DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

The hero will be coming out of the closet in June.

When you get down to it, there's something about superhero comics that is just inherently homoerotic. You have these strapping, square-jawed men in skin-tight spandex with rippling muscles forging lasting bonds with equally spandex-clad muscle-men - it's like the locker room after a football game. In that light, it's a wonder that there aren't more openly gay superheroes. However, DC Comics says that one of its major heroes will be soon joining the ranks of Northstar and the Midnighter as an openly gay crimefighter.

Speaking at the Kapow comic convention in London, DC co-publisher Dan DiDio was asked about DC's policies regarding its universe "reboot" and the reimagining of its historic characters. DC had previously said that any LGBT characters would be newly introduced rather than existing characters reworked. But why, DiDio was asked, was it okay to change a character's age, race, size, or any other number of features that made them identifiable, yet sexual orientation was off the table?

DiDio answered that DC had in fact reevaluated that policy as well. In fact, he said, a storyline in June would reintroduce a character who had previously been portrayed as heterosexual as gay. This superhero would be "one of our most prominent gay characters," said DiDio.

Predictably, this answer caused quite a stir, with many across the internet trying to figure out which of DC's many, many characters would be coming out of the closet. A statement from DC's Senior VP of Publicity Courtney Simmons narrowed it down, when she confirmed to ABC Burbank [http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/05/comics-cliffhanger-as-unnamed-dc-superhero-to-come-out-of-closet/] that one of DC's "major iconic" characters will "reveal that he is gay in a storyline in June." So we know that the hero in question is male, and that he is considered an "iconic" level character.

That slims the field down considerably. The only male DC superheroes I can think of who would be considered "iconic" are Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and maybe Aquaman. Any one of these coming out of the closet would be a huge deal, as he would easily be the most high-profile gay hero in the comics business - how many people who don't follow comics have heard of Wiccan or Apollo?

In all seriousness, while I applaud DC for making one of its major characters gay, I can't shake the feeling that this is little more than a stunt. Whether it's to keep pace with the mood of the country following President Obama's declaration of support of gay marriage, or to keep pace with rival publisher Marvel, who just announced [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/21/marvels-gay-marriage-news-to-hit-the-view/] that two of its gay heroes would be getting married - it feels a bit more exploitative than it does genuine.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and maybe DC will treat the subject matter with the seriousness it deserves. Maybe the high profile nature of the character will make it so that instead of being "that gay superhero," he'll be "that awesome superhero who fights crime, and oh yeah he happens to like dudes." I would love for that to be the case.

I just hope it isn't Aquaman. Making the "joke" superhero gay would feel like a pretty sleazy thing to do.

Source: BleedingCool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/20/dc-comics-to-switch-established-characters-sexual-orientation-soon/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I just hope DC handles it a bit better than Marvel's recent attempts. Young Avenger's Hulkling and Wiccan can be hard to watch sometimes. Its one of the most cliched romances I have seen in a comic book. It seems writers forget how to utilize subtly when trying to send the message "HEY CHECK IT OUT! THESE TEENAGE SUPER HEROES ARE GAY!" Yeah, we get it. Don't understand why their relationship has to be 100% of their characters though (at least in Hulkling's case... Wiccan has some other stuff going for him).

/rant

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This will go over about as well as Online DRM. They couldn't have come up with a new superhero? They had to change an existing one. Alienating part of those readers, so another group of readers can feel better about themselves. Great choice DC!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
One thing about DC, they aren't afraid to shake things up. At best this is only temporary though. In another 10 years they will reboot the whole universe again and they will shake things up again by making their most iconic gay superhero strait.

It's all the lack of continuity that makes me not read their comics that much. Pretty much everyone else does that better.

Edit: Also, it's gonna be Aquaman, if there was any hero in DC that was in the closet anyway, it was him.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Obviously it's Batman.

Has Robin made a return in the reboot? I don't really follow it.

