DC Ending New 52 Imprint After Convergence

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
DC Ending New 52 Imprint After Convergence

DC will be ending several of its less successful comics starting in June and will replace them with 24 new titles aimed at diversifying its catalog.

Last year, DC announced plans for a new event <a href-http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/features/12605-Convergence-Brings-The-Pre-New-52-Back-To-DC-Comics>called Convergence. Aimed at combining multiple books pulled from different eras and universes of DC's long publishing history, Convergence promised to let readers revisit some of their favorite periods of comics past while also pushing the DC Universe forward in that special way only a big event can. Today, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dc%20comics?os=dc+comics>DC+ revealed exactly what the aftermath of Convergence will be. After the event wraps up, new series will be launched, some existing ones will die and the New 52 imprint will, officially, be no more.

The publisher announced the big change earlier today on its official website. According to the post, while the existing continuity will continue, the publisher will launch 24 new books beginning on June 3rd while also cancelling a score of its under-performing comics. Alongside these new comics, DC will continue publishing 25 of its existing series, all of which will maintain their current numbering and storylines. It's the company's hope that these new comics will help expand the diversity of its lineup to help attract new readers interested in something outside of its current catalog. "This heralds in a new era for the DC Universe which will allow us to publish something for everyone, be more expansive and modern in our approach and tell stories that better reflect the society around us," said Dan Didio, co-publisher for DC Entertainment. "Whether you've been a DC fan your whole life, or whether you are new to comics - there will be a book for you beginning in June."

The company would go on to indicate that it intends to go "back-to-basics" with popular characters such as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Its new books, in turn, will be geared toward "reinventing key characters" such as Bizarro, Black Canary, Starfire, Cyborg and more. The full list of new comics will include the following:

Batman Beyond by Dan Jurgens and Bernard
ChangCyborg by David L. Walker and Ivan Reis and Joe Prado
Dark Universe by James Tynion IV and Ming Doyle
Doomed by Scott Lobdell and Javier Fernandez
Harley Quinn/Power Girl by Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner and Stephane Roux
Red Hood/Arsenal by Scott Lobdell and Denis Medri
Starfire by Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner and Emanuela Lupacchino
We Are Robin by Lee Bermejo and Rob Haynes and Khary Randolph
Justice League of America by Brian Hitch
Bizzaro by Heath Corson and Gustavo Duarte
Prez by Mark Russell and Ben Caldwell
Omega Men by Tom King and Barnaby Bagenda
Mystic U (tentative title) by Alisa Kwitney and Mauricet
Section Eight by Garth Ennis and John McCrea
Dr. Fate by Paul Levitz and Sonny Liew
Robin, Son of Batman by Pat Gleason
Black Canary by Brenden Fletcher and Annie Wu
Martian Manhunter by Rob Williams and Ben Oliver, Paulo Siqueira
Earth 2: Society by Daniel H. Wilson and Jorge Jimenez
Midnighter by Steve Orlando and ACO
Bat-Mite by Dan Jurgens and Corin Howell
Constantine: The Hellblazer by Ming Doyle and Riley Rossmo
Justice League 3001 by Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis and Howard Porter
Green Lantern: Lost Army by Cullen Bunn andJesus Saiz, Javi Pina

The returning comics, meanwhile, will be:

Action Comics by Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder
Aquaman by Cullen Bunn and Trevor McCarthy
Batgirl by Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr
Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
Detective Comics by Francis Manapul, Brian Buccelato and Francis Manapul
Batman/Superman by Greg Pak and Ardian Syaf
Catwoman by Genevieve Valentine and David Messina
Deathstroke by Tony Daniel and Tony Daniel
Flash byRob Venditti,Van Jensen and Brett Booth
Gotham Academy byBecky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher and Karl Kerschl
Gotham By Midnight by Ray Fawkes and Juan Ferreyra
Grayson by Tim King, Tim Seeley and Mikel Janin
Green Arrow by Ben Percy and Richard Zircher
Green Lantern by Robert Venditti and Billy Tan
Harley Quinn by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti and Chad Hardin
Justice League by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok
Justice League United by TBD and Travel Foreman, Paul Pelletier
Lobo by Cullen Bunn and Cliff Richards
Secret Six by Gail Simone and Dale Eaglesham
Sinestro by Cullen Bunn and Brad Walker
New Suicide Squad by Sean Ryan and Carlos D'Anda
Superman by Gene Luen Yang and John Romita, Jr.
Superman/Wonder Woman by Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke
Teen Titans by Will Pfeifer and Kenneth Rodafort
Wonder Woman by Meridith Finch and David Finch

[gallery=3800]

All in all, I personally think this could be a good move for DC. While I have none of the animosity that some do toward the New 52, I'd also say that DC hasn't done the best job of providing me with compelling reasons to care about many of its books. With the exception of core titles like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, there's little that interests me. Maybe a new crop of comics will be the right ticket to pull readers like myself deeper into the depths of DC. What do you think? Does the list of new books contain anything that catches your eye?

Source: <a href=http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/02/06/dc-entertainment-announces-new-books-new-creators-broader-focus-for-the-dc-universe>DC Comics

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
So the plan is to "let the New 52 die a quiet death and slowly change things back to more or less what they were and what the fans expected in the hopes that said fans might come back?... please... we're desperate here... please come back we haven't eaten in months!"

