DC Reboot Leaves Flash's Marriage In The Dust

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hear that? That's the sound of the Retcon headsman, grinding his axe to a deadly keen.
It's a reboot and not a retcon you say?

The headsman cares not who he works for, so long as he takes the heads of established backstories in his quest to forever re-establish the Status-Quo.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'm still waiting for Spider-Man's "magic divorce" to be fixed.

Here's a surprise, comic creators - I'm a female reader that related to the women in the comics, the girlfriends and wives of the superheroes, and I loved them.

My favorite issue of Spider-Man ever was when Mary Jane outsmarted the Chameleon, who was trying to put the moves on her disguised as her husband, and she beat the snot out of him with a baseball bat.

She wasn't sitting around waiting for her husband to save the day. She wasn't worrying about some stupid affair. She didn't miraculous get super-powers. She didn't wind up stuffed in a refrigerator. She handled herself like a champ.

Here's my problem with the excuse "this opens up new exciting new stories" - there were STILL stories that could be told for married superheroes. Hell, I could write a few decades worth of married-superhero stories for any superhero if asked to. I think the excuse that "there were no more stories to tell" and "this is better" is flat-out BS, especially when I can sit here and think up dozens of interesting, engaging, fascinating stories that don't just have superhero wives, but REQUIRE them.

So, nope. Don't buy it. Not for one second. I'll miss you, married heroes - you were just too likeable and relatable to a single young woman like me to last.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Maybe Flashpoint should be renamed Divorcepoint? Who will be next to have a marrage Retcon? I just started learning about the histories of the DC characters and now I kinda feel like I'm wasting my time.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Wasn't Barry Allen like, well, dead for a good long while? I didn't even know the dude was alive, much less married.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I think they just can't write a stable relationship of any kind. Even single heroes run through new romances with surprising speed. The relationship is either new and exciting, or it's on the outs.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Can we have the flip side of this coin then? How about characters that were NEVER married originally are now married in the new universe? Raven and Beast Boy, Starfire and Nightwing, Batman and...well, take your pick.
I, for one, am tired of seeing these on-again, off-again romances that keep flaring up but never go anywhere. Either stick it, or leave it alone. And since we're already doing crazy things with the DC reboot, none of these should be asking too much.