de-rez: E3 Trailers

the_geordie

Mar 2, 2008
Loved the "Baby Rage Meter" and the "Heroin Level Meter"!

Another original episode !!

I want that voice.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Shooting up smack and killing babies is my past time! That game would so make my life easier with the fuzz.

Relgaro

May 30, 2008
I actually come to The escapist for De-Rez now more than ZP, i mean yeh i like ZP but theres something about De-Rez that reminds me so much of todays typical british humour, i put De-rez up there with Simon Pegg.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
CaptainCrunch post=6.68205.625216 said:
I want the Baby Killer soundtrack.

Chrisos post=6.68205.623658 said:
Sexellent - My new favourite word. That word alone qualifies this offering as genius.
What about Sexecutioner?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexecutioner

(I'll let you look up the lyrics yourself.)
Oh yeah another GWAR connoisseur !

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I think Chris owes it to himself to at least at the minimum, turn voiceman into a half life 2 mod.

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
That baby killing part was simply horrible, a little bit too much and not enough at the same time. Too violent to be funny and not violent enough to be parodic. Swing and a miss IMO, or maybe rather a stab and a miss.

Also, I would have missed that "Baby rage meter" if I wouldn't have read the comments in here, it was almost covered by the escapist logo text and black text was definitely wrong color for it, killers black jacket made it unseeable for the most of the time and the silly meter didn't even seem to work.

Voice Man on the other hand was great. The gameplay footage really made it look like a very versatile game, zombies, fighting against other people and the mystery of the stolen voice too. I would like to play that game now, good stories are always nice!

Loved the Voice Man's new voice, I was expecting a really bad dub or something. Narrators voice was also good, better voice talents in this clip than in some real games.

gasto

Apr 16, 2008
Man, what Chris Slack provokes(laughter and entertainment), the other bad-actors take away. Just get some nice actors or don't Use them, Chris!

Video editing and effects are getting better though.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Not 100% in good taste but it has many good lines in it. Good job and I hope you found that maternity ward.

Jabez

May 23, 2008
I understand what/how the characters were saying things and the motivations/devices in this episode. I've also seen a few other episodes of De-Rez, but this, like the others (like Yahtzee's Biggest Fan, the Jack Thompson stints, etc) didn't tickle my fancy. Some observations for your leisure:

The "Baby Killer" installment was dumb and tasteless. I'm not sure if it was meant to be a parody, but it looked like a mutated hybrid of Grand Theft Auto (the gritty, pulse-paced controversy of the subject matter), NARC on PS2 (your 'heroin meter' to do some serious damage), and poorly edited scenes of a slasher film (the slow moving person in dark clothing walking to the slow moving guy with the baby doll). The effects were flashy, yes, but it's so transparent and it did nothing to warrant a gasp or chuckle (from me, anyway)

The "Voice Man" installment had an interesting name and premise (reminds me of a Mega Man Robot Master), but it degenerated into a samey, tripe vengeance story with a guy who wakes up with a scar on his throat with a different voice, and he goes around with a firearm killing 'mentally/physically disabled' zombies. Again, it didn't work, and the "S for Sexcellent" felt cheap and tacked on. But I have an idea for this:

I figured that you would've had a first-person perspective of the camera treading through a dark labyrinth (maybe an apartment, or hell, a church) manipulating the environment with only your voice. You could use your effects to trigger colorful 'noise circles' in which you could activate a door/lever, or it could be saying you need to retrack (camera turns around) to another portion of the place, where you encounter other embodiments of sound (again, with your effects) and fight them by screaming, cursing, or whatever. If you did something like that, and tried to infuse this aspect with humor, I'd probably laugh and crap my pants. Just a suggestion, in case you wish to revisit this concept.

