DayZ, Rust "Cross-Inspire" CCP's World of Darkness MMO

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DayZ, Rust "Cross-Inspire" CCP's World of Darkness MMO

CCP says "the power of the sandbox" in games like DayZ and Rust is influencing its approach to the World of Darkness MMO.

CCP has been working on World of Darkness for a long time now, but to hear CEO Hilmar Pétursson talk about it, the groundwork for the game is still being laid. Recent cuts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130469-World-of-Darkness-Studio-Sheds-More-Staff] to the development team were intended to "increase focus" as World of Darkness continues to take form, and CCP has also taken notice of some of the more notable MMO-like success stories of the past few months.

"The core dynamics of being human or vampire haven't changed, but we've certainly been taking inspiration from a lot of recent things. For example, DayZ and Rust, which have shown us the power of a sandbox when you bring it into a more recognizable context," he told Rock, Paper, Shotgun. "The creators of those experiences often reference EVE Online as an inspiration for their things. We're now cross-inspired by what we're seeing there. How the absence of all these structured game mechanics - by just allowing these natural interactions to happen - that is something we're definitely incorporating into how we think about World of Darkness."

That's vague - very vague - but also potentially exciting and actually a good fit with CCP's approach to EVE Online, perhaps the most player-driven of all the "major" MMOs currently in operation. EVE players are given the freedom to do virtually anything they want without interference from CCP, which is essentially how Rust and DayZ work as well: You pays your dime and you takes your chances. A similarly organic approach to World of Darkness, but set in a much deeper and more detailed world, could be flat-out fantastic.

Of course Pétursson did nothing to clarify what CCP is, or even might, be considering, but he apparently did imply that some insight may be forthcoming at the next EVE Fanfest [http://fanfest.eveonline.com/en/default], which will take place May 1-3 in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/14/ccp-taking-cues-from-dayz-rust-for-world-of-darkness/]

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Still hoping they will include the Fallen in this, preferably as playable characters (But I doubt that will happen), but a few major plots involving the Earthbound would be pretty cool as well :)

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
I think it's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point that anytime I hear anything regarding the WoD MMO all it does is piss me off because I'm reminded of CCP buying White Wolf and how they've handled that. Lots of people let go and they've got to kickstart damn near every book they put out. One of the White Wolf guys actually had to start a publishing company because after the lay-offs White Wolf themselves couldn't handle it(Which is pretty damn sad given that the company's actual name is White Wolf Publishing). Said publishing company, Onyx Path Publishing, is now the place to keep track of their books because, not surprising at this point, the White Wolf side can't even afford to host a site that updates with that sort of information. Or a forum.

Seriously, CCP can go fuck itself with a bat covered in rusty nails.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
I'll be more interested in this when/if they put Werewolves in it. Killing Black Spirals for the glory of Gaia has always been more fun then the politicking of Vampires. Yeah, they occasionally go stomp on Sabbat, but only the Gangrel, Brujaha, and Nosforatu are made for fighting, and Nos usually rather hide first. Oh, I suppose there's the Tremere, but those are for cheap assholes. Stupid blood magic.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Confirm/deny you can play the fan variants Highlander: The Quickening (yes, someone made a Highlander-based system for oWoD, and from what I hear it and its sword fighting system are ten flavors of awesome) or I won't play it.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
infinity_turtles said:
I think it's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point that anytime I hear anything regarding the WoD MMO all it does is piss me off because I'm reminded of CCP buying White Wolf and how they've handled that. Lots of people let go and they've got to kickstart damn near every book they put out. One of the White Wolf guys actually had to start a publishing company because after the lay-offs White Wolf themselves couldn't handle it(Which is pretty damn sad given that the company's actual name is White Wolf Publishing). Said publishing company, Onyx Path Publishing, is now the place to keep track of their books because, not surprising at this point, the White Wolf side can't even afford to host a site that updates with that sort of information. Or a forum.

Seriously, CCP can go fuck itself with a bat covered in rusty nails.
The problem stemmed from the fact CCP overreached themselves, they had good intentions but they where too ambitious. EVE was steadily growing and CCP where making a fair chunk of profit, then they bought White Wolf and decided they where going to make a whole new engine from scratch for it and use the same engine to allow EVE players to leave their ships and walk around inside the stations. They also decided they where going to make a multiplayer only F2P console shooter based in the EVE universe and opened yet another studio to develop that.

Then the whole economic crisis was happening which didn't help and the cost of developing what essentially amounted to four games (EVE, EVE walking in stations, World of Darkness, Dust) took its toll, they decided that EVE players where going to foot the bill with exorbitant micro-transactions and released a very limited form of the walking in stations. This was when it became apparent the new engine was facing a lot of problems, it could barely render a single room and couldn't even have more than one player in any given instance so the engine they had spent years working on was obviously years away from being useful. Leaks from inside the company detailed even more micro-transactions, even ones that moved the game towards P2W and the development of the core EVE game was suffering badly.

CCP got too ambitious and asked EVE players to foot the bill and the EVE players told CCP to fuck off, there mass cancellations and in game riots that caused huge problems with the running of the game. CCP eventually had to slash staff and focus on EVE or lose everything.

Ever since then the walking in stations thing has basically been dumped and World of Darkness with it, there has been round after round of lay offs. CCP also shoved Dust out of the door and frankly its rubbish, so that hasn't helped either.

I can understand why White Wolf fans are disappointed but CCP had to focus on the game that was running and keeping them afloat, if they hadn't been so stupidly ambitious it would never have happened.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
J Tyran said:
CCP also shoved Dust out of the door and frankly its rubbish, so that hasn't helped either.
I was very disappointed by that one. I follwoed the progress closely even if i am not a player of that (im an eve player though) and it felt like all the time they went with "well this will be done later". No. this should have been the basic thing to start with, not patched in later after a year. the game was clearly very rushed out. but CCP is like that, it takes its time and then finds out it cant do that anymore and shoves a half finished product. I like eve, dont get me wrong, but when you look deeper at what your opitions in eve entrails you find that it actualy is... quite limited. Sure when i was a noob it all looked fascinating and complex, but now 5+ years later i see unfinshed feature after unfinished feature. And lately they seem to focus on "fuck over highsec for 0sec beefits" strategy. As a highsec dweller i hate that.

That being siad, i detest walking in stations and think its a projects that shouldnt even be started. if i wanted to walk around in silyl clothes i would ahve bought any other mmo out there. i want to play spaceships - focus on that.
Im not itnerested in WOD either too.

Donzacuceron

Sep 22, 2012
*DayZ's, Rust's sales "Cross-Inspire" CCP's World of Darkness MMO

There fixed it for you :)
I don't really feel DayZ to be honest zombie survival feels a bit token at this point.Rust on the other hand I can get behind since its never really about the zombies its more the people and how most of them are dicks (like I feel they would be in a real apocalypse) but if you can only find that other 1 reasonable person in the sea of idiots it will all feel better.