Dead Island Dev Reveals Final Playable Character

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dead Island Dev Reveals Final Playable Character

Cop-turned-bodyguard Purna joins the survivors on Dead Island.

Developer Techland and publisher Deep Silver have revealed the fourth character in open-world zombie game Dead Island's [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Island-Xbox-360/dp/B004PAGJOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313164008&sr=8-1] roster, former Australian police officer, Purna; seemingly the game's answer to Resident Evil's Sheva Alomar.

[gallery=411]

According to her bio, Purna's career in law enforcement came to an end when she took the law into her own hands and killed a child molester whose money and status protected him from any legal repercussions. After leaving the Sydney police department, she started working as a bodyguard for VIPs, a job that took her all over the world. She's a good bodyguard, but her good looks have apparently also proved a blessing, as her male clients rather enjoy being guarded by a good-looking woman.

Purna joins hotel employee Xian Mei, one-hit-wonder rapper Sam B, and former Football player Logan. She doesn't have the best back story in the world, but I don't think that Dead Island's best features are going to be its characterization and narrative.

Dead Island comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on September 6th.

Source: via Team Xbox [http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/24441/Dead-Island-Final-Playable-Character-Revealed/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. An Australian character. Not something you see all that often.

If I get this game, I may end up playing as her just for the novelty of hearing a voice from home in a game. Although they might have someone from a different country putting on a Australian accent.

Actually, that would be even better. Listening to other people trying to imitate our twang is usually pretty hilarious.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Just gimme the game already, I want to kill things till they are dead .... again.

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
I've heard a lot of people complaining that the characters in this game are too idealised or stereotyped, or sexualised, or whatever. This place is a holiday island, for Petes' sake, people will be wearing bikinis and have specifically lost wieght before arriving. They're welcome to play as a middle-aged obese dude in a speedo, meanwhile, I'll be over here with Purna.

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
The sheer fact that she is Australian - and hopefully Aboriginal Australian - makes this game instant gold for me. Brilliant.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Zhukov said:
Actually, that would be even better. Listening to other people trying to imitate our twang is usually pretty hilarious.
True. I hope this turns out to be good though, it's looking alright so far but I've been disappointed enough times to not want to get my hopes up.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
What an interesting character....a female that is...not annoying...a loli...or complete batshit insane

You have earned +1 Respect Dead Island (to bad I will not buy you new!)

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
Considering the recent horror show Techland just developed I'll wait for reviews on this one. Plus, I'm so over zombies, vampires and all that shit.

Dec 27, 2010
CarrionRoc said:
Considering the recent horror show Techland just developed I'll wait for reviews on this one. Plus, I'm so over zombies, vampires and all that shit.
I share similar thoughts, although I may not even be able to trust reviewers to actually criticize it, considering how much hype it's trailer has brought on.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Am I the only one who doesn't give two hoots about all the characters and just wants to play as the Dad from the trailer. He was way more awesome then everyone combined. I don't care if he's part off a side-story, I want his story!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not that I mind that she killed a kiddie fiddler, but that has to be the laziest attempt to make a character likable yet a renegade badass at the same time.

Did she also save a box filled with kittens from a burning building agianst her superior's orders?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
she took the law into her own hands and killed a child molester whose money and status protected him from any legal repercussions.
Wait she worked in Sin City? Awesome.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Zac Smith said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give two hoots about all the characters and just wants to play as the Dad from the trailer. He was way more awesome then everyone combined. I don't care if he's part off a side-story, I want his story!
You already saw his story. He got eaten alive by zombies in his apartment shortly after throwing his daughter to her death and watching his wife die in front of him, in what was meant to be a fun holiday they had saved up years to afford.
See, now I made myself a little depressed. =(

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
What's the deal with this game? Thus far it looks like an open world Left 4 Dead. Don't get me wrong, that sounds awesome, but not as revolutionary as everyone seems to be claiming.
Feel free to enlighten me - I don't actually know all that much about it.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
ultimateownage said:
Zac Smith said:
You already saw his story. He got eaten alive by zombies in his apartment shortly after throwing his daughter to her death and watching his wife die in front of him, in what was meant to be a fun holiday they had saved up years to afford.
See, now I made myself a little depressed. =(
What about before and after that though, you're not even sure he did die, I'm certain that it was said that the other survivors were immune to the zombie outbreak. He just seems much more interesting and likable then the other, who to me seem so 1 dimensionable