Dead Island Dev Reveals Final Playable Character

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Zac Smith said:
ultimateownage said:
Zac Smith said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give two hoots about all the characters and just wants to play as the Dad from the trailer. He was way more awesome then everyone combined. I don't care if he's part off a side-story, I want his story!
You already saw his story. He got eaten alive by zombies in his apartment shortly after throwing his daughter to her death and watching his wife die in front of him, in what was meant to be a fun holiday they had saved up years to afford.
See, now I made myself a little depressed. =(
What about before and after that though, you're not even sure he did die, I'm certain that it was said that the other survivors were immune to the zombie outbreak. He just seems much more interesting and likable then the other, who to me seem so 1 dimensionable
Well we haven't played the game yet, so I'm sure they will be fleshed out more in-game. The characters of L4D 1 and 2 weren't very fleshed out outside of the game either. Besides, I'll take any chance I get to play as a guy with a mohican.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Too much marketing hype. Very tired of it, I'll be glad when this game is released, not because I'm hyped to play it now (that point came and gone about 2 months ago thank you very much) but simply because I am so damn bloody tired of hearing about it.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Zac Smith said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give two hoots about all the characters and just wants to play as the Dad from the trailer. He was way more awesome then everyone combined. I don't care if he's part off a side-story, I want his story!
You should play Deadrising 2 then if you haven't already.

OT: After seeing the gameplay trailer for this, I'm not sure if I want it anymore. Yea the combat flows just as well as I thought it would, but the characters are done Borderlands style where they sit in one spot until you talk to them which brings up the ever so lovable mission hub thing.
The original trailer promised something more than just zombie killing, but now that I've seen more, that doesn't seem to be the case. At least the characters in L4D had simple conversations every now and again, and that was enough character development for me right there.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
... but I don't think that Dead Island's best features are going to be its characterization and narrative.
Given the original trailer, this is incredibly ironic xD

Still, I can't wait for this game.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
J03bot said:
What's the deal with this game? Thus far it looks like an open world Left 4 Dead. Don't get me wrong, that sounds awesome, but not as revolutionary as everyone seems to be claiming.
Feel free to enlighten me - I don't actually know all that much about it.
It takes the open environments from Far Cry 2, the improvised weapon combination system from Dead Rising, 2, the rpg elements from Borderlands, and the zombie hoards from Left 4 Dead and mixes them all together. That will either be the greatest thing ever or it will crash and burn horribly. Either way it will be quite a show.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
According to her bio, Purna's career in law enforcement came to an end when she took the law into her own hands and killed a child molester whose money and status protected him from any legal repercussions.
That's funny. Last I checked Roman Polanski was still alive.

DocGrimm

Apr 8, 2009
Am i the only one who thinks she looks kind of like Taraji P. Henson?
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1206420736/nm0378245

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Goddamnit.

And Biohazard Outbreak, yet again, is the only game in the entire zombie universe that does not include characters who automatically know how to use a vast array of highly lethal weaponry. People who, you know, might actually EXIST.

FFS. How many goddamn times am I going to play Chris Redfield with tits?!

And beyond that ... Purna is an Indian word. She's not Aboriginal. Hell, no more than I am, anyway.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
JohnTomorrow said:
The sheer fact that she is Australian - and hopefully Aboriginal Australian - makes this game instant gold for me. Brilliant.
I don't quite know what they're going for with this character. You would assume she's meant to be Aboriginal (because in my experience other dark-skinned racial groups are in short supply in Australia).

But... If so, the character model was clearly designed by someone unfamiliar with what they actually look like...

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
God, but it sure looks co-oped focused. I'm sure I'd like this game if you could just follow anyone's story. Though, some people say it's just more Zomedy (zombie comedy).

Where's my lone, serious zombie-survival epic. :(

SiegeJack

Jun 17, 2010
Actually, the family from the trailer are going to appear in-game. And, on a mostly unrelated note, the trailer won an award.

As much as I have been clamoring for this game, especially in light of Possession being vaporware, I don't like any of the characters. They all seem to be vaguely... RPG? Borderlands?
Something based. IE: One character's a tank, another's a sneak-thief type character and I'm not one to pick and try each class.

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
JohnTomorrow said:
The sheer fact that she is Australian - and hopefully Aboriginal Australian - makes this game instant gold for me. Brilliant.
I don't quite know what they're going for with this character. You would assume she's meant to be Aboriginal (because in my experience other dark-skinned racial groups are in short supply in Australia).
But... If so, the character model was clearly designed by someone unfamiliar with what they actually look like...
I agree.....the character designer has clearly never seen an aboriginal woman in his/her life....unless they pull some shit like 'she was born in Somalia and moved to Australia when she was a kid' or something....either that, or its a stylised Aboriginal, or they actually found a model who looks like that. They are out there. They're not all bumming cigs and screaming at each other at the local train station >.<

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
JohnTomorrow said:
CrystalShadow said:
JohnTomorrow said:
I agree.....the character designer has clearly never seen an aboriginal woman in his/her life....unless they pull some shit like 'she was born in Somalia and moved to Australia when she was a kid' or something....either that, or its a stylised Aboriginal, or they actually found a model who looks like that. They are out there. They're not all bumming cigs and screaming at each other at the local train station >.<
Lol, oh, I know that. I used to live in the NT, as well as seeing what's been going on in places like Sydney.

You get all the bad racial stereotypes, and the stuff directed entirely at tourists. But nonetheless it's hard to escape the most obvious conclusion here...
And it's unlikely to be the artist trying to make any meaningful point about racial stereotypes.

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
JohnTomorrow said:
CrystalShadow said:
JohnTomorrow said:
Lol, oh, I know that. I used to live in the NT, as well as seeing what's been going on in places like Sydney.
You get all the bad racial stereotypes, and the stuff directed entirely at tourists. But nonetheless it's hard to escape the most obvious conclusion here...
And it's unlikely to be the artist trying to make any meaningful point about racial stereotypes.
In a zombie game? Nope! XD

And yeah, in WA we get all the stereotypes. It really sucks for the full-bloods who just wanna take care of their culture or just wanna be left alone.

The more i think about it, the more i doubt this character is gonna be anything Australian at all. Perhaps an accent, but thats it. I mean....Purna? Doesn't sound like any Noongah name i've heard of...sounds suspiciously African. Which begs the question - did the developers just decide to throw in an Aussie backstory with an African character model because they want more black women in games, or was it an honest mistake?