I do want to see it on the big screen). I'm more hopeful that I'll like it despite the reviews because I am one of six people who liked "Man of Steel" but we shall see...
If it makes you feel better Man of Steel had plenty of great scenes. They all just went on about 6 seconds too long and fucked up what they set up. Like Clark deciding to crucify a guy's truck because he was mean to him. Up until that moment it was one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a Superman movie. It then became one of the worst.

Johnny Novgorod said:
MarsAtlas said:
A movie that recuperates 235% of its $250 million budget in 7 days is a flop?
They obviously want Avengers numbers and these are not Avengers numbers. That's a steep drop in box office. This movie should be doing much better. That's obviously what DC wanted. And this certainly might be making them think twice about those future movies.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Saltyk said:
They obviously want Avengers numbers and these are not Avengers numbers. That's a steep drop in box office. This movie should be doing much better. That's obviously what DC wanted. And this certainly might be making them think twice about those future movies.
I want to say I told you so, but I'm not gonna do it because right now this sad and some delusional DC fans will blame Marvel for this failing. I know this doesn't make any sense but they need something or someone to blame.

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
Despite the deep-seeded cynicism towards this movie, it will likely do just fine for Warner Bros. The estimated weekend drop here is actually pretty darn close to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2. Mind you, that was a very critically acclaimed movie. Opening domestic weekend for it was $169 million, with the following weekend at $47 million. If BvS makes roughly $15 both Saturday and Sunday too, you have nearly the exact box office take for both films. Plus, the movie hardly has any competition until April 15th when The Jungle Book opens.

Mark Hughes from Forbes wrote an article back in February saying it is almost darn impossible for the movie to flop, and he backs it up with a lot of data. Nobody takes into account DVD sales and merchandising either, which this article does. Look, I get a good portion of people didn't like BvS, but your sky is falling predictions will mean nothing in the end. Let it go.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MeatMachine said:

The way she is intruduced is nice, it doesnt feel forced like Aquaman or Cyborg, and since I dont know that much about the character I'll just say that she likes the act of fighting (or at least the act of fighting monsters), like a warrior that likes proving herself in combat, I dont know if that is something normal to her.