Dawn of War III Announced in New Trailer

Neverhoodian

New member
Apr 2, 2008
3,832
0
0
Praise the Emperor!


The whole falling bodies and mound of skulls bit smacks of a Khornate ritual. Perhaps they're teasing Chaos for a fourth faction?
 

Czann

New member
Jan 22, 2014
317
0
0
"Eldar, Space Marines and Orks"

You mean Elves, Humans and Orcs? Warcraft IV confirmed!


Ah well, time to wait for the DLC and expansions.
 

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
264
2
21
Imperial Knights, Eldar titans, Deff-dreads oh my! All we really need now is a Baneblade unleashing eleven barrels of hell and we're all set.

The trailer was a bit corny, but in a good way (suicide idiot marines are back!) and while I'd like either Imperial Guard or Chaos, I'm fine so long as theres ORKS.

GREEN IZ BEST!
 

nomotog_v1legacy

New member
Jun 21, 2013
909
0
0
Gorrath said:
Li Mu said:
I wept. In the name of the God Emperor, our undying lord, I am pleased.
Gorrath said:
By the Emperor's Hands that was fucking cool! My hype level just jumped from "Bored at work" to "Over 9000!" in an instant.

Please be like DoW and now DoW2, please be like DoW and not DoW2, please be like DoW and not DoW2...
There's a strong following for both games. If Relic can balance the two, they will hopefully be onto a winner. Of course, people will then complain that it wasn't 100% like DoW1 or 100% like DoW2, but if those are the games you love, they still exist. They say there will be base building, so that should please many DoW lovers.

Steam states that right now 701 people are playing Soulstorm.
There doesn't seem to be anyone playing the other versions of DoW

400 are playing DoW2
856 are playing DOW2 Retribution

So obviously DoW2 has the bigger following and personally I prefer DoW2 to DoW1, but even if they edge back towards DoW1 I will be happy, as long as they keep all the positive aspects of DoW2.
I just frown at people who just want an updated copy of a previous game. If you love it so much, go play that one. We progress nowhere by just copying the same game over and over. Look at CoD. Boooooring.

As for the video...I wept. The Emperor, blessed be his name, I am pleased.

How they will manage to make all this work AND include Knights is beyond me. But if anyone can do it, Relic can.
Eh, I'm not sure Steam numbers taken as a snapshot are a good indication of the popularity of each game. If you look at the modding community for each game I think that gives a really good sense of popularity as well, especially in how many mods there are for DoW2 who's purpose is to make DoW2 more like DoW.

In any case, I'm not at all against progress or change in my games but I feel like they lost the plot in DoW2's multiplayer because the game wasn't at all designed around that aspect; it was sort of bolted on because the single player was modeled after CoH. There are those who really liked DoW2's multiplayer but I was certainly not one of them. What I would like to see is what they've actually described; base building RTS gameplay with hero mechanics. I liked the evolution of DoW through the expansions (when they stuff wasn't buggy or broken, like Necrons) I wasn't so fond of the revolution that was DoW2, though DoW2's single player was also much more interesting than DOW's.

Both games have their positive aspects but I'd be quite irked if they had come out with another bolted on multiplayer. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case.

Also, why frown at people that want an updated version of a game they love? X-Com was basically an updated version of UFO defense and there was nothing wrong with that. If someone loves a game, why shouldn't they be able to ask for and enjoy more of what they loved with an all new wrapping, units, mechanics ect? Asking for more of what one loved about a previous game does not suggest that they are asking for pure stagnation.
It seems they are taking more of a DoW 1 stance. Going big, bring back base building and going little more simple in some places too. They are including some elements of two too though. They are including super units you can customize and add to your army. (The customization was the part I liked about DoW2)

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
nomotog said:
It seems they are taking more of a DoW 1 stance. Going big, bring back base building and going little more simple in some places too. They are including some elements of two too though. They are including super units you can customize and add to your army. (The customization was the part I liked about DoW2)

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/
Yeah I got a chance to read that and I'm very happy with the intended direction. Some mix of super units with specialized progression and line units beats both DoW's "spam special weapons troops, heavy bolters in every squad" approach and DoW2's "skirmish specialist units" concepts. While I prefer DoW over DoW2, DoW had a LOT that could have been better and I for one hope DoW3 delivers on that potential. Big armies that aren't spam-happy sounds amazing.
 

Silverbeard

New member
Jul 9, 2013
312
0
0
TheFinish said:
Imperial Knights, Eldar titans, Deff-dreads oh my! All we really need now is a Baneblade unleashing eleven barrels of hell and we're all set.

The trailer was a bit corny, but in a good way (suicide idiot marines are back!) and while I'd like either Imperial Guard or Chaos, I'm fine so long as theres ORKS.

GREEN IZ BEST!
BAH! YA SQUEALING RUNT! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT RED IZ BESTEST! CUZ RED GOES FASTA!
I have to admit that I gave up hope that we'd ever see any more DoW after THQ went under. This was a pleasant little surprise.
Maybe all those 40k F2P and mobile games were worth it after all if the Great Games workshop licensing deluge also resulted in us getting Battlefleet Gothic and Dawn of War 3!
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
Barbas said:
Three races this time around, it looks like. I'm holding off for news of where the forces of Chaos managed to get themselves lost, but that trailer was very well done.
There might be more, thos were just the 3 in the trailer, if they are saying there will be huge battles i would assume at least another 2 (Chaos and Imperium most likely.)
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
Buizel91 said:
There might be more, thos were just the 3 in the trailer, if they are saying there will be huge battles i would assume at least another 2 (Chaos and Imperium most likely.)
They seemed to state there were going to be only three, or at least three in the base game, during the shorter trailer at the end of the video. I think they're likely to sell Chaos separately as DLC at a later date, if it is included.
 

