DayZ, Arma 2 Running Off To Join Steam's Circus

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
DayZ, Arma 2 Running Off To Join Steam's Circus

GameSpy's closure left these performers without a big top.

When GameSpy's new owner decided it didn't want to be in the multiplayer server business any more [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133492-Glu-to-Turn-Off-GameSpy-Multiplayer-Servers-Next-Month-Update] Bohemia's games were left without a place to play. At the time CEO Marek Spanel said he hoped to find an alternate solution via Steam, but nothing had been written in stone. Now it's official: Arma 2, and all the happy smiling DayZ zombie mod goodness that goes with it, is on its way to Valve's platform.

"Due to the fact that Steam based matchmaking requires Steam to work, this update is only available through Steam," says Bohemia. "If you have purchased a retail copy of the game, please do not despair. As announced previously all Arma 2 (including DLCs and Operation Arrowhead expansion) keys may now be activated on Steam." There's even a handy walkthrough [https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5414-TFBN-1352] to help you through the process.

Some of Bohemia's titles - Arma 1, Cold War Assault, Take On Helicopters - won't work on Steam. Bohemia also recognizes that some of its playerbase would prefer to keep on using the non-Steam version of its titles rather than play in Steam's circus. "We have implemented a system to help host and connect to servers even without a functioning GameSpy," Bohemia promises, and if you want to know how that'll work, there's a full explanation over here [http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?179732-Arma-2-Operation-Arrowhead-Update-1-63].

Source: Bohemia Interactive [http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?179732-Arma-2-Operation-Arrowhead-Update-1-63]

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Now I'm wondering if there is any news on ARMA III, since I tried to play a game with my friends yesterday and it is no longer possible to connect to each other except through LAN. Well, hopefully this means the hotfix is coming soon.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ArmA series has always supported direct IP, it was never really a concern. That said, glad they've given instructions on other options for less technically knowledgeable users.

Commissar Sae said:
Now I'm wondering if there is any news on ARMA III, since I tried to play a game with my friends yesterday and it is no longer possible to connect to each other except through LAN. Well, hopefully this means the hotfix is coming soon.
ArmA 3 already uses Steam afaik, must have been a bad connection at the time.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
Commissar Sae said:
you can still connect but you have to know the direct IP to connect too... that said that dosent allways work and the game has a painfull tenancy to crash when it cant find gamespy >.>

damm i hated gamespy so yay its gone... and now steam... god dangit when will they learn.

allso on a direct note NONE of my keys are being recognized on steam -bought gog and direct from the BI studio digital store

so yeeeeeeeaaaaaaah what a load of tosh.

Update , the thing did actualy work so just keep trying at the thing and it pulls its finger out evantualy

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
Darth Sea Bass said:
What about if you bought it through GoG? Does it count as retail?
i would assume so BUT and this is a big BUT i allso own the gog version and my CD key from them does jack toss

that said its gog and theyve had to do alot of sucking up since the region pricing scandal so if you contact GOG support about it politely they can probably find a way to help you , why not steam well better try gog first or at the same time because steam support is well steam support.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Darth Sea Bass said:
What about if you bought it through GoG? Does it count as retail?
Can't speak for GOG, but I just tried to register my Green Man Gaming serial for Arma II and it didn't work. Might have something to do with the fact that it was the "free" version, but who knows for sure?