DC Reboot Sells Like Super-Powered Hotcakes

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Those sales will plummet like a fat man with no parachute. People will only carry on reading what they like, meaning many books will probably be left in the dust. Not to mention the first issue rush is partially made up of fortune hunters hoping for those issues to be worth something.

As for me, I've picked up alot of the New 52, and I'm impressed. Some really good comics. It's just a question now of what I want to keep reading.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I really have a problem with the editors on this site.

"Controversy?" No. It didn't. The context of a controversy is something large. Something that really gets a sizeable ammount of peoples blood boiling.

The DC Reboot did not get a sizeable group of people. It got a few people on the internet pissed off, which of course obscure press outlets pick up. If you look at the vast majority of comic book readers, they are either excited or don't care. Most people realize this won't be permanent, and within a year or two things will go back to the way they were, with a handful of changes kept. Ya know, like how EVERY time some publicity stunt is pulled, thats how it ends up.

Sales figures are talking too. The vast majority of people who screamed "this in unacceptable" are like most the people who shout that in online forums - they buy the product anyways, and more likely that not, enjoyedit. Its not a controversial subject - its a band of people nerd raging, and not actually meaning it.

Now that my rant with the people who write for this site is over with (for now), the reboot has been pretty interesting. The general concensus is these are pretty top notch. Simpler is better sometimes. Good job DC!

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
There is no way that the sales jump caused by these reboots will last, just by the very nature of the industry. People are buying them now because they are "hot" and because collectors think they may be worth something someday. As for the content itself, I'm only bothered by the fact that they took out Superman's marriage. It's like putting Spider-Man back in high school. The character is only going backwards, not forwards.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Jonny49 said:
Those sales will plummet like a fat man with no parachute. People will only carry on reading what they like, meaning many books will probably be left in the dust. Not to mention the first issue rush is partially made up of fortune hunters hoping for those issues to be worth something.
I'm not so sure about that. General reception to most of the books seems to be more on the positive side than the negative side.

Zach of Fables said:
There is no way that the sales jump caused by these reboots will last, just by the very nature of the industry. People are buying them now because they are "hot" and because collectors think they may be worth something someday. As for the content itself, I'm only bothered by the fact that they took out Superman's marriage. It's like putting Spider-Man back in high school. The character is only going backwards, not forwards.
From what I've seen, comic shop owners/staff are stating that most new readers don't seem to be buying up new comics for their theoretical value but rather are returning week after week simply because they enjoyed what they bought.

Of course anecdotal evidence is taken with a grain of salt, but it generally doesn't seem like the majority of sales are going to people who just want an investment.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Personally I'm hoping this goes strong. it may just be because it's 'hot' right now, but if DC can follow through and deliver something good with some consistency, I think there's a fair chance they can keep those numbers. I mean let's face it: this is the move that SOMEONE needed to make. I'm surprised Marvel hasn't tried this before given the greater popularity of their movies. It only makes sense to capitalize on the the superhero boom before it fades completely. It's just a matter of having the follow-through to put out a good series in addition to good first issues, to keep advertising the hell out of it and garnering new customers, and a little bit of luck never hurts either.

As for the whole sexuality thing....well, it's not pretty, but I suppose from a certain point of view I get where they're coming from. As always, the bottom line is that sex sells. Yes, that can be considered cheap pandering, but when you're trying to appeal to the masses, sometimes cheap pandering is the only way to go. Not exactly honorable or filled with integrity, but I'd say if they can confine the, um....'teenage virgin' syndrome to one or two female characters and do good work with the rest, that would at least make the best of a bad situation.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Of course the FIRST issues sell like crazy.
After all, anyone can figure out a "genuine #1 Superman from 2011" will fetch a bazillion dollars on auction in 30-40 years :p

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm glad that they're doing this, it was way too hard to get into comics before. However, I'm dubious that these sales will last, it's just that big 1 on the covers that are doing it, plus I think comics like Red Hood and the Outlaws will crash and burn after that first issue.

InsanelyZanter

Aug 8, 2010
marscentral said:
That blog post, while interesting, does change the characters somewhat. The plan for DC was to revitalise their characters, not re-imagine them entirely.
Valid, that was their intention. But I think is a huge missed opportunity. They are setting everything to square one. A huge mass of characters that have little overlap in their origins and themes are being reset.

If they insist on putting every main character out at the same time, (Which is stupid. Imagine if any other long running series rebooted and introduced every character in the first issues. It's only getting by because of iconic characters that have to be in the limelight.) why not change it for the better? Switch up the characters for new story possibilities, make it feel like a cohesive universe.

Right now the changes they made are either not significant enough to be interesting, or downright insulting.

Oct 30, 2010
I suppose it may be a whole new generation, but anyone with a copy of X-Men #1 isn't buying these books to re-sell down the road.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Paragon Fury said:
I'm still trying to find whatever issue that supposed "new" Starfire is in. I'd like to....."investigate".....certain "claims".
Trust me, that Red Hood issue will insult your intelligence.

(Yeah, I, um, 'investigated' those 'claims.')
Well I have now thoroughly "investigated" said issue and I have two thoughts on the matter.