The Material Sheep

New member
Nov 12, 2009
339
0
0
Whelp we have wraith knights, and Imperial Knights... Can't wait for El Catalcylsmo in the next expansion. Yeah.... just a little bit stoked that the big boys get to show up in this one, AND the Eldar getting some love. Hopefully we get wraithblades and a full on unique Eldar campaign!
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
Czann said:
"Eldar, Space Marines and Orks"

You mean Elves, Humans and Orcs? Warcraft IV confirmed!


Ah well, time to wait for the DLC and expansions.
A seeming suggestion that Warhammer stole from Warcraft and not the other way around? Careful, or my brethren and I may be forced to cleanse you with holy promethean. Warcraft ripped off Warhammer as much as Warhammer 40k ripped off Dune.
 

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
4,896
0
0
I've never played these games, I have no clue who any of these beings are, and I realize there was no gameplay in that, but damn if it wasn't a great cinematic. Alright Relic, you have my attention.
 

Timedraven 117

New member
Jan 5, 2011
456
0
0
Li Mu said:
Steam states that right now 701 people are playing Soulstorm.
There doesn't seem to be anyone playing the other versions of DoW

400 are playing DoW2
856 are playing DOW2 Retribution

So obviously DoW2 has the bigger following and personally I prefer DoW2 to DoW1, but even if they edge back towards DoW1 I will be happy, as long as they keep all the positive aspects of DoW2.
The reason why it says more people are playing Dow2 than Soulstorm is not because people like DOW's multiplayer less, is because you can only play DOW multiplayer on the latest expansion, Soulstorm. Whereas with DOW2 and Retribution are entirely different games with its own servers.
 

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
601
0
0
No Imperial Guard? Almost puts me off buying at launch.
I've never really liked Space Marines or Orks, so hopefully they'll throw out some new races in quick succession.
 

Wrex Brogan

New member
Jan 28, 2016
803
0
0

Shame Chaos isn't in the trailer, but they've had a habit of hiding Chaos until later on anyway with marketing.

Plus even if there's only 3 playable races, there's a good chance there might be more factions to fight anyway - kinda like how the Necrons were in Winter Assault and the Guardsmen were in Dawn of War 1, long before they were made playable.
 
Sep 24, 2008
2,461
0
0
Minor nitpick first.

... What's the deal with the Space Marines? They are supposed to be built like walking brick shithouses, each and every one of them. They look like skinny cosplayers here.

Now that that's done...

I need to see about loot. I'm a loot whore. I've always have been. The thing that kept me coming to the original Dawn of War II was getting better gear. If we can have skirmishes with our gear, I will never leave my computer. I will take Adeptus Astartes to new heights of Xeno purging, for all must know the Emperor's Mercy.

My hopes are that we're going to get ACTUAL CHAPTERS/CLANS this time around. I don't want a White Scars skin. I want the White Scars. I should be going around in Jet Bikes if I pick the White Scars. I should be less bolter and more power sword if I pick the Black Templar. And I should be doing heavy damage with the Salamanders with all my flamer based weaponry, with better power armor but slower movement speed.
 

Aeshi

New member
Dec 22, 2009
2,640
0
0
Well it's nice to be wrong about the new announcement just being stuff for The Last Stand if nothing else.

Trying not to get too hyped before I see some gameplay, but I'll be damned if the possibility of commanding Titans/Knights isn't making that difficult!
 

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
2,930
46
53
Country
United States
No Tau.
No Necrons.
No Nids.
No Chaos.

What manner of heresy is this?
 

Li Mu

New member
Oct 17, 2011
552
0
0
Timedraven 117 said:
The reason why it says more people are playing Dow2 than Soulstorm is not because people like DOW's multiplayer less, is because you can only play DOW multiplayer on the latest expansion, Soulstorm. Whereas with DOW2 and Retribution are entirely different games with its own servers.
Well, there's the solution. DoW1-like-single player game with a DoW2-like-multiplayer game. Almost everybody will be happy (there will always be angry people whatever you do)
 

Li Mu

New member
Oct 17, 2011
552
0
0
ObsidianJones said:
Minor nitpick first.

... What's the deal with the Space Marines? They are supposed to be built like walking brick shithouses, each and every one of them. They look like skinny cosplayers here.

Now that that's done...

I need to see about loot. I'm a loot whore. I've always have been. The thing that kept me coming to the original Dawn of War II was getting better gear. If we can have skirmishes with our gear, I will never leave my computer. I will take Adeptus Astartes to new heights of Xeno purging, for all must know the Emperor's Mercy.

My hopes are that we're going to get ACTUAL CHAPTERS/CLANS this time around. I don't want a White Scars skin. I want the White Scars. I should be going around in Jet Bikes if I pick the White Scars. I should be less bolter and more power sword if I pick the Black Templar. And I should be doing heavy damage with the Salamanders with all my flamer based weaponry, with better power armor but slower movement speed.
Yeah...your wish list is nice. But if you expect that to happen, prepare to wait another 5 years for it to be released. Considering people want EVERY RACE on release with EVERY VARIATION in GREAT DETAIL we'll be waiting a long long long time. Even if they only made variations for the first founding chapters, plus the main Ork hordes and the main Eldar craftworlds, that would be 20+ unique armies to create. I love that you hope such a thing, but really this is a thing for modders to create. I'm sure we'll get a few DLC skins, but the rest will have to be made by modders.