Dawn of War III's Open Beta Starts Today. Here's a Trailer to Celebrate

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Dawn of War III's Open Beta Starts Today. Here's a Trailer to Celebrate

The Dawn of War III open beta kicks off today. What better way to celebrate than with a brand new trailer?

Relic is kicking off the Dawn of War III open beta this weekend [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169987-Warhammer-40-000-Dawn-of-War-3-Open-Beta-Dates#&gid=gallery_7155&pid=1] - it starts today, April 21, at 1PM ET, and runs through Monday, April 24 at 1PM ET.

The beta will give players access to all three factions: the Eldar, the Orks, and the Space Marines - along with a "selection of powerful elite heroes for each." There will be no single-player content in the beta.

A new trailer has also been released to coincide with the open beta - the Fragments of War trailer, which you can check out below.

Dawn of War III is launching on PC April 27. You can find the PC system requirements right here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169728-Dawn-of-War-3-System-Requirements-Announced#&gid=gallery_7024&pid=1].

[gallery=7247]

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Meanwhile some of us are still waiting for their "open" beta key.

To everyone who didn't get a key or joined in late:

http://steamcommunity.com/news/post/1858141774307951521

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So its a reboot of the first game. Great. Ten bucks says that 'mysterious' Spear of the Eldar's blood god has a daemon in it.
'cause it always does.
'cause the writers need a way to shoehorn in Chaos Marines for the expansion.

Sep 24, 2008
Silentpony said:
So its a reboot of the first game. Great. Ten bucks says that 'mysterious' Spear of the Eldar's blood god has a daemon in it.
'cause it always does.
The way total war warhammer sold, I also would bet each of those races will cost around 10 to 15 dollars

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Silentpony said:
'cause it always does.
The way total war warhammer sold, I also would bet each of those races will cost around 10 to 15 dollars
Except dawn of war has never worked like that. Relic releases big stand alone expansions that have the races. They will have a ton of dlc for chapters and such, but full races have always gotten expansions.

Sep 24, 2008
Worgen said:
Except dawn of war has never worked like that. Relic releases big stand alone expansions that have the races. They will have a ton of dlc for chapters and such, but full races have always gotten expansions.
Nothing about Dawn of War 3 has been like how it has been in the past.

Lowest amount of available races, check. Lowest amount of skirmish modes/multiplayer modes, check. (Seemingly) No wargear, check.

Why should we believe the well respected expansion model will come back now?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Worgen said:
Nothing about Dawn of War 3 has been like how it has been in the past.

Lowest amount of available races, check. Lowest amount of skirmish modes/multiplayer modes, check. (Seemingly) No wargear, check.

Why should we believe the well respected expansion model will come back now?
It launches with the fewest races yet but I think somehow people will manage. Dawn of war 1 didn't have wargear. I don't know if it really has the fewest skirmish modes. Dow2 didn't really launch with many and it launched with very few maps.

Because this is how Relic does releases. I haven't seen any evidence they will deviate from how they usually release games. They released company of heroes 2 before and its been released in pretty much the same way as all their other games. I mean they will probably have dlc tactics or whatever they call the multiplayer modification things. But full races, those will probably be expansion.

Sep 24, 2008
Worgen said:
It launches with the fewest races yet but I think somehow people will manage. Dawn of war 1 didn't have wargear. I don't know if it really has the fewest skirmish modes. Dow2 didn't really launch with many and it launched with very few maps.

Because this is how Relic does releases. I haven't seen any evidence they will deviate from how they usually release games. They released company of heroes 2 before and its been released in pretty much the same way as all their other games. I mean they will probably have dlc tactics or whatever they call the multiplayer modification things. But full races, those will probably be expansion.
Honestly, all I have seen is regression. When that happens, my first instinct is not to give the benefit of the doubt.

I hope you are right, but this development has simply soured me.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Worgen said:

Honestly, all I have seen is regression. When that happens, my first instinct is not to give the benefit of the doubt.

I hope you are right, but this development has simply soured me.
The only "regression" I see is fewer launch races but I don't really view that is a problem or some kind of conspiracy to fuck over players. I think they just wanted to put more effort into each race and decided it was bast to trim it down and really devote themselves to the 3 they had.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Zulnam said:
Meanwhile some of us are still waiting for their "open" beta key.

To everyone who didn't get a key or joined in late:

http://steamcommunity.com/news/post/1858141774307951521
Cheers, I have been waiting to no avail. You're doing the Emperors work :)

Sep 24, 2008
Worgen said:
The only "regression" I see is fewer launch races but I don't really view that is a problem or some kind of conspiracy to fuck over players. I think they just wanted to put more effort into each race and decided it was bast to trim it down and really devote themselves to the 3 they had.
I consider it a negative. Half the reason I even looked at Dawn of War: Dark Crusade was the number of races. I never seen such choice in races before.

Between you and me, this is going to come down to a difference of opinion. While I don't consider them actively trying to fuck over players, I personally see more stripping down than I see building up. I can list my reasons, you can list your counter reasons. I see the product as less, because the game took out more of the elements I've come to appreciate in the series. I do not see accord between us on this matter, so I personally will leave it at that.

I'm still going to probably buy it at some point due to fear of the series ending if they don't meet their goals. This might not be the game for me, but I will be Damned if my actions will screw over the future for the fans of this series.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Dawn of War 1 was great for the time and mixed it up enough to also stand out from the Command & Conquers, warcrafts, starcrafts. A sorta cover system very basic but it was 2004 and a morale system with WC style elites and with more of a focus like Ground Control did to get out in the battle instead of turtle up at base but you can also do abit of turtle. But its not aged all that well these days. Everyone has rose tinted glasses on when it comes to dow1. Dark Crusade was the last real expanion of dow1 life cycle of ofcourse it had ALL the races in it. Never understand the ppl who want EVERY 40k race from the get go its never going to happen, expansion pack with new races etc are fine feeds us more content and keep relic alive.

Dawn of War 2 launched with more of a focus on the battle and map control and keeping ya army alive for the late game, no base building but replaced it really by upgrading ya units on the fly depending on the battle and each skirmish you have. Alot of thought went into every battle and the kinda steep learning curve and lack of old school RTS style of big blob attack bad blob, rinse repeat. It turned alot of dow1 players off. Only 7 multiplayer maps but more were added within the first year and gamemodes the STANDARD annihilate and victory point. Within the same year they gave us LastStand. By the time the first expansion came out we had chaos and ffa/team ffa game modes added.

Dawn of War 3 is coming out with 8 multiplayer maps. ONE moba inspired power core gamemode and prob more later. Base building is back but not really just feels like needless extra steps and no turrets. Cover system ends up never really being used, capturing bubble cover is never even used as everyone blobs. Its simpler to just list what they dont have.

No directional cover system
No building garrison
No sync Kills
No Coop single
No auto reinforcing
No annihilate or victory point game modes on release
No spec mode(but replays are still there, lets hope each patch does not break old replays)
3 races on release. Not too much of a big deal but another standard gone.
Only ONE multiplayer gamemode "power core" moba inspired gamemode.

And lets not go into all the lore breaking shit. dow1 and dow2 had a good balance of lore and gameplay. Dawn of War 3 is trying to hang out with the cool kids on their table helps himself to a seat along side Dota2, LoL, SC2 all looking at dow3 like THE FUCK YOU DOING HERE ?! BUT BUT GUYS I CAN ESPORTS TOO WE GOT inControl (former SC2 pro) to play DOW3 soooo MLG.