1: "RAH! Angry gender-biased depiction of Starfire is demeaning to women RAH!"

2: Damn. Is is she looking for more "friends"?
It would've been so much better if it was just some other character. Starfire was an interesting superhero back in her inception, and she was great in the CN Teen Titans.

I'm also pissed about Batgirl. Oracle was way too cool.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Jonny49 said:
I'm not so sure about that. General reception to most of the books seems to be more on the positive side than the negative side.
Positive reviews don't always translate into positive sales. Certain books will carry on selling regardless simply based on name alone, like Batman or Superman, while others are more niche. Every book has an audience, it's just people have to find out what they do or don't like, and books will inevitably drop in sales.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
InsanelyZanter said:
marscentral said:
That blog post, while interesting, does change the characters somewhat. The plan for DC was to revitalise their characters, not re-imagine them entirely.
Valid, that was their intention. But I think is a huge missed opportunity. They are setting everything to square one. A huge mass of characters that have little overlap in their origins and themes are being reset.

If they insist on putting every main character out at the same time, (Which is stupid. Imagine if any other long running series rebooted and introduced every character in the first issues. It's only getting by because of iconic characters that have to be in the limelight.) why not change it for the better? Switch up the characters for new story possibilities, make it feel like a cohesive universe.

Right now the changes they made are either not significant enough to be interesting, or downright insulting.
Not everything has been set to square one though, Green Lantern has carried on with Sinestro getting a GL ring among other things. The various #1s aren't set at the same time either, Action is set at the beginning of Superman's career while Superman is set when he's more established.

There's nothing wrong with the DCU as it was, characters don't need to have related origins to be interesting (in fact, that's something I like about the DCU). If they had re-imagined the universe, these characters stop being Superman and Batman and become characters inspired by them instead. There's nothing wrong with that, Stan Lee did it excellently a few years back, but that really would have provoked some serious fan back lash.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
This is far too early to judge whether this is a success or not comercially or creatively. Check how they're doing in a year or two. Don't underestimate the sales boost #1's have.

Personally I'm reading all 52 issues: there's some real crap (Green Arrow, Hawk & Dove, among others) and there's some books that are better than they were before. Despite being overtly to get new readers on board quite a few of the titles either carry straight on (Batwoman) or do a bad job of introducing things to new readers (in particular the LEGION books). There's a few things that I expect will change back to how they used to be in the near future. Despite liking continuity personally I think they could've hit the reboot button a little harder.

There's also a fairly high level of repetition of some elements: certain tropes like violent shadowy forces (government or otherwise), fractured storytelling (excessive reliance on flashback/flashforward), and excessive clusmy use of inner monologue. While these of course existed before, reading the 52 as a sort of a snap shot of where DC currently is - I think these problems could be dealt with with better editing.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Farson89 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Korten12 said:
Paragon Fury said:
I'm still trying to find whatever issue that supposed "new" Starfire is in. I'd like to....."investigate".....certain "claims".
I also heard about that not even beind a comic-fan. (did like the show Teen Titans so I was interested) and then I found out the reboot of starfire made her a slut.
Wait...what? Explain please. The Titans are the only ones I follow out of the DC universe, and I haven't heard anything about any of them yet. Did they do anything to Raven?
Starfire spends the entirety of the first issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 posing and offering sex to her team-mates. She has slept with both of them by the end of the issue. Her contribution to the actual plot? Nothing.

As for Raven, she isn't a member of the Teen Titans right now but she may come back later, as far as we know she's unchanged.
That. Sucks. Thanks for filling me in on Starfire. I hope they don't do something insane to Raven.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I ...spent a little bit too much time on this thread. Didn't expect ..yeah >_>

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
Kalezian said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
I side with MovieBob on this one: The impressive sales figures are not so much the result of a bold new direction, but moreso because they're advertising the shit out of it. They're selling better because they're getting a lot of press outside of the usual places and reaching new people.

That being said, has anyone here read any of the new stuff? How is it?

let me pull up a comic real quick:

It's selling good, but that doesn't mean us readers who grew up with the old super heroes like seeing them get screwed up and written like they were entirely different people.
I get the whole "the cartoon is better than the comic book thing" I remember thinking it when reading "Legends of the Dark Knight" while watching "Batman: The Animated Series." It's a problem, but it's not new. [a href="http://www.snpp.com/episodes/4F12.html"](They never did get to the fireworks factory in the comic.)[/a]

Corporate comics have the problem of inducting bad fan fiction into the official continuity. (And the comics existing fandom will sometimes be the biggest defenders of said bad fan-fiction.)

That's why I read [a href="http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trailers/545079/the-goon.jhtml"]"The Goon."[/a]

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
You know ive heard this said before, but ive yet to find anyone i know whos read them and can tell me whats changed...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
See, I'm scared to start buying comics for two reason:
1) They'll just reboot it again in a few years

or

2) they'll undo the reboot after the #1 buyers move on and the hardcore fans that've always been with them complain loud enough.

Either way, DC is notorious for rebooting over and over, and it gets REALLY hard to invest myself in a comic or a character knowing they'll be erased completely and restarted from scratch in a decade or so.