Day of the Doctor thread SPOILERS!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
JoJo said:
I saw it on the TV, thought it was great but more importantly, what happened your avatar TimeLord? D-:
I don't know D:
It broke yesterday and I haven't been on a computer to fix it yet :(

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
JoJo said:
what happened your avatar TimeLord? D-:
Yeah wth happened?

On topic, it was pretty good, brilliant by Steven Moffat standards, and I'm SOOOOO glad that the episode wasn't resolved with an effing paradox, which seemed to be Moffat's go-to resolution for many stories lately.

I like the way Gallifrey was sorted. It allows the Timelords to return, and fits with the pre-established lore, and it means the timelords are back!

The Dalek planetary barrage also fills a sort of long-running plot-hole, mainly how the Daleks were supposedly wiped out in the Time War, but kept creeping back in Nu-Who. And I don't just mean one or two, half the time it was a flotilla of the fuckers.

So congrats Moffat, you successfully wrote an episode that filled more holes than it made.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
A note about the ending: Note that the high council was offscreen the entire time, only showing military command, and that Rassilon noted that his action in The End of Time were the last day of the war. From Galifrey's perspective, the two episodes were probably concurrent, and his seers were mistaking being sealed in single moment for a time lock.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Tom. Freaking. Baker.

The episode has its flaws, but there's definitely going to be some disappointment with hype like this. Personally, I was burned out from this episode in the most satisfying way possible. I can't wait for Gallifrey to be included in future episodes again.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.834864-Day-of-the-Doctor-thread-SPOILERS
Already made my thread, man.
Don't steal it.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I literally jumped off my seat and shouted when Tom Baker showed up.

Not a perfect special episode, but still a damn great one. I can't wait for new episodes involving Gallifrey again.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Objectable said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.834864-Day-of-the-Doctor-thread-SPOILERS
Don't steal it.
Posting in it will bump his thread above yours, you silly sausage :p

I think your best option is to ask the nice people at the mod group to merge this thread into yours.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
If I was Tennant and Smith I'd sue the BBC. Putting them up against not just John Hurt but TOM BAKER as well, poor sods didn't stand a chance. Billie Piper can really act, who knew. I didn't think she could go head to head with John HUrt and not look like a numpty. Clear plot, well acted and good jokes.

[HEADING=3]BRAVO[/HEADING]

Josh123914

Nov 17, 2009
Quoting my opinions from that other DW thread, so here I go:

It was pretty good, brilliant by Steven Moffat standards, and I'm SOOOOO glad that the episode wasn't resolved with an effing paradox, which seemed to be Moffat's go-to resolution for many stories lately.

I like the way Gallifrey was sorted. It allows the Timelords to return, and fits with the pre-established lore, and it means the timelords are back!

The Dalek planetary barrage also fills a sort of long-running plot-hole, mainly how the Daleks were supposedly wiped out in the Time War, but kept creeping back in Nu-Who. And I don't just mean one or two, half the time it was a flotilla of the fuckers.

So congrats Moffat, you successfully wrote an episode that filled more holes than it made.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Objectable said:
Don't steal it.
Relax, I have already merged it together with yours

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I want to kill Stephen Moffat after watching it.

Not only did he piss on the existing lore, he also pissed on Russell T Davies by rendering the entirety of the revived series pointless: all of that character development, what made Tennant's Doctor so memorable has been pissed away.

Not to mention that he clearly forgot that the Time Lords went mad in the last few days of the War, and that the Doctor time-locked, not killed both races because both were a threat to the universe(seriously, watch Tennant's last episode, The End of Time, I think it's called): Daleks wanting to exterminate everything and the Time Lords wanting to destroy the universe and become beings of "pure consciousness".

In not locking the War, the Doctor allowed not only the time lords to exist, but all the horrors of the war to exist too.

FUCK YOU STEPHEN MOFFAT.

The only things I liked were the callbacks to the old series, but with everything else, I was forcing myself to watch, the fact that all the three Doctors all spoke like Matt Smith and had his personality, the fact that Elizabeth was still Sally Sparrow/River Song/Amy Pond/Clara Oswald, or rather, any main female character that Stephen Moffat has ever written and will write.

To reiterate, FUCK YOU STEPHEN MOFFAT.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Akichi Daikashima said:
I want to kill Stephen Moffat after watching it.

