DDO Mods Accidentally Go Ban-Crazy

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
DDO Mods Accidentally Go Ban-Crazy

Turbine accidentally turned Chaotic Evil with its ban-hammer over the weekend, though now it seems to be acting in a Lawful Good fashion. Does that mean it's True Neutral?

A recent Halloween event in Dungeons and Dragons Online seems to have bestowed more tricks than treats on players. Yesterday, a number of three-day bans from the game were given out by Turbine's GMs because a number of players were apparently taking advantage of an unnamed exploit that popped up during "Mabar, The Endless Night Festival." While this may seem fair, it turns out that a lot of the players weren't even aware that the exploit existed. To make matters worse, the bans hit right after Turbine's customer support left for the evening.

According to Massively, Turbine sent the following message out to players who were banned:

"Recently we conducted an investigation into an exploit that was being utilized in Dungeons and Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, involving our recent Mabar, The Endless Night Festival. As a result of that investigation, your account has been identified in utilizing this exploit. Please be advised that use of an exploit is strictly prohibited by our Code of Conduct.

At least two threads discussing the bannings have been deleted from the DDO forums. However, in a recent update to the story, it turns out that many of the bannings happened by mistake, thanks to an error in the "exploit suspension process".

Turbine's Tolero <a href=http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3400340>posted the following message to let the community know what happened:

Last night, some DDO players received erroneous temporary suspensions or warnings regarding an exploit. Due to a technical issue in our exploit suspension process some players participating in the Mabar festival event were incorrectly notified of a rules violation. Any accounts that were temporarily banned as a result of this issue will have their account access restored and will be credited 100 Turbine Points. Any accounts that received warnings will have those warnings removed from their record.

This error was an isolated incident and should have no further impact for any DDO players. As always, we welcome player feedback on all aspects of DDO and continually seek to improve the quality of the service we provide to players.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or confusion and thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue.

Source: Massively

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I hate to bring this up but I wonder if their audience acted in the same way we did during the Great Banning of 2010. Twitter was alive with the sounds of screaming!

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Am I the only one wondering what exactly could be considered an exploit by their "exploit suspension process" (what?) but also be something the banned players were often unaware of?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
vansau said:
Turbine accidentally turned Chaotic Evil with its ban-hammer over the weekend, though now it seems to be acting in a Lawful Good fashion. Does that mean it's True Neutral?
I'm pretty sure this just means they take an xp penalty for bad roleplaying and lose double favor with BOTH their chosen deities. You'll have to ask their DM to be sure, tho. I'd be careful tho, shareholders hate allowing saving throws.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
RatRace123 said:
That sucks for all the DDO players, I wonder if they'll go to WoW now?
actually, DDO is where ex WoW player's go :p and people who like D&D and hate WoW.

i hate WoW, love D&D, and a few friends are the same way, and i've been playing DDO since the closed beta's b4 launch :p

ShwimShwam

Sep 28, 2009
Kevonovitch said:
RatRace123 said:
actually, DDO is where ex WoW player's go :p and people who like D&D and hate WoW.

i hate WoW, love D&D, and a few friends are the same way, and i've been playing DDO since the closed beta's b4 launch :p
Or people who are too cheap to pay for $15 a month. Just putting that out there.

Also, the mods are always ban crazy. I got banned within 30 minutes of making my first character.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Kevonovitch said:
RatRace123 said:

But I play both what does that make me. :(

Anyhow, Tuesday to Wednesday is hardly over the weekend.

Oh my god some many threads got deleted I lost count. It was a very interesting night; I almost didn't make it online to play because of all the top notch forum drama.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Customer service should never take the night off. There should be a damn night staff and they should always be able to directly talk to the developers simply because stuff like this happens.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
To me it just sounds like a mod got drunk and crazy. I don't see how your "exploit suspension system" can be so broken it just randomly bans people.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Turbine's mod/support teams are filled with assholes.

I got a 3 day temp ban in LOTRO for saying "cocks" in private chat.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
Kevonovitch said:
RatRace123 said:

True I started with WoW and didn't like it and went with ddo besides I play D&D pen and paper and I'm a rouge and the stealth system is great in ddo and WoW... Not so much

Kaez

Jan 11, 2010
I got frustrated with the forum Drama, I was unaffected and this is a bit laughable, but the forum posts over on the offical forums..... well way too many people take it way to eriously.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Fortunately for them, the addition of 100 turbine points to accidentally banned accounts and the humble apology gave them a +5 circumstance bonus on what was only a DC10 "Acrobatics: Backpedal" check in the first place. It would seem that when Turbine made DDO free, their DM gave them a Belt of Great Prowess.
SaintWaldo said:
vansau said:
I'm pretty sure this just means they take an xp penalty for bad roleplaying and lose double favor with BOTH their chosen deities. You'll have to ask their DM to be sure, tho. I'd be careful tho, shareholders hate allowing saving throws.