Day One: Garry's Incident Developer Copyright Claims Critical Video

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Ohhhhhh Snap! A youtube reviewer is pissed, Stephen will rue the day he tore down a youtube video. RUE I SAY!!!

This character needs to get over himself. If he doesn't like YouTube's copyright bullshit, he should leave. Oh what? Would that "large follow" and his "network" not back him if he jumped to blip?
Yes, someone who gets paid in ad revenue should just leave when someone actively detriments how he makes a living and puts food on the table. :/

What you've effectively said is Roger Ebert should never have been paid for any movie review he did when he said he didn't like the movie." or "Jeff Gesterman's firing from Gamespot due to not liking Kain and Lynch was totally justified because reasons."
he's bitching about YouTube's copyright policy. Well hey look, theres Blip! He doesn't have to stay there if he doesn't want to.

EDIT: I'm also very much against the practice of reviewers getting acess to media for free weeks ahead of time before the general public. They should have to pay like the rest of the audience.
You do realize that TB does this as a full time job right? He can't just pick up and leave YouTube. He makes money from Google paying him to draw in viewers. YouTube is the only Video Sharing site that pays enough to support a family on. TB is paid enough to cover home and board for his family to eat off of.

No other video sharing site that offers that level of quality of life. Not dailymotion, not liveleak, no other site. Him leaving YouTube to do what he does would probably reduce what he earns to barely an 8th. What you're saying is that if he doesn't like the fact that someone abused YouTube's faulty Copyright Claim system to censor his opinion, that he should just fuck off.

That's an asinine point to make.

The very fact that the developers have blatantly only use the YouTube policy to censor the opinion of someone who's job is to give his opinion of the game is disgusting and I don't know how you can side with them in this manner other than sheer ignorance of how bad this is for everyone who does videogame media with YouTube as their primary of secondary means of providing for themselves.
Linkara seems to be doing okay.

EDIT: Just to avoid a lowcontent post... I just find it very hypocritical that he's complaining about the policys of the platform he uses.... but okay he's still going to use that platform isn't he? And what, he's making his one youtube video attacking it like that's going to make a bit of difference on Google changing it's copyright policy.

plus I get annoyed at anyone who thinks they are "big on the internet"

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm also very much against the practice of reviewers getting acess to media for free weeks ahead of time before the general public. They should have to pay like the rest of the audience.
So you'd prefer it all the reviews either came out way after the game was out or were rushed, and there was less biased information on whether you should get a game at launch?

Or are you opposed to reviewers getting paid for their work?

I can't really see any other reason for that way of thinking apart from jealousy.

CannibalCorpses said:
Who is total biscuit and why should i give a fuck what he/she/it says? I keep hearing people quote him/her/that but never really know why...is this person a replacement for so many brains...all i hear is bleating :p
He is a person a lot of people seem to hate too, as he is popular and an abrasive personality.

I don't really care one way or another about his work, but this kind of thing is obviously a problem.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Lieju said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm also very much against the practice of reviewers getting acess to media for free weeks ahead of time before the general public. They should have to pay like the rest of the audience.
So you'd prefer it all the reviews either came out way after the game was out or were rushed, and there was less biased information on whether you should get a game at launch?

I can't really see any other reason for that way of thinking apart from jealousy.

CannibalCorpses said:
Who is total biscuit and why should i give a fuck what he/she/it says? I keep hearing people quote him/her/that but never really know why...is this person a replacement for so many brains...all i hear is bleating :p
He is a person a lot of people seem to hate too, as he is popular and an abrasive personality.

I don't really care one way or another about his work, but this kind of thing is obviously a problem.
I don't feel the review community deserves to be treated any differently than the rest of the audience, and likewise the audience shouldn't be looking up to the review community to decide what the hell they want to buy.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Lieju said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

CannibalCorpses said:

I don't feel the review community deserves to be treated any differently than the rest of the audience, and likewise the audience shouldn't be looking up to the review community to decide what the hell they want to buy.
So what should the audience base their buying decisions on, then? If I'm about to pay 60 euros for something that I cannot return if it's not what I thought it was, I want to have some opinions on it to hazard a guess on whether I'll enjoy it.

Although I'm a bit unsure of what you mean by 'review community'...
Do you have a problem with reviewers in general, or with the previews some of them get? I agree there are problems with that (mainly that the reviewers might be afraid to be honest if the game is bad because they'd be afraid of not getting such access in the future), but I don't think removing it would be a good idea either.
Already when companies know their game is bad they try to limit such access, if they didn't feel oblicated on giving that early access it would make it even easier for them to push the game through advertising when it comes out, before the word of it's quality spreads.

SaneAmongInsane said:
EDIT: Just to avoid a lowcontent post... I just find it very hypocritical that he's complaining about the policys of the platform he uses.... but okay he's still going to use that platform isn't he? And what, he's making his one youtube video attacking it like that's going to make a bit of difference on Google changing it's copyright policy.

How is that hypocritical? The platform he is using has issues, therefore it's hypocritical of him to use it?

And what does your annoyance have to do with anything? TB specially makes the point that this kind of thing is most harmful to those who aren't big enough.

And whether you like it or not, or think he deserves it, he does have a sizable audience.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
If his Vlogs are anything to go by, then TotalBiscuit is the last person to tell you to let reviews make purchase decisions for you. What we do need are critics who can give us information about a game so we don't have to make blind purchases, and if early access didn't exist for reviewers then all it would do is force us to wait even longer after release before having reviews handy.