I assure you those two lines are unrelated.

xedobubble

Apr 2, 2009
It's always interesting that Aquaman is still considered a joke hero. He was a worthless 'talks to fish' guy in Super Friends, and most people today probably haven't even seen it - they've just seen him mocked in Family Guy and so forth. Like the superimposed sound effects from the Adam West batman series, it's something that just became an indelible part of the public perception even though it was in an adaptation of the still-ongoing source material.

On topic: Hopefully DC is actually changing the character and intending this change to be permanent, as opposed to doing a temporary stunt for publicity. It's already insulting to have superman, batman, cap, and the human torch die and return in a desperate effort to make buzz and headlines. How atrocious would it be for characters to temporarily change orientation as an attention-grabber?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay betting time gentlemen.

Will it be Batman? Dude dresses like a bat and beats people up in his pants. Sure he seems to like the ladies, but he also has a real issue seeing one lady and liking just that lady. Might be looking at them all and being insecure about his feelings before the answer he was looking for was actually a penis. Odds are kinda low there.

Will it be Superman? He dresses so flamboyantly it's like he sprays himself with fabulous every morning. Does like the ladies though, that's confirmed. Odds are very low.

Will it be Wonder Woman? Every chance that Wonder Woman is since she's an Amazon and, in history, Amazonian women hated men, so she could very well be a lesbian. Plus it'd be great fanservice among male comic fans. Odds are kinda high.

Perhaps Aquaman? I mean he...

Wow... okay. Odds are stupid high. It's probably Aquaman.

Calumon: So is gay people liking the same people as them like boy and boy? Why's that a big deal?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
John Funk said:
I just hope it isn't Aquaman. Making the "joke" superhero gay would feel like a pretty sleazy thing to do.
agreed

i hope its Super Man my self, though that's the part of me that dislikes him, thus wants something to laugh at while his fan-base burns a few forums down in butthurt rage.

realistically?

I'm calling the Flash or Green Lantern though.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
If it's Aquaman I will be very disappointed at its predictability.

PS: here's hoping for a bisexual character, rather than being pinned down to just attracted to one gender which would be hard as I think ALL the characters have expressed at least some interest in the opposite gender.

PPS: But that wouldn't be contradictory really as bisexual simply means homosexual AND heterosexual. Hetero/homosexual doesn't mean EXCLUSIVE interests, just that that interests is there. it's like :
"I like fish"
"But I saw you eating beef earlier!"
"I also like Beef..."

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!
Neh, if going by Arkham City, he has a thing for Catwomen and Talia Al Ghul.

OT: I'm guessing The Flash or Green Lanturn

However i would love it to be Beast Boy or Cyborg :')

For everyone saying "Aquaman" somehow i doubt it, remember he does like fish...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Comic books are gay..."not that there's anything wrong with that."
I was actually surprised to see the "come on it's Aquaman" comments pop up quicker than the "come on it's Batman" comments. However the Batman and Robin implication implies more than homosexuality. Wasn't Robin a kid?

I'm just wringing my hands in hopes that it's Wonder Woman.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
martian manhunter obviously. He's an alien and he's just a little head in the background, not iconic at all. This way they can make a gay character and still make it look different from the norm. Win/win, sorta. Though in all honesty it should be Wonder Woman. She is into bondage after all.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Didn't Grant Morrison recently say he thinks Batman is probably gay? And if you look at him as a character it makes a lot of sense. Batman being gay really wouldn't bug me, sexuality is really not a big deal. People need to understand that pulling stuff like this doesn't help make sexuality less of a big deal, it makes it a bigger deal.

If it is Bats I just hope they don't make it into his sole character trait. Sexuality is incidental, leave it that way.
Although this would make for some very interesting Joker storylines in the future. Preying on Batman's sexual weakness always makes for Joker's most interesting moments.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Will it be Wonder Woman? Every chance that Wonder Woman is since she's an Amazon and, in history, Amazonian women hated men, so she could very well be a lesbian. Plus it'd be great fanservice among male comic fans. Odds are kinda high.

i thought about that, but seems like the low hanging fruit

Calumon: So is gay people liking the same people as them like boy and boy? Why's that a big deal?
I'm voting for Calumon for president. comments like this make me think he'd be a great leader, or least better then the ones we have