Day Z

mad_mick

Jul 19, 2008
Anyone played this? I?m not even going to begin to try and download it, I?m pretty sure my computer wouldn?t run it and I?m not a big pc gamer, i like worms and solitaire, other than that I?m a console gamer all the way. The concept of day z looks amazing and really really fun, i would upgrade my computer just to play this!!! BUT, whats the chances of this being released on a console? They said crysis wouldn?t run on a console and look how that turned out, and mine craft! Is it that the xbox or playstation servers couldn?t run it? or is it not a practical release for a console? All i know is I?m pissed that this isn?t a multi format release and anyone who wishes to give me a pc with everything already loaded on and ready to play day z would be the proud owner of a lovely big lolly pop!!!!

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
If I remember hearing rightly Day Z is a mod for ARMA 2 right?
I haven't played much of ARMA 2 since my labtop had nearly died while trying to run it but I have a friend who played it a lot and I saw it played at his house.

I was going to post a rant on why it isn't possible for it to be on consoles but im pretty sure someone else can say it better than I. So i'll just say that it wouldn't work on consoles nor would it be that great on them. This is due to several issues some of which include the limitations of console controllers and also the fact that you are not allowed to mod games on consoles so Day Z wouldn't be availible anyway.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
I've played it. A lot. It's awesome, if a little frustrating at times, like when everyone just shoots you on sight because no one has microphones or they're too scared of you or you have some beans.

It won't be on consoles unless consoles get native keyboard/mouse support, or a controller with as many buttons as a keyboard... There are far too many keys to make this viable, and a menu system would be too slow for the amount of things required. Also it's an Alpha and the PC version is buggy as all fuck at the moment so when the mod's running stably on Arma 3, then, and only then will Rocket begin considering making it into a standalone game...

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
mad_mick said:
Anyone played this? I?m not even going to begin to try and download it, I?m pretty sure my computer wouldn?t run it and I?m not a big pc gamer, i like worms and solitaire, other than that I?m a console gamer all the way. The concept of day z looks amazing and really really fun, i would upgrade my computer just to play this!!! BUT, whats the chances of this being released on a console? They said crysis wouldn?t run on a console and look how that turned out, and mine craft! Is it that the xbox or playstation servers couldn?t run it? or is it not a practical release for a console? All i know is I?m pissed that this isn?t a multi format release and anyone who wishes to give me a pc with everything already loaded on and ready to play day z would be the proud owner of a lovely big lolly pop!!!!
It's fucking awesome, best damn thing I've played in years.

I'm sorry but Bohemia aren't going to port it over to Xbox, they might do it for PS3 since it's got more capacity for graphics but that's a long way away while they work on ARMA 3 which might I add is also going to have Day Z ported over. ^^

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I would so love to get into it and ARMA in general, as I am a big fan of Bohemia and the original OFP, but damn, ARMA 2 needs quite a computer to run it, and my poor little laptop just can't take it. ;(

Watched some videos of Day Z on Youtube though. It's pretty much the zombie game I have always wanted, but in mod form! Seems especially tense and scary at night.

Tomany2

Jun 17, 2008
DayZ is awesome. Seeing as how it is a mod, it wont be ported over to consoles. But, Its rumored the creator, "Rocket" was removed from the Arma III Dev team to work full time on the Mod, and may even be creating a DayZ standalone title... if they were to port it to console, it wouldn't be for years, and the map would be no where near the 225^2 KM map that is currently being used.

Alos, you don't need a super awesome pc to run arma II... i was running it on an AMD Athlon x2 2.3 GHZ processor with a Nvidia 9800 GTX... albeit, it was on the lowest quality possible, but it ran... that was until i upgraded my pc last Friday...

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
The mod is okay, the players are not. Simple as that. After it became popular, the worst types of players started to flock in, and then don't leave.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
GenericAmerican said:
The mod is okay, the players are not. Simple as that. After it became popular, the worst types of players started to flock in, and then don't leave.
This lots and lots of times. Before it went viral it was a nice friendly thing where people would cooperate and all that, but then it turned into HURR KILL GUNS BANDITS HURR to the point where 4/5 lives end with you getting shot by some dick five minutes after spawning.

Tomany2

Jun 17, 2008
Phlakes said:
GenericAmerican said:
This lots and lots of times. Before it went viral it was a nice friendly thing where people would cooperate and all that, but then it turned into HURR KILL GUNS BANDITS HURR to the point where 4/5 lives end with you getting shot by some dick five minutes after spawning.
Hey, I shoot on sight after coming in and announcing friendly when asked, than being shot at (on more than one occasion)...

apparently they ask "Friendly" because they want to know (and i quote this from another player) "I ask if they are friendly that way i know if they will shoot back at me or not if i shoot at them"... SERIOUSLY? of course they are going to shoot back, whether friendly or not.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
Well since DayZ is actually a mod for a PC exclusive, it will most likely never find its way to consoles. Don't be glum though, DayZ had a lot of success even with all of its bugs and the fact that it's still in alpha stage. I'm sure it won't be to long before a big studio makes a similar game modeled after it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
ARMA 2 wouldn't fit on a console. And if it would, you do not want to navigate that interface with a pad.

Anyway, it's terrific. A bit buggy, but you'll not give a shit almost as soon as you get into it.

In many ways, it's gaming at its finest. Full interaction, genuine fear and issues of trust with other players, questions of morality that aren't posed to you, but simply develop organically in your own mind as desperation/anxiety/sadism sets in.

One time I'd been looting towns with another player and, knowing that I'd soon be logging off and that we'd likely never play together again, considered shooting him in the middle of a forest for his gear. He'd been playing the character for hours, and he'd lose all that if I kill him (perma-death, so each death means you restart), but then... the gear would really help. We hadn't had a great haul, but I knew he'd had some decent stuff on him when we met up.

And if I shot him in the forest we were in no zombies would hear. Hell, it was doubtful any other players would hear. And yet, he'd saved me twice - wasted his ammo for me when he could have ran, lent me food, bandages. Massaged my back. We were buddies, of a sort. Buddies who rarely spoke because we didn't speak the same language (beyond a few of his choice words in English), but buddies nonetheless.

His name was Mao, and I let him go. (And no, the irony's not lost on me.)

Point being, it makes you fucking think. Makes you give a shit. It's glorious.

Phlakes said:
GenericAmerican said:
This lots and lots of times. Before it went viral it was a nice friendly thing where people would cooperate and all that,
Which isn't the point. It's not meant to be friendly. It's not meant to be entirely hostile either (and it isn't, in my experience on numerous servers), but it's certainly not "let's all help each other out".

It's about trust, chance, and testing what sort of player you're going to be when your luck starts running out. Or whether you'll even be the sort of player to let your luck run out in the first place.

The mistake I think some people make is assuming the zombies are the game's focus. They're not. The zombies are comparable to hunger, thirst, the weather. They're just environmental factors that segue you into certain situations, pressure you into acting, whilst how you act, exactly, is up to you.

The real focus is the other players. The dickheads, the beggars, the genuine friendlies. Whether you'll trust them, avoid them altogether, risk trying to take them on for some beans.