Besides, it's not like reviewers are just having fun with the game, contrary to what one would believe playing games for a living is serious business.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Lieju said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Lieju said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

CannibalCorpses said:

So what should the audience base their buying decisions on, then? If I'm about to pay 60 euros for something that I cannot return if it's not what I thought it was, I want to have some opinions on it to hazard a guess on whether I'll enjoy it.

Although I'm a bit unsure of what you mean by 'review community'...
Do you have a problem with reviewers in general, or with the previews some of them get? I agree there are problems with that (mainly that the reviewers might be afraid to be honest if the game is bad because they'd be afraid of not getting such access in the future), but I don't think removing it would be a good idea either.
Already when companies know their game is bad they try to limit such access, if they didn't feel oblicated on giving that early access it would make it even easier for them to push the game through advertising when it comes out, before the word of it's quality spreads.

SaneAmongInsane said:

How is that hypocritical? The platform he is using has issues, therefore it's hypocritical of him to use it?

And what does your annoyance have to do with anything? TB specially makes the point that this kind of thing is most harmful to those who aren't big enough.

And whether you like it or not, or think he deserves it, he does have a sizable audience.
Oh c'mon. You can pretty much tell just looking at a game if it's going to be any good. Hell I didn't even read any reviews for GTAV and bought it day one just because.

and what? is it so hard just to wait what? Two days. If a game is horrendously bad the internet blows up instantly.

I'm just saying if they want to give their opinion, fine. But no freebies. If a game company is giving anything for free and out early it should to the people that actually want to play and enjoy their work.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
If a game company is giving anything for free and out early it should to the people that actually want to play and enjoy their work.
So people who are quaranteed to give good reviews?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Lieju said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
If a game company is giving anything for free and out early it should to the people that actually want to play and enjoy their work.
I know I would of rather have had GTAV weeks before launch and for free then the guy that did the Escapist review.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Lieju said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I know I would of rather have had GTAV weeks before launch and for free then the guy that did the Escapist review.
So you'd just like free stuff, then.

This is just you being upset at having to pay for your games, ok.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Lieju said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
And would you have done anything with it? Or would you just ran off with it to go and play instead of doing a review that the intent of giving an informed opinion on the product. That doesn't seem to be the same thing, one has some work and credibility involved with it.

Find it mildly amusing that Dr. D is actually being the stand up guy here. Good on you Lieju

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Oh c'mon. You can pretty much tell just looking at a game if it's going to be any good.
Really?

Because just looking at it, I'd be led to believe that Final Fantasy XIII would be a rather impressive game.

If a game is horrendously bad the internet blows up instantly.
That's why everyone is complaining about how buggy and terrible Legends of Dawn or Legends of Aethereus are, right? That's why everybody knew what Ride to Hell: Retribution and Dark were before people like Yahtzee or TotalBiscuit covered them?

I'm just saying if they want to give their opinion, fine. But no freebies. If a game company is giving anything for free and out early it should to the people that actually want to play and enjoy their work.
So, really, you're just mad that reviewers get advance time with games and are paid to give their opinions on them. Good to know.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
TotalBiscuit is a controversial guy, he speaks his mind, and he isnt afraid to say when a game is shite.

Many disapprove of his candid nature and mistake his honesty as pure-bias. Those people are wrong plain and simple, he tries to be as objective as possible while simply giving his own critique's on games through his unique voice. It sad because much like what happened here, many people want his critiques removed from exsistance simply because they arent in line with their own jaded opinions.

I cant understand these developers who feel as though a negative review should be removed simply because it is negative. Especially since TB was honest in his review and had his opinion shared with many other youtubers, yet he had the most views so his got taken down.

To me Yahtzee has always been like the gamer's Stephen Colbert. Seems like Totalbiscuit is turning into the gamer's Jon Stewart and with

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
SpaceGhost said:
No antagonism intended, Ed, to your post. Here is TB's stance:

I don't think Day One Garry's Incident should be taken off Steam. This petition going around is not something I support. #notahypocrite [https://twitter.com/search?q=%23notahypocrite&src=hash]

? TotalBOOscuit (@Totalbiscuit) October 20, 2013 [https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/statuses/392053298137538560]

I did not see an ad on my first viewing of his response video, in which he will be donating all revenues to the EFF, so I went to https://www.eff.org/ and donated a few bucks, myself. I did see the ad on my second view of the video, but I don't begrudge the donation in any respect.
I'm not a fan of TB, his personality is a bit grating for me but he's absolutely right in this case, there are plenty of other locations to see reviews of their game and the steam page looks right to me so it would be totally unfair and unjustified for e game to get pulled, even if they were unfair and unjustified in having his video pulled. (as they say, an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind)

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Oh c'mon. You can pretty much tell just looking at a game if it's going to be any good.
I'd like to know how would the World of Darkness MMO turn out as well as Project Titan. Including a number out of 10 is preferred but not really needed - you do need to specify exactly how would they turn out and would I like them, though - that's the baseline.

C'mon - it's easy, just do it.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
this stuff needs to stop its pretty bad what happened to TB I have seen this happen before too like the Sega incident ....

(the following has ponies bare with me if you are a hater of ponies or not it still is abuse of human rights)

there have been a few waves of "Hasbro" stuff the worst part these Hasbro flags were not from them but haters Hasbro is fine with most of the stuff the fandom creates but a couple times trolls have abused the auto system to take down brony stuff parodys,reviews, and the like