Overall, eh...what can I say, I felt it was average. I've read some other comments here and it seems to be relative to British humor (like Simon Pegg...I watched Hot Fuzz and merely smiled at one or two scenes, but most of it flew over my head; yeah, I admit it, I understand British humor, but it doesn't make me 'LOLZ') The automated audience, however, delivered a tang of nostalgia, like watching a live-broadcasted show from the fifties and sixties, so I thought it was okay.

Best of luck on future installments.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
I'm not sure what to think about this. The whole baby killer thing seemed in bad taste yet it was such a perfect depiction of a marketing departments mentality.

Aug 21, 2008
I know everyone else liked Voiceman the best, but bugger that, I think there's a niche in gaming for heroin-crazed baby slayers. All it needed was some racism, otherwise it would've been a perfect gaming concept.

Lickin' moi cockney lips in anticipation for its release, I am.

Aug 21, 2008
Jabez post=6.68205.639885 said:
I understand what/how the characters were saying things and the motivations/devices in this episode. I've also seen a few other episodes of De-Rez, but this, like the others (like Yahtzee's Biggest Fan, the Jack Thompson stints, etc) didn't tickle my fancy. Some observations for your leisure:

The "Baby Killer" installment was dumb and tasteless. I'm not sure if it was meant to be a parody, but it looked like a mutated hybrid of Grand Theft Auto (the gritty, pulse-paced controversy of the subject matter), NARC on PS2 (your 'heroin meter' to do some serious damage), and poorly edited scenes of a slasher film (the slow moving person in dark clothing walking to the slow moving guy with the baby doll). The effects were flashy, yes, but it's so transparent and it did nothing to warrant a gasp or chuckle (from me, anyway)

The "Voice Man" installment had an interesting name and premise (reminds me of a Mega Man Robot Master), but it degenerated into a samey, tripe vengeance story with a guy who wakes up with a scar on his throat with a different voice, and he goes around with a firearm killing 'mentally/physically disabled' zombies. Again, it didn't work, and the "S for Sexcellent" felt cheap and tacked on. But I have an idea for this:

I figured that you would've had a first-person perspective of the camera treading through a dark labyrinth (maybe an apartment, or hell, a church) manipulating the environment with only your voice. You could use your effects to trigger colorful 'noise circles' in which you could activate a door/lever, or it could be saying you need to retrack (camera turns around) to another portion of the place, where you encounter other embodiments of sound (again, with your effects) and fight them by screaming, cursing, or whatever. If you did something like that, and tried to infuse this aspect with humor, I'd probably laugh and crap my pants. Just a suggestion, in case you wish to revisit this concept.

Overall, eh...what can I say, I felt it was average. I've read some other comments here and it seems to be relative to British humor (like Simon Pegg...I watched Hot Fuzz and merely smiled at one or two scenes, but most of it flew over my head; yeah, I admit it, I understand British humor, but it doesn't make me 'LOLZ') The automated audience, however, delivered a tang of nostalgia, like watching a live-broadcasted show from the fifties and sixties, so I thought it was okay.

Best of luck on future installments.

With so many fascinating suggestions on how to improve an (intentionally?) imperfect video, maybe you should have your own little place next to yahtzee in the 'new videos' column.

How you managed to be overlooked despite your evident genius and eye for wit astounds me.

Or rather, it would, had you not revealed yourself to be impervious to dry humour by bagging 'Hot Fuzz'.

Ya bastard.

Jabez

May 23, 2008
To Greasemoicockpal...: Your comments humble me. I'm more of a writer and have little to no experience with handling film or comedy. As for me being overlooked, well, that's simple: I don't post here often (I did, however, write two recent reviews: one for Afro Samurai, and one for Mega Man X8, if you'd like to check those out). I'm not sure if advertising about this sort of thing is illegal, but meh, you know. Thanks a bunch, sarcasm or not.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=6.68205.713607 said:
mhitman post=7.68205.713568 said:
Should make voiceman into a full game :d
I'd buy that for a dollar!
Everytime I hear that quote I want to play Super Smash TV and listen to Mr.Bungle !