Or am I reading that wrong?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
faefrost said:
So the plan is to "let the New 52 die a quiet death and slowly change things back to more or less what they were and what the fans expected in the hopes that said fans might come back?... please... we're desperate here... please come back we haven't eaten in months!"

The current continuity will survive, but they're ditching the New 52 branding and launching a whole bunch of new books that they're hoping will sell better than the current crop.

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
I would actually be more into DC if they had a service like Marvel Unlimited. I literally cannot afford to get into them, and the Unlimited service has pretty much solidly cemented me into the Marvel camp.

I desperately want to read some of the old and awesome DC arcs, I'd love to get into the Flash, and I've heard nothing but good things about current Aquaman. But I just can't until they roll some form of digital subscription service out...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Elader said:
I would actually be more into DC if they had a service like Marvel Unlimited. I literally cannot afford to get into them, and the Unlimited service has pretty much solidly cemented me into the Marvel camp.

I desperately want to read some of the old and awesome DC arcs, I'd love to get into the Flash, and I've heard nothing but good things about current Aquaman. But I just can't until they roll some form of digital subscription service out...
I love the idea of Marvel Unlimited. The actual functionality of it is driving me nuts however. The iOS client is an awful bug ridden mess. You cant read more than four pages of a book "online". The site is painfully slow. etc. Great idea but apparently written by the same contractors that gave us Healthcare.gov.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am good with this. I have actually enjoyed most of the stuff with Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman as well as some of the Green Lanturn stuff but nothing else has been that appealing to me. I have not been able to get into the Flash since the reboot and the less said about what has happened to Constantine the better so here is hoping Constantine: The Hellblazer will be better.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
faefrost said:

It's essentially doing what the New 52 did in the first place: a mass idea blitz hoping something sticks so they can be the company not relying on Batman to keep it afloat. That's the sad part: the New 52 had diversity in characters and genres, but most of that got the ax over the last few years, so they have to try again I guess. If these do as well as the last crop of titles tossed into the lineup, expect a lot of those new books to last 6 months before cancellation.

Memo to DC, you have to build demand for new books. Think Booster Gold: lame and unwanted until the 52 miniseries made him cool. Try a bit more of that instead of thinking there's demand for Klarion the witch boy in his own book.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
So they're launching Justice League 3,001? I guess they'll be cancelling Justice League 3,000, then. Also, yay! A new Harley Quinn series! Her personal dynamic with Power Girl was too great to waste, I guess.

tf2godz said:
I see that starfire has a better outfit, It's still sexualized but I think it in a good way. aleast it's better then her old one.
I agree 100%. I'm such a huge fanservice fan that I once started a manga recommendation thread where I made it explicitly clear I only wanted recommendations of manga with lots of fanservice. And I still didn't like the New 52 Starfire. This outfit looks like something she wears because she geninely likes to dress fun and sexy. Better in every way.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Holy Hell I hate it when Jimmy Palmiotti is writing Power Girl! Does he have some sort of fetish with having women eaten alive while PG just stands there and doesn't even punish the eater? She agrees to have dinner with a guy who tried to use a gun that would make her amorous for him (essentially a rape gun) and who released a monster that ate a woman who was affected by said gun? Palmiotti does this again in the Harley/PG team-up arc by having PG stand there when Harley kills a guy who was about to out her as a villain; simply scolding her for doing so and once again has a woman eaten alive and PG agrees to have dinner with said devourer. I don't care if the Harley team-up was for laughs it was still way out of character for someone who stands on par with Superman in both power levels and moral bearings. Granted Power Girl had amnesia in the Harley book, but I still hold her in character as Harley told the truth about PG being a hero. She just wasn't a crime fighting duo with Harley. I'm terrified to see what he does with Starfire.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
StewShearer said:
Its new books, in turn, will be geared toward "reinventing key characters" such as Bizarro, Black Canary, Starfire, Cyborg and more.
Weren't these characters all reinvented suring the New 52?

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
faefrost said:
I love the idea of Marvel Unlimited. The actual functionality of it is driving me nuts however. The iOS client is an awful bug ridden mess. You cant read more than four pages of a book "online". The site is painfully slow. etc. Great idea but apparently written by the same contractors that gave us Healthcare.gov.
I agree on that completely. I use it because it's the only thing available and $10/mo for everything older than six months is way better than just a few running current titles a month. If DC came out with their version with a less crappy system (not exactly a high bar there...), I'd probably jump ship.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Darksied actually looks good in that image with Metron o_O

Cyborg is in desperate need of development because so far he has no character let alone has be any significant development.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
PS Fauxbo is still going to be around. there isn't enough black christian woman in the world to shout out "Jesus" to punctuate the fail :(

Seriously, how the F*ck did that happen? o_O

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
circularlogic88 said:
StewShearer said:
Its new books, in turn, will be geared toward "reinventing key characters" such as Bizarro, Black Canary, Starfire, Cyborg and more.
Weren't these characters all reinvented suring the New 52?
Looks like they are rebooting part of the reboot, then.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
And Harley Quinn is the only thing here, new or returning, that I have been in any way tempted to read. Kinda surprised to see starfire get her own book, seeing as from what I heard her new personality was... "lacking" shall we say.