Not only did he piss on the existing lore, he also pissed on Russell T Davies by rendering the entirety of the revived series pointless: all of that character development, what made Tennant's Doctor so memorable has been pissed away.

Not to mention that he clearly forgot that the Time Lords went mad in the last few days of the War, and that the Doctor time-locked, not killed both races because both were a threat to the universe(seriously, watch Tennant's last episode, The End of Time, I think it's called): Daleks wanting to exterminate everything and the Time Lords wanting to destroy the universe and become beings of "pure consciousness".

In not locking the War, the Doctor allowed not only the time lords to exist, but all the horrors of the war to exist too.

FUCK YOU STEPHEN MOFFAT.

The only things I liked were the callbacks to the old series, but with everything else, I was forcing myself to watch, the fact that all the three Doctors all spoke like Matt Smith and had his personality, the fact that Elizabeth was still Sally Sparrow/River Song/Amy Pond/Clara Oswald, or rather, any main female character that Stephen Moffat has ever written and will write.

To reiterate, FUCK YOU STEPHEN MOFFAT.
It doesn't piss on Eccleston and Tennant's character development as their Doctor's are still under the impression that they used the Moment to destroy Gallifrey and the Time Lords, only Smith's Doctor knows the truth now.

I agree about not locking the war might cause issues but the Time Lords only went mad in trying to survive the war by extreme means. Now that they have survived by not destroying the universe then they might go back to being not crazy? Only time will tell. But then, the 13 Doctor's might have still locked the Time War after saving Gallifrey, and since they removed Gallifrey before Time Locking it, then it may still be accessible. Seeing as a powerful being like the Moment can circumvent the Time Lock anyway (albeit, admittedly, from the inside) means that something similar may happen in the future.

Also I disagree, Tennant and Smith's Doctor's are similar in some regards but Tennant was distinctly Tennant in this story.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
misterprickly said:
Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode rocked!
I was glad to see BOTH Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston in this awesome special.
Speaking of Eccleston, despite his lack of involvement in the special for his own reasons, I really liked how they have finally completed a time line of events to his regeneration. In 'Rose' we know he has literally just regenerated into his 9th (now 10th) form as he hadn't seen his own face yet, and now we know how that happened and that he didn't regenerate from McGann but from Hurt.

Of course it now throws up problems of how McGann regenerated into Hurt.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
TimeLord said:
[the Time Lords only went mad in trying to survive the war by extreme means.
Exactly. They never went crazy mad, they just changed into something the Doctor no longer recognised. We saw that in the weapons vault, they had used some of the universes most dangerous weapons against the Daleks. They had become the kind of people the Doctor fights.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
misterprickly said:
TimeLord said:
misterprickly said:
Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode rocked!
I was glad to see BOTH Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston in this awesome special.
Speaking of Eccleston, despite his lack of involvement in the special for his own reasons, I really liked how they have finally completed a time line of events to his regeneration. In 'Rose' we know he has literally just regenerated into his 9th (now 10th) form as he hadn't seen his own face yet, and now we know how that happened and that he didn't regenerate from McGann but from Hurt.

Of course it now throws up problems of how McGann regenerated into Hurt.
simple; watch this!

How had I not seen that!? Thank you good sir!
FinalDream said:
TimeLord said:
[the Time Lords only went mad in trying to survive the war by extreme means.
Exactly. They never went crazy mad, they just changed into something the Doctor no longer recognised. We saw that in the weapons vault, they had used some of the universes most dangerous weapons against the Daleks. They had become the kind of people the Doctor fights.
Well then I suppose we will just have to see how that panned out once they are forcibly removed from the war. They might revert back to the people they were before the war, who knows.
However if that means Rassilon is still alive....

Josh123914

Nov 17, 2009
TimeLord said:
citizen snips
Keep in mind during 'The End of Time' Rassilon and his council had been stuck in this time loop for a while, and they had known that time was repeating itself hundreds of times by the time we see them.
It isn't too far a stretch to assume that they divised the 'screw all life but us' solution during their time in purgatory.
Also remember that with the Daleks decimated (with the remnants being fought during 9,10 and 11's run) and Gallifrey brought back into the fold, the Timelords don't need to destroy the universe anymore.

Then again, The Moment is the one WMD that hasn't been set off, so I imagine that if the writers botch Gallifrey's return then the Moment can always be set off again.